Where do you see scanning in 15/20 years?

Status
Not open for further replies.

N4JNW

I know threads have been made about this before, but lets keep this one serious. In all honesty, and integrity, where do you see the scanning hobby in 20 years?

30 years ago, the hottest thing was a scanner with an LCD readout. If you could program directly, via keypad, you had spent some money!

20 years ago, in the 80's, the hottest thing on the block seemed to be scanners with 100 or 200 channels, and in the mid 90's, the ability to trunk track.

Now, the digital age has came to be. So, where do you see scanning going? Are systems going to become so advanced we can't monitor anything at all? Some alredy have, such as OpenSky.

What about scanners? What types and what features do you expect in the future?

bezking

I see more trunked systems we CAN monitor, more memory, more advanced programming, and a lot less money being spent.

SCPD

QRT
1. Dooms Day

2. Or Less Money after 911 Sheet Stops Flying
and more Systems open if uniden Does
not pull out of The Scanner Game Or Gre Steps Up To 1-Base

bigbluemsp

I actually think there won't be anything that can be monitored. I think encryption and open sky and provoice formats will become the huge hits of public safety and there will be federal laws in place that will wash up scanner manufacturors for good.

R

rescue31210

No matter what, you'll always be able to monitor systems. So what if it's an Opensky system? You don't need a scanner! Buy a RADIO that does Opensky and program it for RX only. . . it's that simple. Don't be lame and limit your self to scanners. Go more advanced. You'll never find a scanner that can RX as good as a radio on the same system can. I have two MTS2000's and when I go to the city, I am almost blown away by the receive on these RADIOS, (when I monitor Nassau Co. PD and NYPD systems.)

There will always be a way to minitor something... just like math... what you do to one side, you must do to the other... if the system is an encrypted system, get an ENCRYPTED RADIO!!!

There will ALWAYS be hope!

Allan_Love_Jr

rescue31210 said:
No matter what, you'll always be able to monitor systems. So what if it's an Opensky system? You don't need a scanner! Buy a RADIO that does Opensky and program it for RX only. . . it's that simple. Don't be lame and limit your self to scanners. Go more advanced. You'll never find a scanner that can RX as good as a radio on the same system can. I have two MTS2000's and when I go to the city, I am almost blown away by the receive on these RADIOS, (when I monitor Nassau Co. PD and NYPD systems.)

There will always be a way to minitor something... just like math... what you do to one side, you must do to the other... if the system is an encrypted system, get an ENCRYPTED RADIO!!!

Are their any Scanners Radios out their yet that can decript?

rescue31210 said:

Dont you need a key for a truck system?

w0fg

KG4LJF said:
I know threads have been made about this before, but lets keep this one serious. In all honesty, and integrity, where do you see the scanning hobby in 20 years?

In all honesty and integrity, I agree with BigBlueMSP. Encryption and proprietary digital systems will become the norm rather than the exception, making scanning as we think of it, difficult and expensive if not impossible. Why would a radio user not opt for privacy if cost were not an object?

A couple of notes from my perspective -

There will not be a scanner out there that decodes digitally encrypted signaling. I think we've beaten that issue to death in other posts, but I'm comfortable saying so. There are two terms for someone with a radio that has the proper crypto key: "on the job" or "under arrest."

Technology changes much faster today. Eleven years ago we had divergent digital formats. Astro for Motorola, Aegis for Ericsson/ GE. Then P25 was developed to address the divergent formats with a common protocol. Problem was that the manufacturers dragged their feet through the process and the ISSI segment of the standard was only finalized a short while ago under federal threat to finish business or they (what was the FLEWUG) would make something up and the manufacturers would need to adopt it to be eligible for federal procurement. I've said it before - there are people who have sent their children through college working on P25 and it's still not done. Unfortunately it has lost its relevance to two important issues (these are very convoluted; I'm only putting these in very basic terms):

1 - The FCC has mandated 1 voicepath in a 6.25 kHz channelspace. P25 phase 1 cannot do this and the phase 2 solution will likely have to be TDMA to accommodate 4 simultaneous conversations in a 25 kHz channelspace. This means that P25 phase 2 will look something like OpenSky or Tetra. Is this bad? No. In fact, scanner manufacturers are part of the P25 community. Can it result in a new generation of scanners? Probably. The manufacturers may do a scanner as a proof of concept for their land mobile product lines. Will scanners ever recoup product development costs? Hell no! This is a niche market. The only bigger loss per R&D dollar are fire/ EMS alert pagers.

