Uniden - RS Comparrisons....

Status
Not open for further replies.

SLWilson

Does anyone on the list have any experience with using BOTH the Uniden digital trunking scanner and the Radio Shack Pro2096 model?

I have always been a Uniden fan since I was in high school...(I'm 48 years old now)...

We used to have a Bearcat then Uniden dealer here in town, but, he retired several years ago.

So, when the state of Ohio went to digital trunked radio, I went ahead and went with the Pro2096 model scanner because we DID have a RS store here.

What I would like to know is, does the Uniden have better "features" than the 2096? Is it easier to program? Is the sensitivity on the Uniden any better than the 2096?

I know that the 2096 I have doesn't have very good sensitivity on VHF High or Low bands. UHF isn't too bad. 800MHz trunked sensitivity is excellent!!!!

But, for the money, I'd think that it should hear equally on ALL bands that it picks up!!!!

So, please help me out....

Should I trade my 2096 for the Uniden model that will hear the Ohio MARCS system?

What Uniden model DOES listen to digital trunked radio? What is the price range of the Uniden that will monitor digital trunked radio?

Thanks,

Steve/KB8FAR :confused:

N9JIG

Sheriff
This question gets asked a lot. The basic answer is that the Uniden mobile scanner currently offered is the BCD996T. You can also find BC796's around as well, both will work on MARCS, but if they start using 700 MHz. then only the 996 will work on it.

Last week I posted in a forum:

IMHO (And the opinion of many others I have read...) the Pro96/2096 tend to have better analog and digital audio, better digital decoding and retains the "Classic" programming protocol.

On the downside the 96/2096 do not properly track 700 MHz. trunking (although I have read that there is a way to track 700 MHz. via the Tables) or have many of the dozens of 996/396 features. They do not come with programming cables or software and do not support computer control.

The 396/996 has dozens of features, many never seen in a scanner before. Things like GPS support, Closecall, Fire Tone Out, proper PL/DPL search, etc. etc... Add in the included programming cable and software, batteries on the 396, multiple power cables and the 996/396 value vs. cost ratio increases. The ability to have dozens of Systems (instead of being limited to 10 Banks) allows more flexible and inclusive programming.

The 396/996 has a hard time with APCO25 digital audio at times and some people do not like the new style of "Systems/Groups" programming. I admit it is difficult to quickly add a freq.

The 396/996 usually go for about $500 to $550 each, the 96/2096 lists at $500 but is often discounted to $400. Even at $400, add in a programming cable ($30), software ($30), batteries and AC adaptor for the 96 ($25) and you are rapidly approaching the 396/996 cost.

I like both radios, but prefer the Uniden's by far (I Have a 96, a 2096, a 396 and 3 996's...)

jimlawrence

I just returned from Ohio (among other places in the midwest) and I own both RS and Uniden scanners and have used both to monitor MARCS.

When it comes to MARCS, I think the Pro-96/2096 is the cat's meow. My overall impression (read: uninformed opinion) of the Pro-96/2096 is it's a receiver that was designed for and specializes in receiving 800 MHz trunked systems. And, as Rich mentions, it's easy to program. If MARCS monitoring is your sole interest, the Pro-96/2096 would be the receiver I would recommend and I would not trade it.

I agree with Rich's comments about the Uniden 396 & 996. They are difficult to quickly add a new freq. And the dynamic memory set-up takes some getting used to. However, the 396/996 does a much better job at milair; there's no comparison. And both units have more features than the -96/2096 however the 396 and 996 are not quite identical to one another when it comes to their features.

When I travel around the country, I take both with me. My Pro-96 excels at some things, the Unidens at others.

As far as prices, I've seen used 396s at $450 and I'll bet you can buy one for less especially if the seller is open to accepting less than their asking price; many are. I've had lots of good luck buying used equipment and am of the opinion that scanners, like automobiles, lose their value relatively quickly over time and are best bought used. YMMV. I agree with Rich's prices for brand new units from retail outlets.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.