Tuning a scanner

Status
Not open for further replies.

LukeB

Can a scanner be tuned to a specific band? I have some extra scanners lying around and I'm looking for something to do with them. Rather then purchasing additional radio's, i want to try to save money and put some of the older radio's to use.

RedPenguin

Maybe

What do you mean tuned to a specific band? As in like the 10 m band or something?

If you mean just scan a range of frequencies, you can do that with most scanners.

If you mean bands like "FM Broadcast", "AM Broadcast", "UHF TV" or something, a fair amount of Unidens do scan like that, in their "Service Search" but most of the older scanners and cheaper scanners don't have those features.

A good idea to do with your scanners, since I am looking for some older ones, would be for you to put them in a box and ship them to me. LoL

Anyway, I think a good idea, at least what I like to do is, use my nice scanners for searching and discovering new stuff, but use an older scanner, just to do that stuff like monitor local police and stuff, because, my police/fire/ems only use VHF and UHF, so I don't need a $200+ scanner to hear them but if they ever switch to trunking here, I can't go with the old and cheap. This may not work for you depending on your location and what emergency services use in your area.

N4JNW

Yes, scanners can be tweeked somewhat, to have a definate edge in recieve. A friend of mine tweaked his Uniden 350A. No joke.. The lil turd recieves awesome..

LukeB

A scanner generally has all band coverage. I wanted to tune one of them into low band, to better receive low band transmissions and hook it up to a low band antenna. I am not expecting it to receive only low band but I was hoping to tune it more towards low band for better coverage in that band. I wanted to do the same for each band rather then buying a 2 way along with a power supply.

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Hi Luke and all,

Considering the question you lack the technical expertise to work on a radio, keep your hands out of it and it'll remain in working order. A scanner is not designed to do what you want it to do, you can only mess it up. If you want a low band receiver, get a low band transceiver and just don't transmit, they're far better than any scanner ever made.

You don't need to buy expensive new equipment when there are plenty of old commercial rigs floating around, do your homework and you might fond out you CAN get something for nothing. For receiving only you don't need much of a power supply, even a car battery and cheap charger will do. BTW, I went that route when I first became a ham, it handled the 2M rig and a 100W GE Mastr 2 set up for 6M quite well. While less versatile the old crystal scanners were single band units and hot as the proverbial pistol. Then there are old Regency and other tunable receivers that received like Gang Busters. These items are around, you just have to look for them.

One last thought, check out the ham rigs that cover 6M, more often than not one will do exactly what you want and more. They scan and the sensitivity and selectivity are phenomenal, they'll easily receive low band only they won't transmit there. Again used equipment can be had for a reasonable price, seek and ye shall find.

LukeB

It seems that this is going to be my route. I was just curious if it was possible as I was looking to utilize my older equipment. I'll have to find another use for the older scanners. Thanks for the input gang.

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
You are learning young Jedi, soon another use for those scanners you will find.
Use the Force Luke, use the Force.
Out of my dream Obiwan you get. At my age "powder to the people" means talcum powder.

Status
Not open for further replies.