Encryption

Status
Not open for further replies.

jfab

Just a random thought I thought I would get out with the experts!

My hometown SWAT team(Broomfield, CO) is encypted and I am just wondering if I will ever be able to listen to them, and why more agencies aren't encrypted. If there is a scanner that comes out with those capabilities, who do you think will come up with it first, and how much will it cost? How long before this will happen, if it will happen? Thanks!

musicman476

RR DB Admin
Database Admin
jfab said:
Just a random thought I thought I would get out with the experts!

My hometown SWAT team(Broomfield, CO) is encypted and I am just wondering if I will ever be able to listen to them, and why more agencies aren't encrypted. If there is a scanner that comes out with those capabilities, who do you think will come up with it first, and how much will it cost? How long before this will happen, if it will happen? Thanks!
The simple answer to most all your questions is easy: no. Encryption is illeagal to monitior if you're not supposed to be doing so. Don't expect to see a scanner that can decode encrypted audio...it ain't gonna happen. :)

Mr_Observer

One of my favroite topics...

Encryption is a mathematical way of rearranging the "ones and zeros" or segments of an analog audio wave into a form that will yield unintelligible audio during the standard de-modulating process. When dealing with encrypted audio the inbound data must first be processed through a decryption algorithm that is basically a complex mathematical formula that will require you to give it a variable (the key). This Key Variable is generally only available to the persons who are authorized to hear the audio. Without this "key variable" the formula will be un-solvable and therefore no usable audio will be obtained.

Algorithms and keys come in many different formats and sizes. Each is tailored to a specific type of data or wave format that will be encrypted. Decrypting audio is not impossible but difficult. It requires a person to have a deep understanding of wave theory as well as considerable software and hardware resources available to him or her. That is all I will say on that topic.

MR_O

Status
Not open for further replies.