Do you journal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ftwskies

How many of you journal what you hear when you monitor?

Do you spend time concentrating on monitoring, or do you prefer to listen more casually while you do other things (read, watch TV, surf the web, drive, etc.)?

When I was first getting into astronomy, I discovered (through some friendly advice from co-hobbyists) that my observing time was much more meaningful when I took the time to sketch and journal what I saw at the eyepiece.

I'm wondering if I wouldn't benefit similarly with monitoring, by keeping a notebook with time/date and what I pick up and listen to.

bonus1331

Really depends on the monitoring time. At times, I will spend the time while monitoring to research TGID's from Unitrunker or reprogram radios with additional TG's. Other times I will just surf the web or read a magazine.
Don't know how some people can watch TV while listening to their radios.

SCPD

QRT
I log lots of stuff I hear, for the first few years I used an exercise book but now do it on my computer.

landonjensen

I usually have my scanner on one channel on my feed, while my HT1000 usually very close to me on FD channel here. I always have one radio on no matter what im doing. Only exception is church. :)

ftwskies said:
How many of you journal what you hear when you monitor?

Do you spend time concentrating on monitoring, or do you prefer to listen more casually while you do other things (read, watch TV, surf the web, drive, etc.)?

When I was first getting into astronomy, I discovered (through some friendly advice from co-hobbyists) that my observing time was much more meaningful when I took the time to sketch and journal what I saw at the eyepiece.

I'm wondering if I wouldn't benefit similarly with monitoring, by keeping a notebook with time/date and what I pick up and listen to.

Jeremy429

I usually monitor while I'm online. I have a Uniden 796 by my desktop and a Pro96 downstairs by my laptop. Unless there is something major going on that I give the radio my full attention, I'm usually doing something else while listening.

w0fg

Scanning here isn't something that's "done", it's something that "is". I have at least one radio running in the background 24 hours a day; at home, at work, and in my vehicles. It's as much a part of the background noise as are the bird songs in the backyard or the traffic on the highway at the edge of town, and just as I will notice when a cardinal sings or a semi hits his jake brake, I'll notice when something of real interest comes up on the radio. I can't imagine listening to a scanner for an extended period of time as a primary activity, much less journaling it, but that's just me.

Status
Not open for further replies.