Ham Base Station

Status
Not open for further replies.

jesiandabe

Hey guys, this really isnt about scanning but I need some help. My uncle passed away earlier this month and I got his old base station. Its a Ranger RCI-2980, its been converted to pick up all the cb band. When I turn it on it lights up so I tuned it to 27.185 which should be channel 19 on a regular cb. I hooked a cheap magnetic antenna that I had on my car up to it, just to see if it works. I set my pro-97 to 27.185 but no sound. I can hear the roger beep through the scanner but not myself talk. Then the scanner picked up someone talking closeby but on the base station I could barly hear them. When set to FM the roger beep is loud, set on AM its like the beep is cut short, it dont sound right. Squelch all the way down on FM I have static like normal, on AM no noise. Can anyone tell me what might be wrong?

N4JNW

The microphone's element might be bad. It's really hard on a radio of any type to "sit" for a period of time.

The 2980 is an "export" radio. Meaning, it's really not made to be used in the United States. Now, through proper modification, it can be made to transmit and recieve on CB frequencies. You can modify it to make it "CB only", or it can be modified to be a CB, and a 10 meter ham radio all in one. To use 10 meters, you must be liscenced.

Here's an incentive for you to go get your ham ticket. On 10 meters, with that very radio you have, you can talk all over the United States. I've talked to California, Louisiana, New York, New Jersey, Maryland, and many others. I don't have a 2980, but I do have a 10 meter ham radio.

Your best bet, is to find a local CB shop. DO NOT under ANY circumstances take it to a truck stop CB shop. It will be ruined there. Find a reputable CB repair tech, and have him take a look at it. One it's put on a meter, and power output and modulation checked, he can tell you the radio's story. The meter tells all.

Being your uncle's old radio, I'm sure you don't want to sell it, and I wouldn't sell it to just anyone. The 2980, in good shape, is easily a $200.00 radio, in good used condition. I'd reccomend keeping it, and exploring the 10 meter band. But remember, can't talk there! Go study for your ham test, and use your uncles radio. He would be proud of you. :)

jesiandabe

So if it is the mic's element, would it be expensive to fix? Like you said, I dont wanna get rid of it. My uncle never used the ham bands, that is something I wanna do. Once I get it fixed Im gonna get my ham license.

N4JNW

I don't know if it's the element or not. It could be, considering no audio is being transmitted, but a solid carrier is. Take it to a technician. He will tell you what's wrong, and how to fix it yourself, or either he will fix it for you at a fee.

kirka127

Another thing to check is the battery in the mic if it is a power mic. Also make sure you have the mic turned up and the mic gain on the radio is turned up. Good luck with the radio.

jesiandabe

The mic that I have is just a regular 4-pin, it dosent have a battery. I did turn the mic gain up and everything else but still no luck.

kirka127

Do you have another mic you could use. A 4 pin Cobra or 4 pin uniden should work. If that works you could buy a power mic for your radio.

nn5a

Take the mic plug apart and check for broken wires or bad solder connections. It could be that the white (audio) wire has become disconnected....

jesiandabe

I took the mic apart, everything is clean and intact on the inside. Does this radio require a power mic? I read the book and it says to use a low impedance dynamic type microphone or a transistorized mic. The one I have now I bought off the internet, its just a plain cobra 4-pin.

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Hi all,

"Can anyone tell me what might be wrong?"

Getting right to the point I'll tell you what's wrong, it's an illegal radio that does not meet FCC certification. You inherited nothing but trouble, get rid of it before it costs you.

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014
KG4LJF said:
... Now, through proper modification, it can be made to transmit and recieve on CB frequencies. ...
In the quote above, change the word "proper" to "illegal" and that sentence is fine.

As a ham radio (10 meter) it is fine and legal, despite what Warren says above. Using it on the CB bands is a ticket to a fine.

N

N_Jay

jesiandabe said:
So what makes it illegal? Would it be any diffrent then a cb base station

All transmitter equipment must be "type accepted" or "type approved" for the service it will be used on. (Amateur service excepted)

This IS NOT an accepted or approved radio for the Citizens Band (FCC Part 95)

N4JNW

jesiandabe said:
I took the mic apart, everything is clean and intact on the inside. Does this radio require a power mic? I read the book and it says to use a low impedance dynamic type microphone or a transistorized mic. The one I have now I bought off the internet, its just a plain cobra 4-pin.

That could be your problem... A low impedance microphone MUST be used. Reminds me of those little Uniden Pro 510XL's. If you don't use the special mic that came with the radio, the audio is nearly non existent. But with that little bitty stock mic, they scream!

jesiandabe

Im sure that the fcc is gonna take the time to come down here just to give me a ticket. Im not running any power and its not am interference to anything so I dont see a problem.

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Hi Lou and all,

You'll find it on the FCC's list of non certified and therefore illegal radios sold as "export models" actually intended to be easily modified for 11M CB use. Being non certified it's illegal to import, sell or use such equipment on 11M. Amateur Radio does not require certification for use but must meet spectral purity specifications, then there's a catch.

Anyone can manufacture, import and sell non certified equipment for Amateur use but only ONE in a one year period. If more than one the design protype must be thoroughly tested and the specs sent off to the FCC when certification is applied for. That makes the sale of these rigs illegal right off the bat, nobody limits it to one per year. Check out the monthly NAL list on the ARRL web site, there you'll see right in black and white why these radios are illegal and just how much they REALLY cost.

Now as I see it this guy isn't a ham and intends to use it for CB so besides having to deal with the violation(s) that may draw the FCC out in the first place, when they inspect his station and find illegal equipment he'll have trouble on top of trouble he CANNOT explain away. That's precisely why the warning, I've seen far too many unhappy CBers (NALs) to let this one slide.

N_Jay, I just said Amateur is NOT excepted so please stop disseminating misinformation.

jesiandabe

Ok first off, I intend on getting my ham license. How do you know that this radio was sold illegal? How do you know that its not certified? I mean yea its probally not now but at the time it was. You guys need to quit thumping the fcc bible and chill out. I dont see the harm in it.

N

N_Jay

kb2vxa said:
N_Jay, I just said Amateur is NOT excepted so please stop disseminating misinformation.

Exactly what section of the FCC rules must a transceiver be approved for to be sold as an amateur station?:roll: :roll: :roll:

I am not talking about equipment designed and marketed to CBers and simply labeled "Amateur" to try to skirt the part 95 regulations.

N

N_Jay

jesiandabe said:
Ok first off, I intend on getting my ham license. How do you know that this radio was sold illegal? How do you know that its not certified? I mean yea its probally not now but at the time it was. You guys need to quit thumping the fcc bible and chill out. I dont see the harm in it.

You ask Warren, . . . . . .

. . . . . . . because he know everything!:roll: :roll:

Status
Not open for further replies.