2 - Scenario 2 is dire and will kill the hobby. There is a movement that began independently - first, with Cyren Call, then with some other entities, where they explored 700 MHz. Morgan O'Brien, the founder of Cyren Call wanted to capitalize on the 'homeland security' monies and federal grants to do away with the auction of 700 MHz to commercial interests and give it to public safety. Well, on paper, anyway. What he really wanted to do is make another cellular company on the backs of public safety. The rationale is this: you have a road that everyone uses. You don't build special roads for public safety vehicles. Public safety vehicles have lights and sirens, so they can get the right of way if there is an emergency. Same thing with Cyren Call's system. The public would be on it (giving ol' Morgan more revenue than public safety ever would), but the system would prioritize public safety higher and give responder access percedent. And, if you wanted a grant, you would have to buy the official grant radio. How could this fail?!

Well, Congress already spent the money that the Commission was supposed to raise from this auction, so they could not stop it. Alas, it's doubtful that all of the former Commission attorneys and engineers that O'Brien hired are going to fish Cyren Call out of the toilet. Some may recognize Mr. O'Brien's name as the founder of Nextel who was successful in transmogrifying the specialized mobile radio sysems of the 80's and 90's into another cellular telephone company (and caused very poor decision-making on the FCC's part by allowing cellular-like digital immediately adjacent to public safety radio channels).

There is more. The data channels on 700 MHz allowed "wideband" or 150 kHz wide data. Some people in both public safety and industry said, "why waste time doing that when we can go straight to broadband within that channelspace?" The capitol region was the pilot project, and it worked. Now, the movement is for a "national licensee" to get the license for this portion of the band and administer access by public safety agencies (and possibly the general public on a secondary basis). Software defined radio makes it possible to have the device roam around on various bands and protocols.

What some say will happen in the next five years (nevermind 15 - 20 years) is that public safety radios will be computers with RF modules on 700 MHz. The radio part will be an application that behaves like a radio and the RF part will actually be running on broadband with IP addresses and not distinct frequencies. This means that encryption can be done very cheaply at the application layer and - even if there were a bright few who knew enough to sample the data stream - chances are good that everything would be encrypted. Even if not, the bit stream will be to a unique IP device, which may or may not be where you are. The only way to work through this is for agencies that value their public interaction to webcast non-sensitive traffic. Essentially this mode will work like a webcast on the most basic terms.

The very latest has been Google's proposal to the FCC that spectrum should be auctioned on a real-time basis. This means that public safety slots may be the subject of ad-hoc auction which may limit availability. The ramifications of his need to be explored in greater depth.

The crystal ball is hazy, but there is one thing that is sure: These are the times the Chinese speak of in their curse: "May you live in interesting times." Things are going to change very fast. And some things will not change at all. There will still be volunteer fire departments on 33 and 46 MHz. Just like eveyone said that by the year 2000 we'd all be driving jet cars and living in Jetsons houses. That hasn't happened, yet the world is much different than it had been.

All I know is that I would be perfectly happy if my 1978 vintage Regency SP-H/L scanner worked for my application. But it doesn't and has taken its place in the curio.

eorange

♦Insane Asylum Premium Member♦
KG4LJF said:
30 years ago, the hottest thing was a scanner with an LCD readout.
30 years ago - that's 1977 - there were no LCD displays on scanners! It was more like 8 individual red LEDS that illuminated sequentially. I know, I was there. :D

Otto

With the current hysteria about National Security and such, I see a trend of nearly all public safety radio systems going to encryption. All they need is a convincing Radio sales team to make the switch (that and some funding)...

N4JNW

eorange said:
30 years ago - that's 1977 - there were no LCD displays on scanners! It was more like 8 individual red LEDS that illuminated sequentially. I know, I was there. :D

Well, I wasn't. I was born in 84.

W9GC

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
ELECTRONIC COMMUNICATIONS PRIVACY ACT
UNITED STATES CODE
TITLE 18. CRIMES AND CRIMINAL PROCEDURE
PART I--CRIMES
CHAPTER 119--WIRE AND ELECTRONIC COMMUNICATIONS INTERCEPTION AND
INTERCEPTION OF ORAL COMMUNICATIONS

View the text here: http://floridalawfirm.com/privacy.html, and here are a couple highlights so you don't have to dig through it all:
(g) It shall not be unlawful under this chapter or chapter 121 of this title for any person -

(i) to intercept or access an electronic communication made through an electronic communication system that is configured so that such electronic communication is readily accessible to the general public;
The following is part of which deems it unlawful to intercept encrypted signals:
"readily accessible to the general public" means, with respect to a radio communication, that such communication is not--

(A) scrambled or encrypted:

(B) transmitted using modulation techniques whose essential parameters have been withheld from the public with the intention of preserving the privacy of such communication;

Last edited:

K8TEK

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Yep. Jacksonville, FL's Smartzone Omnilink system is entirely encrypted.

Status
Not open for further replies.