Ac Adaptor Settings

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hawk77

I have a handheld scanner and a Ac Adaptor from Wal mart to run it in the house. The adaptor is a universal one with all the different volt settings and tips. My question is will my scanner be damaged if I accidently set it for 6 volts instead of the 9 volts it requires and run it for a few hours? And if so, how will it damage it? I realize that 12 volts may hurt it but would setting less hurt it or just weaken the reception/performance. Thanks

Hawk Man

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
It depends on the specific scanner model. Very old models will probably suffer reception/etc. Newer designs (but that does not mean all newer designs) generally will adapt to the lower voltage.

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Low voltage won't cause damage, high voltage will. Reverse polarity just may destroy it, be VERY careful with those universal adapters.

Hawk77

good info......

thx for the info on the adapter. I agree that one needs to be VERY careful with using a universal one due to the chance of a mistake in the settings and changing the tip to right polarity. Thx for bringing that to my attention....appreciate it.

Hawk Man

Status
Not open for further replies.