the "Uniden Bearcat BCD396T" or the "RadioShack PRO-96"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AuntBee09

i'm a n00b at scanners, but i want to buy a really good scanner. any ideas? i heard the Uniden Bearcat BCD396T and the RadioShack PRO-96 are both really good. which one should i get? or should i get something totally different? thanx!

(i hope i'm posting this in the right place)

N4JNW

Personally, If I could at all, I'd wait. In a few months GRE is rolling out a new digital scanner. It's rumored to be pretty pimped out..

Depends really on what you want. If you want features, and the ability to track 700 mhz trunked systems, go with the 396T.

If you want sheer performance, better, louder audio, and better digital decoding, grab the Pro-96.

The Pro 96 is an older scanner. But, it's funny it still outperforms the Uniden 396T even to this day.

Some other things you might want to consider is that the 396 comes with it's own programming cable and software, and it's own rechargeable batteries.

The Uniden 396T has a SMA antenna jack, instead of a BNC. So if you want to use a BNC antenna on it, you'll need an adapter. The Pro-96 already has a BNC, so no adapter needed.

THe 396T new is in the neighborhood of $520. The Pro-96 often goes on sale for $399.99 NEW, and you can find good used one's in the neighborhood of $350.00. Used 396T's hold thier value pretty well, so used one's are around $500 or maybe $450.00.

The Pro-96 has 5500 memory channels, with 500 channels in each V-folder. A V-folder is a whole new group of banks. One V-folder could be, say Kentucky, but if you traveled to Tennessee quite a bit, you could have another V-folder with Tennessee stuff in it.

The 396T is also more complicated to operate than the 96. The 96 works on the basic principles of scaner programming and operation. It can pretty much be done with one hand. The 396T usually requires both hands, unless you're really good. You're all the time pressing buttons and toggling through options. The Pro-96, you set and forget. I dunno how you are, but I like a scanner I can turn on, and tune in, and be done with it. If I wanna press buttons, I'll play Nintendo.

All in all, it just really depends on what style of scanning you do. If you're after features, the 396T won't let you down, but if you want sheer performance, the Pro-96 is your best bet.

Stick0413

Premium Subscriber
Depends. Its like apple to oranges. If you do not mind not having computer control and dont need 700mhz trunking definantly go with the 96 because the digital audio and reception is far better. If you want to wait a few months I would wait for the new GRE scanner. It is going to have the features of the unidens with the digital quality of the GREs

AuntBee09

KG4LJF said:
Personally, If I could at all, I'd wait. In a few months .......... but if you want sheer performance, the Pro-96 is your best bet.

thank you for that very detailed and helpful insight!

AuntBee09

i have a couple questions:

which product has the best reception? (if i want really good reception, am i looking in the right place?)

am i right in saying that the pro-96 can not be hooked up to my pc?

N4JNW

The Pro-96 CAN be computer programmed. It however, can't be computer CONTROLLED.

The Pro-96 blows the Uniden away on reception.

blinddog50

Must be a slam Uniden night.
Aunt Bee, both Pro-96 and BCD396t are both the best radios out there.
And both are expensive.
Don't just go by what you read in this forum, because we are all prejudiced by just what we own.
Do your own homework as to what your needs are.
You may live in a rural or metro area.
I live in a metro location and would not want to do without I-CALL that Uniden offers.
Take your time and study.
Only you can determine your needs.

N4JNW

I own neither.

It's not Uniden slam night, it's inform the guy of each scanner's strong and weak points night.

AuntBee09

blinddog50 said:
And both are expensive.
Don't just go by what you read in this forum, because we are all prejudiced by just what we own.
I live in a metro location and would not want to do without I-CALL that Uniden offers.

i've been reading up on different web sites consumer reviews. the reason i'm considering getting such an incredibly expensive radio is because my family wants to get me something really cool for my B-day, and they want to get me the BCD396, but i'm not so sure (and they asked me if that's what i wanted). i wish i COULD TEST THE TWO RADIOS FOR A WEEK! LOL. thanx for the advise :)

Raven95150

Premium Subscriber
Take a look in the RR database. Find out what type of radio systems are in use in your area. I see you are in WA so I did a quick look, and I didnt see any indication of any digital systems, so you probably don't need to spend the money for a digital capable scanner. A regular 800mhz trunking scanner will probably work just fine, for about half the price of a 396 or PRO-96. Try asking your question in the Washington specific forum, you may get some better answers there.

rockag41

Premium Subscriber
I have a 396 and love the new ARC396Pro (v 2.0). It allows you to control the scanner from the computer in virtual mode. It also has an auto log and record capabilities. I leave my scanner on at night while I sleep and don't miss a thing. Everything is recorded on the computer. I don't know if the 96 has anything like that.

N4JNW

blinddog50 said:
KG4LJF, you have listed in your signature that you have a Pro-96.

I have a Pro-96 on the way.... It should be here in a few days... THought I'd go ahead and get that taken care of.. Never thought it'd come to bite me in the @$$... LOL

But no, right now I don't own a 96. I used to have a 97, but sold it to help fund the 96.

Stick0413

Premium Subscriber
blinddog50 said:
And both are expensive.

I own a 996 and a 2096 (396s and 96s brothers) and the 2096 (and my 96) out preform the 996 on digital reception and audio quality

N4JNW

Stick0413 said:
I own a 996 and a 2096 (396s and 96s brothers) and the 2096 (and my 96) out preform the 996 on digital reception and audio quality

Wow... That's a kick in the pants for me... I thought the 996 was the king of scanners? One would think it rivals the 2096??

Dang...

w8jjr

Premium Subscriber
KG4LJF said:
Wow... That's a kick in the pants for me... I thought the 996 was the king of scanners? One would think it rivals the 2096??

Dang...
Just one opinion. I had both and keep the 996, actually got 2 of them.
Look deep into the spec's. The 996 is king at this time.

Also the on the air programming rocks. We use them at FEMA and can program all 20 at one time using the on air programming

Last edited:

Stick0413

Premium Subscriber
I keep seeing things about features. While they are nice I would rather have sheer performance which the 2096 (&96) are far better on that end. I have compared several systems 2096/96 to the 996. Side by side the 2096 will get about 25 to 30 percent more radio traffic and of the 70-75 that the 996 gets another 10% of that is caught late (middle of the transmission). Also the digital audio quality on the 2096/96 is far better and much clearer (doesn't sound as much 'computerized'.) Another thing the 996 does far more often is "machine gun" at the start of transmissions (this is with the talkgroup programed in digital mode). This is why I can't wait for the new GREs. All of the features of the 396/996 plus the digital quality of the 96/2096.

Edit: adding a little more. If the features is what you like go with the 396. If you want quality audio and the ability to hear more of the transmissions go with the 96.

W4KRR

Premium Subscriber
w8jjr said:
Just one opinion. I had both and keep the 996, actually got 2 of them.
Look deep into the spec's. The 996 is king at this time.

I agree. I have three '996's. People keep saying that the '96 and the '2096 "blow away" the '396 and '996 in performance. I have the '96 also, and I completely disagree with that statement. There's nothing wrong with of the performance of the Unidens over the Rat Shack models. If I could only own one scanner, at present it would be the Uniden BCD996T, followed closely by the BCD396T.

And lets not forget features: If you want I-Calls, mil-air reception out of the box, more than 12 characters of alpha tags, Close Call, and LTR trunking, The Unidens are the only choice! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.