scanner in vehicle question

Status
Not open for further replies.

scannerman200

Premium Subscriber
Is there a way to prevent engine noise in scanner? There is a buzzing sound sometimes when frequencies come in. When the car is off, the issue does not occur. I am using a cigarette lighter adapter to power the scanner.

bar422

I had sthat same problem and someone once told me that using the cigarette lighter socket for power is the problem. I wound up having to take the scanner out of my vehicle so i can't remember if that solved the problem or not but it might be worth a try.

Spec

Ideally you should stay away from the cig lighter. A direct connect (fused) to the batt. will usually cut out a group of noise. I assume you are using a hand held unit. There are other more extensive things you can do with hard mount mobile units.

Skud

Feed Provider
Middleville, MI-Barry County(Near G.R. & Ionia
Yeah same here, I get the sound on the cig adapter. So I just made sure the batteries are charged and keep a spare.
I belive someone makes a device to cut down on the noise but don't have the link and never tried one myself.

baronofbeer

I was using a BC350A, now I'm using a 350C, and I used the cigarette lighter adapter on both with no problem whatsoever.

I am using a three outlet recepticle so I can have a cell phone charger plugged in as well, but I would doubt that would have anything to do with it.

I get more engine noise on my CB, but that's to be expected.

Also, once in a great while, my scanner will act as a talkback speaker on certain frequencies.

Don_Burke

As a test, get a 12 volt source not connected to the car to run the scanner. (battery, AC adapter, another car parked alongside, whatever)

That will tell you what part of the noise is coming through the power line and what part is coming through the antenna.

My bet is that a big part of it is coming though the power line.

scannerman200 said:
Is there a way to prevent engine noise in scanner? There is a buzzing sound sometimes when frequencies come in. When the car is off, the issue does not occur. I am using a cigarette lighter adapter to power the scanner.

JohnnyGalaga

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
I hook my radios directly to the battery and get no hum or other noise. I also have a deep cycle marine battery in the backseat that I use strictly to power my CB. The CB gets a very small amount of engine noise, but it's unnoticeable with the squelch set where it would normally be even if there was no noise.

If you really wanna spend some $$$, get an AGM deep-cycle battery (separate from the car battery) with a charge regulator and a solar panel. Put the solar panel by your rear dash and hook it all up. You can run your radios off of the AGM completely independent from your car. The solar panel and charge regulator will keep your battery topped-off without overcharging it, so you'll always have full power to your radios.

kc8zdf

Get direct power from the battery if possible if not I use a cig lighter plug that has a 3amp power supply in it. I can't tell you where to fine them becasue I got it from a friend to take care of the buzzing I was getting in the pro-96 hand held due to the cheap step down to 9v from 12v. Probley search google for 3amp cig lighter plug and you will fine something. It filters everthing out.

73 kc8zdf

Status
Not open for further replies.