Why do I sometimes hear a slight delay?

Status
Not open for further replies.

scannerrail

My local police and fire department sometimes it sounds like they are talking in a long hall. Is the dispatch hearing the same or is it just me?

jim202

If this is on a trunking system, there are delays that are inherent with most of
the trunking systems.

Jim

scannerrail said:
My local police and fire department sometimes it sounds like they are talking in a long hall. Is the dispatch hearing the same or is it just me?

N

N_Jay

scannerrail said:

It's hard to tell from your description.

It could be the way the radios are used, or some aspect of the system design.

I doubt it has anything to do directly with the system delays mentioned, because you are not listening to more than one source, so you should not heard any differences in delay as you would if you were listening to two radios at the same time.

scannerrail

it has to be one of the radio's.. because all the other Police department members sound fine but only like 1-2 of them have this echo/delay to them..

Also all the other talk groups sound fine.

I will see if I can capture it.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
I notice this when the officer uses their handheld when they are within earshot of their vehicle. The speaker in the vehicle gets back to the mic in the HH and you can get an echo. In that case, yes, everyone monitoring the channel hears it, including dispatch.

brandon

Database Admin
UPMan said:
I notice this when the officer uses their handheld when they are within earshot of their vehicle. The speaker in the vehicle gets back to the mic in the HH and you can get an echo. In that case, yes, everyone monitoring the channel hears it, including dispatch.

This gets really interesting when it's digital :D

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
I wOUld Say THAt iIt MaKEs UnDErwATeR auDIO soUNd furTHeR UNder tHE waVeS.

firemedic2150

Database Admin
Try to listen to a 800 Astro TG with a analog radio simulcast on UHF of the dispatch near by, man the delay is just enough to drive you crazy. And get both of those echoing back on the system WOW.

MMc.

boatbod

Delay? Well for starters there is the transcoding delay from the A->D and D->A conversions, then propagation delay and likely multi-pathing confusion, especially if you are monitoring a simulcast system.

I saw firsthand a very good illustration of this just the other day; local PD was working an intersection for a funeral procession. I saw him key his mike and speak, but the words didn't come out of my receiver for a good 0.3-0.5 sec after his lips moved. Pretty odd to watch!

XTS3000

Sounds like what your hearing is the delay of the repeater with a scanner/radio on across the room. If it sounds like an echo, then thats the likely cause.

Status
Not open for further replies.