Pro 2055 or wait?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeff_connors

I recently purchased the RS Pro 2055. Since then, I have read from many that digital will take over most freqs in a few years and people should wait to purchase a digital. I have an old Bearcat Sportcat that I am happy with. Does the 2055 give me that much more capability beyond the Sportcat to make it worth it for a few years until digital is here? I know its a general question but would appreciate your opinions on that. Thanks.

Jeff

GIG4FUN

I have an off topic BUT spot on reply in my view...

The 2055 is reported to have lots of trouble with its LCD going blank. Did you get it recently? DO you have an extended warranty with it? I am also aware that it is not rebandable. I was so close to buying the 2055 and DID buy the Pro-97. I returned my Pro 97 the next day and bought two Pro 96's just because the rebanding issue was surely going to affect me before the digital moves was to. Where I live the DOT is digital.

This is a poorly written post and I humbly conceed to any scorn. I am enjoying a few after a rough day and decided to banter in your post.

I suggest a bad thing: Return the 2055. Buy something that is "rebandable". Then do the digital when it is in your area.

jeff_connors

Yes, I have had it 3 days. Rebandable? Meaning digital conversion? I have read the LCD display issue but many have said that the issue has been fixed. I did not buy the extended warranty with it.

GIG4FUN

jeff_connors said:
Yes, I have had it 3 days. Rebandable? Meaning digital conversion? I have read the LCD display issue but many have said that the issue has been fixed. I did not buy the extended warranty with it.

I had been reading about that model into its 3rd build generation and still with the widespread problem. I will post up a link in a few minutes..
Here it is: http://www.radioreference.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33887 (feel free to jump to the last page!)

Here you go for Rebanding 101

http://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/Rebanding

Raven95150

Premium Subscriber
It would be helpful to know where you are and what kind of radio systems you are monitoring. If you don't need the trunking capabilities, then the 2055 is kind of a waste of money for you, and rebanding wont affect you. Since your Sportcat works fine, (I dont think any SCs were trunk trackers) I would guess you are not listening to trunked systems. If this is the case, return the 2055 and if you really want a new scanner, just get a basic non-trunking scanner. It will suit your needs great for about half the price. If your area planning on switching to digital, then forget a new scanner for now and save your money for a digital scanner.

jeff_connors

I live just east of Columbus, Ohio and from what I understand the highway patrol is digital. I don't know if any systems are trunked or not.

John_M

Wait, and get the GRE PSR-400. Rebanding for the 2055 is up in the air, no one knows for sure if RS will offer a rebanding upgrade. The GRE PSR 400 (non-digital) or the PSR-600 (Digital) due to come out in early October should really be worth waiting for. I think you would be sorry if in October you find out that you could have gotten one of these scanners for the same price as a 2055 or a 2096. If for some reason you can not wait, I would go with a Uniden BCT15 or 996t. This is what I would do.

Last edited:

jeff_connors

Thanks John and all that posted. It's going back tonight. Between rebanding and the display problems, I can wait. I was into scanning for a long time and have been away from it for a long time. I want to start listening again but want to do it right. Thanks again.

GIG4FUN

jeff_connors said:
Thanks John and all that posted. It's going back tonight. Between rebanding and the display problems, I can wait. I was into scanning for a long time and have been away from it for a long time. I want to start listening again but want to do it right. Thanks again.

You a wise man.... ;)

Raven95150

Premium Subscriber
jeff_connors said:
I live just east of Columbus, Ohio and from what I understand the highway patrol is digital. I don't know if any systems are trunked or not.
Looking at your area in the RR database, the state patrol is on a P-25 digital trunked system and most other public safety is on Motorola analog trunked systems. You could listen to everything except the state patrol with a regular trunking scanner like the 2055, but I would just go digital because everone will probably switch to it sooner or later. Also, try asking some questions in the Ohio forum and you will probably get more detailed answers from people in your area. http://www.radioreference.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=55

Status
Not open for further replies.