5149 & 1/2

Status
Not open for further replies.

rananthony04

I know what a 5150 is, however, when I heard an officer in my city mention "..subject checked 10-4, was 5149 & 1/2.." I was a little confused until I realized that the subject was almost or nearly 5150. For anyone in LE, is this ever used, or was it just the officers way of describing the subject? Sounds like a dumb question, I had just never heard it before.

pfish

Premium Subscriber
May want to post the question in the California forum. 5150 is a California Welfare and Institutions Code (W&I).

However, I've heard it used quite a few times, and they always have a smirk on their face while they're saying it. I think it's just a polite way of saying they're "not quite there yet". :wink:

RolnCode3

Used all the time. Gotta' be careful that the person you're talking about doesn't know what it means (or acknowledges that they are). I've even seen 5150 tattooed before...needless to say, it was appropriate.

zz0468

QRT
Banned
I used to have a bumper sticker on my car that said "I'm 5149 1/2, so don't push". I saw many a motorcycle cop behind me laughing behind my back.

W4KRR

Premium Subscriber
That whole "5150" thing is only meaningful to anyone in or around CA. To people in other parts of the country, it means nothing.

pfish

Premium Subscriber
RolnCode3 said:
The same way "187" is? Go ask a gangster in Florida what 187 is and I bet he knows.

Same thing with 211. I've heard both in many songs (that were not from people in California).

rananthony04

W4KRR said:
That whole "5150" thing is only meaningful to anyone in or around CA. To people in other parts of the country, it means nothing.

What is used in place of "5150" in "other parts of the country"? I can't seem to remember off hand. I've lived here all my life and have been used to LE terminology in LA and Orange Co.[CA] I didn't realize California and/or adjacent agencies were possibly the only ones using the 5150.
-Robert

W4KRR

Premium Subscriber
rananthony04 said:
What is used in place of "5150" in "other parts of the country"? I can't seem to remember off hand. I've lived here all my life and have been used to LE terminology in LA and Orange Co.[CA] I didn't realize California and/or adjacent agencies were possibly the only ones using the 5150.
-Robert

I'm sure every state has their own unique statute numbers, there may be some duplication among states, but I would guess not. I couldn't tell you what's used here in Florida, or anywhere else for that matter.

car2back

we use "51/50" around here, but it's just slang that you get wrote up for saying on the radio :D :wink:

TechnoDave

A WHOLE lot of people know what 5150 is, because Van Halen had a CD by that title, it was explained many times on MTV (when they played music) and VH1.

car2back

At an agency where I used to work, a couple of wise guys tried using "dee-dee-dee" until one of the admins watched Mind of Mencia :lol:

Last edited:

SAR923

I can tell you for sure that the wanna-be's down here have heard of 187 since I saw one of the boys wearing a 187 medallion around his neck. I think the old Dragnet may have also popularized some California penal codes since the ending always had the (usually) correct section the suspect was charged with.

10-96 is sometimes used here for a 5150 but most often it's dispatched as a "mental case". Seems like a good use of plain English. :)

RolnCode3

MFD4305 said:
So - given all that knowledge - who knows what a "deuce" is? And I don't mean the car!
DUI. But the history of it is vague as far as I can tell...dunno where it originated. One theory was that it was 502 of the vehicle code...but I don't know for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.