Question about radio-based ISP

Status
Not open for further replies.

mgharvey2

Here's the scenario:
I use an internet service provider which provides service via a radio tower as opposed to satellite or hard wire. Sometimes there is interference which slows down the service so much that I get kicked of of my secure employer network when I am teleworking.
The ISP tells me they use a frequency in the 900s.
I have a scanner, Uniden 210XW (old), but I am not very well versed at using it.

Here's the question:
Is there any way to use a scanner to determine where the interference is coming from so that it can be addressed?

N

N_Jay

900 MHz ISM is a garbage band.

I would get a decent spectrum analyser and start looking for wide-band noise.

Then TX hunt it with a yagi. When you get a reliable path, move and triangulate.

Or just tell the WISP to get you some real service in a licensed band.

Any Wal-Marts around? I remember reading that more than a few WISP operators were getting interference from a new Rfid system for receiving that some Wally worlds are using.

You may want to head over to www.dslreports.com and go to the WISP forum. There are many knowlagable WISP guys that hang out over there. They may be able to help.

bassmkenk2508

Not to mention other applications of the 900 band.

Just to throw a few out,
cordless phones
a bit of ham radio spectrum (not necessarily uber-popular)
trunked systems
pager systems

what else is there?

I guess the possible RFID use by stores (ie, Walmart)

those can be a few things to look for :)

N

N_Jay

OK, now that we have completely confused the 900 MHz LMR, 900MHz Paging/PCS, 900 MHz Amateur and 900 MHz ISM bands, we return you to your regularly scheduled meaningless discussion.

bassmkenk2508

N_Jay said:
OK, now that we have completely confused the 900 MHz LMR, 900MHz Paging/PCS, 900 MHz Amateur and 900 MHz ISM bands, we return you to your regularly scheduled meaningless discussion.

well, when one says the 900 band, that aint specific

and if a transmitting source is close enough in proximity and frequency, it can possibly affect a receiving antenna

and, i wasn't confusing the bands. I know what I was saying. 900 paging and trunking happen in the same frequency range and the other systems are all in 900 MHz band/range/etc

so, why dont you bring us back to our discussion

Last edited:

ReceiverBeaver

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Don't be too downtrodden Mississippi Brian bipedal, you have merely been thread crapped by njay, 5,973 thread craps and still going strong. Perhaps you should even feel privilaged to have been crapped on by the master.

MGH2, It will probably be difficult if not impossible for you to utilize a scanner to assist in tracking such a "interfering signal" down. njay's suggestion of your picking up a spectrum analyzer to begin tracing the problem is closer to the truth. This point is indicative of the 1% of truth which njay's thread craps contain. However, a decent SA, as he suggests, costs around $5,000+. He convieniently didn't bother to mention that. Plus you would have to learn how to use it and then become expert in radio direction finding techniques, which also requires yet more specialized equipment. All together, that makes no sense and is calling for very unreasonable expectation and action on your part...the consumer....which is indicative of the remaining 99% of njay's feckless droolings.

You are buying a service from a provider. It is up to them to provide and maintain a quality service to you. Have them fix it. If you had Cable TV and had a weak signal causing you poor reception, what would you do? Go out and fix it and try to yourself or call the cable co. and have them fix their own system? Even in the case of your RF environment, you are still paying for a service that you arn't getting. Tell them to find and fix the problem or you will have the choice to kick them to the curb and get your internet a different way.

The Beaver Nation of Receivers wishes you good luck

Last edited:

bassmkenk2508

ReceiverBeaver said:
Don't be too downtrodden Mississippi Brian bipedal, you have merely been thread crapped by njay, 5,973 thread craps and still going strong. Perhaps you should even feel privilaged to have been crapped on by the master.

I guess I was overwhelmed by having the privilege bestowed upon me :lol:

It's all good.

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Hi Harvey and all,

Never mind all the horsing around, just dump the wireless crap and use the old tried and true (carrier pigeons).

"Don't be too downtrodden Mississippi Brian bipedal, you have merely been thread crapped by N_Jay, 5,973 thread craps and still going strong. Perhaps you should even feel privileged to have been crapped on by the master."

Leave it to Beaver, there's no crap like beaver crap. Oh, I hope you don't mind I corrected your spelling. (;->)

Status
Not open for further replies.