what would be a good scanner for my mom...

Status
Not open for further replies.

country2

She said she would like on for mainly listening to the local police, fire, and ambulance. I was thinking on one that does ctcss, alpha tags and has weather alert built in. Unless theres a base scanner that also can use batteries guess it needs to be a handheld

I tried to talk her into letting my put up a antenna so she could listen to sourrounding counties but she said no she wanted to just hear the close stuff so...guess my job is easy now to figure out what will be the best for her. We don't have any digital here (Homer Georgia) and no fancy trunking just the old plain jane conventional channels. I was thinking something on the line of a handheld like the RS pro-92 since its cheap (she don't want to spend no more than 80 dollars), free software and does all she'll need (plus I used to have one and loved it)

So what do you all think? Oh guess I should add that she has bad eye sight and arthritis in her hands real bad so something with a good large sceen and something not real small so it'll be easy for her to use....thanks

Last edited:

SkipSanders

Silent Key
While it's not there now, eventually, digital trunking will overwhelm current local use, as the GEWIN statewide system absorbs everyone. (They claim).

Still, for now, a simple handheld, as long as it has CTCSS/DCS and Alpha Tags, looks like all you'll need. You might consider audio, though. If she's like my mom, she may need LOUD audio, which doesn't come clearly from those micro sized handheld speakers.

A base unit can be easily tied to a cheap computer powered speaker set for loud, clear audio, if it's needed, but it'd push your costs up, unless you find things used.

I would get something as simple as possible. Something that you could program for her and set up preferably with alpha tags so that it comes up "CITY FIRE" or "COUNTY SHERIFF". Something with as large and as bright as of a display as possible and with good audio. Unless she intends to pack the thing around with her a hand held unit isn't necessary.

Again if trunking isn't an issue yet you don't need to get all fancy and spend a lot of money. If she's not technically inclined then program it for her and make it easy use. You program it and set up up so all she has to do is turn it on and listen. That's the way I've always done it for elderly folks.

N4JNW

I'd grab me an old 16 or 20 channel Bearcat for about $20. If she only wants to listen to local stuff, that can easily be programmed in. Most of the older scanners have big light up LED numbers that indicate the scanning. That might be easier for her to read than a small LCD, and it's easier to associate #1 with Police, than it is to associate 155.310 with Police.

While they don't have CTCSS tones, why are they really needed? You dont need tone capability just to do some basic scanning. Granted, the feature IS nice, but it's one more thing to have to fool with, if the scanner lost power and needed to be re-programmed.

Audio out of the older base model scanners are also very loud I have seen..

N4JNW

I just bought a old Bearcat 147 for my mom and dad. They love listening to mine, so I've got to get them out of my room. It was $25, and looked to be in really good shape. Around home here, we have nothing digital or trunked, so it'l work out good. I've done got a small list made up, that I will tape to the top of the scanner, so they'l know what channel is what.

My mom loves listening to the scanner. I think she'l be quite happy. I think there's 3 or 4 good base scanners for sale in the For Sale forum here, if you wanted to check em' out. I remember a 20 channel, Pro-508 for about $30 I think... That's a pretty good deal!

country2

thanks, but figured on a handheld might be better since when the power goes out due to weather she can use the batteries and listen to whats going on.

N4JNW

Ok, sorry.. Guess it might have helped if I'd half read your first post... LOL...

Have you found a scanner yet? There was a older handheld, made by Realistic that was in the For Sale forums as well, but I think it might have been sold...

country2

Not yet but might of found a pro-97 that needs the volume control fixed ...might be able to get it real cheap and replace the pot... I like trying to fix stuff like that

N4JNW

Nice... Pro-97's are sweet scanners. I used to have one... Ort' to be beat for ever selling it. LOL

country2

yea, I have a pro-97 and used to use it all the time but now since I bought a BCT15 the only time I use it is when power goes out or traveling. I wouldn't part with it though....

sjcscanner

Premium Subscriber
get her a good ole simple rs pro 95.. easy to listen.. 1000 chan program..and real cheap

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
The average mom knows nothing about a car beyond where to put the gas in so when it comes to scanners look for one with an on-off switch and nothing else she can mess up. (;->) OK that's a cheeky remark but remember, when she starts pushing buttons you'll be married to it so lock the keypad and hide the manual. No, you better burn it, a mother will find anything you don't want her to find.

Status
Not open for further replies.