Simulcasting....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skypilot007

Premium Subscriber
Instead of buying more digital scanners for the garage and other rooms in the house where I like to listen I've was looking at one of my FRS radios and noticed it has VOX. The light bulb lit right away in my head. Now with the line out on the 796D connected to the FRS radio I can listen with all my old scanners around the house. My neighbors kids get a kick out of it too when I have it on. It works excellent although my 796D needed to be MODed on the line output to prevent over modulation. Other than that its a very simple setup.

N0GTG

Scanner programmer since 1997
Premium Subscriber
I also use the RS 900 MHz intercom, but I use the built-in VOX function. It works great. It has the option of adding AA cells for portability, which it will even recharge. The only negative is it generally takes a fraction of a second for the VOX to activate if it hasn't been transmitting in the last 5 seconds or so. It covers my whole house and yard, so I can listen to my radios from anywhere nearby.

You can even listen to the output on your handheld scanner (Channel 1 transmits 913.0 MHz, wide FM).

Not a bad deal for $69.95 for a pair (once in a while it's on sale).

Last edited:

Skypilot007

Premium Subscriber
My FRS radio has that fraction of a second before it transmotts also. Its not too bad, I can deal with it. Its better than spending $$$ for another digital scanner for now.

trainman111

What's the average range with one of the RS 900Mhz intercoms?

Edit: Nevermind, I found it. It looks like 200 feet.

Last edited:

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
trainman111 said:
What's the average range with one of the RS 900Mhz intercoms?

Edit: Nevermind, I found it. It looks like 200 feet.

They work rock-solid anywhere in my home, basement, ground floor, 2'nd floor, garage, back yard!

Status
Not open for further replies.