Question About Fcc Search...

Status
Not open for further replies.

scannerbum

I have been searching the 160.xxx area and have come across a couple of frequencies that dont show on an fcc search. I want to say they where something like 162.300. Anyway Ive checked into it on the RR data base and it listed them as Us Marshals. Now what Ive been hearing is my local sheriffs dept. serving warents. My question is does the fed frequencies not have to register? And why would the sheriffs department be using these frequencies?

Patrick_

I'm not sure if the feds don't have to register... I'm sure they do. Did you try searching for that frequency match in more areas then where you heard it?

There is a thing called CTCSS and DCS tones, in which a very low frequency (inaudible) tone is generated and sent along with the signal; this allows more than one different group to use the same frequency in a certain area. Usually (at least, on my BR330T :)) you can tell your scanner to search for tones. When it finds the tone the transmitter is using, it will tell you. You can then program a frequency to use only that tone.

It's what FRS radios take advantage of... they only use 12 channels, but have many different CTCSS tones to use.

n4voxgill

Silent Key
162.000 is outside the range of frequeancies that the FCC controls. This range is assigned by the NTIA for federal agencies. If a federal agency gave permission for your local agency to use the frequency that could account for you hearing them.

w8jjr

Premium Subscriber
scannerbum said:
I have been searching the 160.xxx area and have come across a couple of frequencies that dont show on an fcc search. I want to say they where something like 162.300. Anyway Ive checked into it on the RR data base and it listed them as Us Marshals. Now what Ive been hearing is my local sheriffs dept. serving warents. My question is does the fed frequencies not have to register? And why would the sheriffs department be using these frequencies?

serving warents ? Are you sure it wasnt the US Marshals serving the warrents. The fcc allow radio users to use other's freq's for interoperbility with out being assigned to them. Just need the other's permission.

elk2370bruce

1. Sheriff Departments, as a county law enforcement agency, do serve State Superior Court warrants and other legal bench notices as a matter of routine. They are licensed, usually, as one department of many in a county government and so indicated in the FCC ULS.
2. Marshals are a federal law enforcement agency and have nothing to do, organizationally, with the "county mounties" and the NTIA reference indicated above is absolutely correct.

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014
To the OP

A point not made in this thread is that the NTIA does not release assigned frequencies or call sign information like the FCC does. Hence, you can search, but you will not find published data; that is one reason why RR exists. :D

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
And before there was Lou Maag there was Gene Hughes. Keep up the good work and guys, thank your lucky stars 'cuz back in the good old days I had to scan my ears off and keep a paper log all by myself.

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014
kb2vxa said:
And before there was Lou Maag there was Gene Hughes. Keep up the good work and guys, thank your lucky stars 'cuz back in the good old days I had to scan my ears off and keep a paper log all by myself.
I still miss the opportunity to buy those books.
However, don't credit this site to me, this is Lindsay's baby from the get-go starting a long time ago. The oldest page I could find was the 11/29/99 version of the Southeast US Trunked Radio Information page, but it was going before then.

Status
Not open for further replies.