Which scanner to purchase?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nettab

I recently moved to the Charleston, SC area and am interested in purchasing a new scanner to monitor public safety, marine, and aircraft communications in Charleston, Berkeley, and Dorchester Counties. I am considering a BCT 15 but wonder if I should go all the way to a BCD 996 T since a number of new trunked systems will be coming on line within the next two years. I would welcome advice from anyone familiar with scanning in this area and with the proposed new systems.

Last edited:

mjthomas59

BY the looks of it, i would say that it will be a relatively short time frame before the Charleston P-25 system is up and running. Honestly, it really just depends on how deep your pockets are as to what you want to buy. If you travel much, you will want the digital capability for surrounding states. One way or another, if you stay in the hobby, you will be needing a digital scanner. So whether you want to spend the 200-250 on a BCT-15 now and then another 500+ on a 996 later, or just pony up the extra cash and go for 996 now is really up to you.

You don't "need" the digital capability right now for those counties, but you soon will.

Also, this post will most likely be moved since you are asking about specific counties. Your best bet is to post in the South Carolina forum. If you not, you will most likely only get the generic answer like i gave of "you may not need it now, but you soon will."

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.