Picking a scanner

Status
Not open for further replies.

glh_turbo22

I'm new to the forums but not new to the radio/scanner scene. I have however lost touch with what is new these days. I plan on getting a scanner soon and need some help with what i should look for. I want something that i can take in my truck with me as well as use at home. I mostly want to listen in on my local police/ems/fire, and state police and the local military base nearby. I looked at a few in the for sale section but i don't know the first thing to look for. I would like to star out with something not too expensive in case i loose intrest with it in a couple of months.

One question i have is that i do own an RCI-2950 Radio. It has USB/LSB, CW,FM & AM...Will this radio get any of the above frequencies i'm looking for?

Any help is appreciated...thanks

kevin

N4JNW

Hey Kevin! Welcome to RadioReference!

Ok, first and foremost, your 2950 won't recieve the things you're wanting to hear. For CB and 10 meter ham, it's a proven performer. But, for Police, Fire, EMS, and all the other stuff, you're going to need a scanner! But, not to worry, because you have came to the right place!

Ok, now, before we can reccomend a good scanner that is suited to your needs, we'l need to know what County and State you live in. Some scanners work good in some areas, some scanners won't work at all in your area. It's really dependant on what type of radio system your local agencies run. If they're conventional, you'll only need a conventional scanner. If they're Trunked, you'll need a trunking scanner, and if they're digital, you'll need a digital capable scanner.

So let us know where you are, that way we can help you more!

kingpin

Trailer Park Supervisor
No, that is a 10 Meter / 12 Meter Ham radio. It will not receive or transmit above 30 MHz. Everything you have described is going to be above that range.

It sounds like a portable is going to be the way to go. I would either recommend a Radio Shack PRO-97 or a Uniden BR-330T radio (even though it's discontinued). Both will follow most non-digital trunked systems and both have the 225-400 MHz Military Air band not included in most scanners. The BR-330T has more memories than you could ever fill. Comes with a computer cable for easy programming. It also receives the shortwave band in AM mode which comes in well on mine.

The Pro-97 runs about $200 and you can still find some BR-330T's on the shelf for about $230. I like the BR330T much better as I've had both. (Got rid of the 97)

N4JNW

As a note, I will mention that the Pro-97 may or may not work in your area, depending on how/if you've been hit by rebanding.. But, if you're going to be scanning conventional frequencies, and/or an EDACS trunked system, which is not affected by rebanding, I will reccomend the Pro-97 as well.

$200 is a bit steep for the 97.. If you're quick on the trigger, you can catch em' on sale at RadioShack for $169.99, or $149.99 regularly..

I will also reccomend the Pro-528. It's a rebanding friendly scanner, but does not have the features of the Pro-97...

Both of these scanners are 1000 channel triple trunking scanners..

glh_turbo22

I ment to include where i live i just got too quick on the submit trigger.

USA
Farmington Hills
Michigan

Thanks Everyone

kevin

N4JNW

Ok, It appears you're not far from Detroit...

Detroit appears to be running a P25 Digital system. Now, you might want to sit down..

If you want to monitor what's going on in Detroit, you're going to need a digital scanner. Most of these are in the neighborhood of $500.00. But, here's the good news.. With a digital scanner, you're going to be able to trunk as well, and you'll be rebanding friendly too.

Now, here's where you need to decide what scanner you want. There are several NICE digital scanners on the market. If you're looking for a handheld, Check out RadioShack's Pro-96, or Uniden's 396T.

Base/Mobile scanners include RadioShack's Pro-2096, and the all new Uniden 996.

I'll mention computer programming software is highly reccomended, and comes with the Unidens. The RadioShack scanners, you have to buy the cable and software's seperate.

If you can wait, GRE (RadioShack) is coming out with 2 NEW digital scanners this fall...

glh_turbo22

WOW...i remember buying my dad's scanner for $150 a few years back. These new ones coming out this fall...will those be around the same price as well?...i'm guessing they will.

I really appreciate all your help...i'm glad i came here first before hitting ebay and buying something that doesn't work. You guys saved me some money and hassle.

kevin

N4JNW

When the new one's come out, the price of the current digitals MAY drop.... The current digitals are a few years old.. But they still work good... I own a 96...

hornjt

Premium Subscriber
Ok, could someone recommend a scanner for me? I have a Pro-82, and live in Trinity county, work in Walker, Tx.

N4JNW

Your Pro-82 will work for you in Trinity County. Everything there seems to be conventional, with the exception of a "entergy" listing. I don't know what that is, maybe a power company or something.

I used to have a Pro-82... Good little scanners...

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014
hornjt said:
Ok, could someone recommend a scanner for me? I have a Pro-82, and live in Trinity county, work in Walker, Tx.
And
KG4LJF said:
Your Pro-82 will work for you in Trinity County.
Well sort of. This is another reason that we ask that location specific questions, even about scanners, should be asked in regional forums. Walker Co., TX is using the newer STARNet P25 system. Additionally the DPS in the area are shifting (may have completely shifted) to P25 CAI conventional. So really your Pro-82 is only marginally effective for what you want. If you want more information ask in the TX forum.

And to the OP, Kevin, since you have moved from a general question to an area question, please see the MI forum. There are some things you need to understand about the MI State System, including the use of 700 MHz frequencies that will preclude you using a Pro-96/2096.

glh_turbo22

Thanks Loumaag...i'll look at that forum.

On another note that is general to scanners...i was talking to a friend of mine that was once big into radios and scanners, and i asked hime what equipment he used. He said he was using an ALINCO radio. Now Is this something that could be used? I figured that if i'm going to dump a bunch of money on one of these then i might as well get one that's going to do a lot. I was looking at the DJ-X2000 Alinco radio...would this do what i want?

http://www.alinco.com/usa.html

kevin

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014
Well, once again, before you decide on a scanner or receiver, you have determine what it is you want to listen to. Note that the Alinco you referenced will not do APCO-25 CAI monitoring; it will also not do trunking at all. Indeed it is not designed as a "scanner", but as a communications receiver with some limited scanning ability. In this regard, first figure out what it is you are interested in monitoring most, then list those other things you want to monitor. Using that information figure out if you want a "scanner" or a "receiver" and look at your budget. Balance all those factors then start worrying about performance factors of various models.

n8qby

Hello all. I am new to this site. I am thinking of getting a new scanner. I have a couple of PRO-2006's and I love them but I think our local police, and state police have gone to digital. I am not sure. Does anyone know how to find out what system that Sault Ste. Marie, Michigan Police Department/MI State Police, uses? Tnx, Pat N8QBY

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
This is kinda hijacking the original thread, but...did you look them up in our database?
If memory serves, much of Michigan is using a digital system, so one of the digital trunktrackers would be necessary to hear them. In the database, look at 'system voice' - if it says anything about APCO-25, you can be pretty sure that will be the case (there are some rather rare exceptions). There is a wiki article which indexes all the digital trunktrackers, with extensive articles on each - you can find it here Just click on the model of interest and away you go.

Most new folks make the mistake that thinking this is a forum-only website, when we also have an extensive database of frequencies, and an equally extensive Wikipedia section. Please be sure to visit both to fully answer your question. Don't feel bad - lots of new folks make the same error.

73s

Last edited:

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014
ka3jjz said:
Most new folks make the mistake that thinking this is a forum-only website, when we also have an extensive database of frequencies, and an equally extensive Wikipedia section. ...
I will go just one step further, the main thrust of this site is the database, the forums are an afterthought; however, due to the fine moderating of the Wiki, it is fast becoming an excellent semi-static general reference for the radio monitoring community. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.