new to scannaning, some ideas???

Status
Not open for further replies.

coachmenguy

This is my first post on here and im lookin to get into the hobby of scanners, the setup im looking at is a uniden BCT8 with a radio shack 20-176 antenna mounted outside on a railing. I know this is a pretty basic starter unit but how will this sound for me?? what range could i expect, it will only be up about 12 feet or so from the ground. I've heard others say that the radio shack 20-176 is a great antenna for the price (25.00), so i plan to have about $200 into the whole unit. like i said, just a starter unit.
Also what would be my best bet for grounding that antenna mounted to a wooden porch post?? 8' gound pole???

screenersam

I hate motrbro
click on the 'wiki' icon near the top; they have a section on antennae.
here be some starter freqs for youse; 121.5 is air sos 156.8 is Coast Guard sos (don't know how close to the water you are); some Michigan freqs are 154.295 154.665 154.905 154.920 155.37 155.460 155.505 155.865
the database of course has lots of frequencies
good luck & happy scanning

wvd1979

I have two BCT8 units at home and they work pretty well. You will be able to pick up signals in the 800 mhz range as well as most trunked systems (non digital systems that is) I would double check to make sure that you don't need a digital scanner for your area. But your idea sounds pretty good; just be aware that programming the BCT8 might take some time if you are a beginner. Be prepared to spend an hour thumbing through the owner's manual and tinkering with your radio. The BCT8 is sort of a tricky radio if you hit the wrong button. But I like the two that I have, they sound great.

coachmenguy

How would i know if i need a digital scanner??? this sounds like the new wave so if i buy the bct8 how long before its out of date??? and im not exactly sure what "trunking" or "trunktracker" is, like i said im just back into this stuff, im a little rusty

mjthomas59

Check the database for your state/county/city and see if any of the systems are listed as APCO-25. If they are, then the BCT-8 will be worthless to you for monitoring those systems. I bought a BCT-8 a while back for about 60 bucks(found a great deal on ebay) and have been using it daily since. I would recommend buying the programming cable and the ARC8 software for it if you plan on making large changes in the channel banks.

As far as trunking, its basically a way for a "large" city or even state to use a minimal amount of frequencies but still have a way for all the units to communicate. I'm sure the wiki has more information on it, and if you look in the database at a trunking system it will make a whole lot more sense.

Your area plays a big role in how far you can listen with that scanner and more importantly that antenna. I can recieve approximately a 50 mile radius from my house with no problem, and i just have the antenna in my basement not even mounted outside. Your results will vary based on what system you are wanting to monitor and how much wattage they are using to dispatch on it.

Biggest question is, what area do you live in and what are you trying to monitor(air, fire, pd, etc)

coachmenguy

i looked under the database and all i saw for my area under TYPE was project 25 standard, BM, M, R, RM, not sure what those abbriviations mean, but nothing said APCO-25, only a few said project 25 standard, is that different than APCO???

mjthomas59

Just noticed in another thread you are from Lansing. Apco 25 or project 25 refer to digital, i won't say they are the same thing, but they are both indicative of digital.

First off, regardless of what scanner you get, make sure it is computer programmable. Trying to program large trunked systems (like Ingham County TRS)(i consider ingham big, but trust me there are 1000 times worse) will be a pain in the a$$. You'll probably contemplate suicide while attempting it. Not only that, but Michigan State Police are on digital so you won't hear anything out of them with the BCT-8. Plus, with the 8 only have 5 banks(50 channels each), it may be tough to squeeze in everything you need.

If it were me, and i was looking at programming a fair sized trunked system plus having the need of a digital capable scanner to listen to the State patrol, i would be saving my money and buying a digital scanner. A 396 or 996 won't be outofdate for who knows how long, i would guess many decades. You have a huge memory with no banks to worry about if you go that route, you have alpha tags(which the bct-8 does not have), digital reception, CTCSS/DCS decode.... i could keep going but i think you get the idea. If you are buying a BCT-8 new for 160 save your money, a BCT-15 for 220 save your money, just watch for a 996 or 396 to go up for sale on this website or check ebay. Every so often you can pull a 396 for $325-$350 and that my friend is the hot setup.

coachmenguy

wow, you're not far away at all, i see what your saying about saving my money! thanks! it seems there is no doubt that soon, everything will be digital. i like the idea of a base radio vs. handheld, for instance the BC7856D seems nice, but i guess i wont leave handhelds out, i'll check out the ones you listed!! just mounted my radio shack 20-175 today, i've heard its a decent antenna for the price, just need to find a radio!

coachmenguy

well it seemed like a good scanner for the price, but now im looking at the one a few steps up for like $230, im not sure of the number but its a base, non digital

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
"how will this sound for me??"

Turn it on and find out.

"what range could i expect,"

Turn it on and find out.

"Also what would be my best bet for grounding that antenna mounted to a wooden porch post??"

It doesn't need to be grounded.

Why do you guys have to complicate things? He asks the time and you tell him how to build a clock.

Status
Not open for further replies.