Need some expert help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

wildbillx

Premium Subscriber
I am reprogramming my dept. portable radios and ran into a problem. I can not get the HT1000 software to reconize the radio. I have tried everything except getting a dos computer. The software opens but says can not communicate to the rib box. If anyone has any ideas you can email direct at wildbillx@yahoo.com. THanks

obijohn

wildbillx said:
I am reprogramming my dept. portable radios and ran into a problem. I can not get the HT1000 software to reconize the radio. I have tried everything except getting a dos computer. The software opens but says can not communicate to the rib box. If anyone has any ideas you can email direct at wildbillx@yahoo.com. THanks

Bill...for the edification of everyone here...the HT1000/JT1000/Visar programming software
is meant to run in MS-DOS. Windows controls the serial port that the programmer interfaces to.

You cannot program or read a radio from a "DOS shell".

Radio programming software and windows do not play well together.

Get a DOS computer, Have it boot with MS-DOS 6.22. I think that is the last version made. It is a very stable version, I have found.

Disclaimer: I have not personally tried it with "M" software, but if you have windows 95 or 98SE you might try the boot into DOS option (F4?) at startup. I have done this with other manufacturers software, and they work ok. If you're using XP-forget it.

Good Luck.

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Hi all,

Lawdy lawdy lawdy, what an avatar! (;->)

"Get a DOS computer..."

What's a "DOS computer"? (;->) I >think< what the man meant was any old clunker will do, even an old 286 with minimal RAM and HD.

"Have it boot with MS-DOS 6.22."

Oh for Pete's sake, just load DOS and nothing else. The old beast won't run anything above Win V3.11 anyway but you can load that too (it's DOS supported and DOS is what boots to begin with) if you like to play with dinosaur bones just for fun.

"I think that is the last version made."

Yup. it was.

"It is a very stable version, I have found."

Have you ever heard of DOS being NOT stable? It was just about the most stable platform made, that's why it's still in use for certain critical applications. It's freakin' bullet proof, after a power failure it simply reboots and goes on it's merry way without complaint.

One caveat for those who never used it, you have to manually set up your DMAs, IRQs, memory assignments, ports, the whole magilla. Every later version of Windows that doesn't depend on DOS does it automatically making many of you computer illiterate in the process. I strongly suggest finding an old copy of DOS For Dummies if you are wondering what an IRQ is.

N4JNW

kb2vxa said:
Hi all,

Lawdy lawdy lawdy, what an avatar! (;->)

"Get a DOS computer..."

What's a "DOS computer"? (;->) I >think< what the man meant was any old clunker will do, even an old 286 with minimal RAM and HD.

"Have it boot with MS-DOS 6.22."

Oh for Pete's sake, just load DOS and nothing else. The old beast won't run anything above Win V3.11 anyway but you can load that too (it's DOS supported and DOS is what boots to begin with) if you like to play with dinosaur bones just for fun.

"I think that is the last version made."

Yup. it was.

"It is a very stable version, I have found."

Have you ever heard of DOS being NOT stable? It was just about the most stable platform made, that's why it's still in use for certain critical applications. It's freakin' bullet proof, after a power failure it simply reboots and goes on it's merry way without complaint.

One caveat for those who never used it, you have to manually set up your DMAs, IRQs, memory assignments, ports, the whole magilla. Every later version of Windows that doesn't depend on DOS does it automatically making many of you computer illiterate in the process. I strongly suggest finding an old copy of DOS For Dummies if you are wondering what an IRQ is.

We have an old IBM computer at the radio station that we do the traffic logs with. It runs a DOS program, which gets all the "numbers" for the hourly breaks programmed, in, and then off to a floppy the file goes, and is transferred to the Smarts computer which in turn airs the listed spot breaks at the time programmed.

It works really well, it's just older than the hills.

Status
Not open for further replies.