Need Help!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beebo

I once tried to get into the hobby and purchased a Radio Shack pro-2036. Now after finding this site I have gotten the fever more than I had back then.
My question is, I am thinking of buying a BCT15 but don't know if I will get improved reception, clarity, or distance. Or if I should just keep what I have and go from there.
Any help will be greatly appreciated.
By the way, I live in Southwest corner of Arkansas, and really not sure if I should go even higher to a digital like the 996. Wouldn't think that this area would be sophisticated enough for me to miss many transmissions, or am I wrong?

Last edited:

N4JNW

Depends on what you want to listen to. If your 2036 is doing a good job now, buying a newer scanner won't "improve your range" or anything. If you want more recpetion, invest in a good outdoor antenna, such as a ScanTenna, or Discone.

Word on the street is, RadioShack has a dandy little scanner antenna for about $25 that works really good on most things under 800 mhz.

Nothing wrong with the scanner you have. The BCT15 is going to have a lot of features that 2036 does not though. It will take your scanning to a new level, with PL tones, Alpha Tagging, Computer Programability, Triple Trunking, and all that whiz bang stuff.

If you're looking to "step up" to a modern scanner, the BCT15 would be a wise choice. But, if you like the scanner you have, I'd reccomend buying a good outdoor antenna, and QUALITY coax. NEVER skimp on coax. It's your lifeline. :)

An outdoor antenna might bring some spice into that old 2036, and allow you to hear things with it you never thought you'd hear before..

Beebo

Thanks KG4LJF. It's not really that I like or dislike the 2036, or that I have unlimited money to buy anything out there. I'm just the kind that will stupidly spend the money to get the best if it will improve results. I'm pretty much a computer nerd, so I like the option of programming with the computer on the bct15 or the 996t. I know nothing about trunking, PL tones, or alpha tagging, but will be doing a whole lot of reading on here to try to learn.

In your personal oppinion, which software would you recommend?

Again, thanks for the reply...........

N4JNW

I'm not sure what software supports the 15 and 996. The 996T is the same thing as the BCT15, but, the 996 does digital P25.

If I had the money, I'd jump on the 996T. You can find them around $500 now if you dig.. I think they MIGHT come with software. I'm not sure. I know Uniden's 396T does come with software when you buy it new.

Here's food for thought though, the 396T is several years older then the 996, but is almost the same price... The 996T also has some sort of GPS tracking feature, that will load frequencies automatically if you're mobile with it, travelling.

Research them. There's TONS of info on both scanners in the RadioReference WiKi..

On another note, just because you buy a new scanner, don't mean you have to retire the 2036.. You can set it up as an Aircraft only scanner, or something else.. Old scanners always are useful for something. I recently bought my Parents a 15 year old Uniden Bearcat 147... It has 16 channels... They love it!

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Beebo said:
I once tried to get into the hobby and purchased a Radio Shack pro-2036. Now after finding this site I have gotten the fever more than I had back then.
My question is, I am thinking of buying a BCT15 but don't know if I will get improved reception, clarity, or distance. Or if I should just keep what I have and go from there.
Any help will be greatly appreciated.
By the way, I live in Southwest corner of Arkansas, and really not sure if I should go even higher to a digital like the 996. Wouldn't think that this area would be sophisticated enough for me to miss many transmissions, or am I wrong?
Beebo,
Welcome to the site.
As far as what scanner to consider, I'd recommend you consider a digital unit. more specifically the BCD996T. Your state, Arkansas, is building out a statewide trunked radio system, AWIN, which is Project 25 Standard. In other words, fully digital, all the time. Without knowing your specific county, I would not guess whether your area has made the conversion as yet, but from what's been posted, the state agencies will be moving to it. The state police apparently have moved, in a few troops. Some of the counties have as well. As one of the tower sites is using 700mhz frequencies, either the 996 or the handheld BCD396T are the only two scanners available (at this time) that will trunk track in that band. The Radio Shack Pro-96 (handheld) or Pro-2096 (base/mobile) are digital, but do not track systems in 700mhz. There are a couple of new digital scanners due out this fall from GRE that will also work, but that's several months out.

For the 996, Uniden provides software as a free download. That's what I primarily use. If you'd like the ability to download systems from the database here, then consider purchasing ARC996. You'd also need to become a Premium Subscriber for access to downloads. Other software is available; see the 996's page in the Wiki.

I'd second KG4LJF's suggestion for a good outside antenna if at all possible. I'm feeding my 996 with a ScanTenna, but there are a large number of antennas available.

Beebo

I live in Little River County about 15 miles North of Texarkana.
I am planning on installing an antenna but don't know how tall it should be. I think (from reading here) that the 400 wire is the way to go, so will probably use it, but have no idea how tall of a tower I would need. Being that everything around here is pretty much flat lands I would guess that rooftop high would get about as good as possible.
From that info it sounds like I will probably look real hard at getting a 996t.
I really do thank ya'll for helping me out here and am very glad I ran accross this site.

Raven95150

Premium Subscriber
I wouldn't go building a huge tower just for a scanner, as long as its above your roof you should be good, or you could just skip the tower and put the antenna right on the roof. Also if you haven't heard, GRE (the company that makes Radio Shack scanners) is coming out with a new line of scanners, including a couple digital models. This will give you a couple more choices, and the increased competition may drive the prices down slightly.

W5TWX

One other thing to think about. If your in a flat area, you may not want to go very high with an antenna simply because of lightning. It usually strikes the tall objects and you sure don't want that to happen. A good omnidirectional antenna will help a bunch and they're easy to put together and set up. I've had great success with one sitting just at roof top high in the past. It will make a big difference in your reception.
Also, do keep in mind what HIEGTX above said about the Project 25 and the 700mhz frequencies. I have a 396T and love it. It takes care of my needs.

pappy1

Beebo, I also live in Arkansas and listen to troop K 24 hrs a day, I use a Pro 2096 and a Pro 96.
I would suggest getting the digital scanner as more and more counties are signing on the AWIN system and using it for all communications.
Being next door to Miller County you would hear all of Texarkana and Miller Bi-State communications with a roof top Antenna. (on digital).
I live close to Hot Springs and can hear Troop G and Miller County from here on AWIN. I also hear Troop F down in Warren. Cars and Base come in about the same volume. I use an 800 MHz ducky on the 96 to hear these stations. Flat terrain is a +.
Digital is the way to go is my opinion.

BTW: The Arkansas State Police is fully operational on AWIN, also the Hwy Police.

Beebo

What benefit would a person get from a GRE that they wouldn't get with a digital 996t? If it is worth the wait I'd be more than happy to wait a couple of months.

N4JNW

The GRE's are really more sensitive scanners. Now the new one's, no one knows yet. There's not even word on software for the new GRE's.

The current GRE's on the market now, blow Uniden away in performance. Uniden has the upper hand with features, however.

The Uniden 996T does alot of stuff that the GRE's aren't rumored to do, such as the GPS tracking thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.