Computer Interference Harmful???

Status
Not open for further replies.

policefreak

Premium Subscriber
Can a computer cause interference that is harmful to a scanner??

I'm starting to wonder. I noticed with my RS Pro-99 that it would receive a loud scratchy buzzing sound on certain freqs (500 and 150MHz) when I move the mouse (Its wireless) and it would stop on a 151 MHz freq. when I type on the keyboard (Thats wireless too). It also receives interference from the printer (it stops on a certain freq and quietly hums), so I usually turn that off when I'm scanning. Anyway, I always used to have my scanner next to me when on the computer and just dealt with the interference by putting CTCSS codes on freqs that had interference. Well, I noticed that after 6 mos. or so, my Pro-99 would stop on certain freqs without picking anything up. This happened even while I was well away from the computer. Then sometimes it would stop on a frequency (one w/o a CTCSS code) and buzz (Just as if the squelch were all the way down).
Eventually this happened more and more often until the scanner was useless unless the channels it scanned had PL tones programmed to them. At the time I thought it was just a bad squelch pot because I did a total reset of the scanner, used batteries and AC Power, and tried a whole host of things without results. I did not take it in to be repaired however because I knew I was saving up for a better scanner anyway. At the time I did not connect the scanners problems to computer interference. So just recently, (about a few weeks ago) I bought the BC396t. Great scanner!! :) Anyway, I noticed that it too picks up the same interference from my computer, unless i moved it all the way on the other side of the room. When I move the mouse it makes a scratchy buzzing noise, and the typing on keyboard makes it stop on 151 MHz, and I always turn off the printer when I'm there. And I hear a new sound, an intermittent click. It sounds just like what you would hear if you put a digital watch next to an AM radio (each second, you hear a click). But I noticed after a long session on the computer while scanning, that afterward this scanner too, even when moved away from the computer would occassionally stop on frequencies w/o Pl tones assigned, and buzz as if the squelch were all the way down, just for a second
So all this makes me wonder, could my computer be an evil :evil: scanner killer????

pappy1

Try turning off your computer and not just move to other side of the room and see if the scanner acts in the same way. If it does not then your computer is the problem. Other wise it is your scanner.

policefreak

Premium Subscriber
See, I was scanning with my 396 while I was on the computer. But after I already shut off my computer and went upstairs is when I started to notice the squelch failing. It only happened for a second or two on only a few VHF/UHF channels. I dont really use my scanner while on the computer anymore unless I am programming something into it. Then, I turn off the printer, and move the mouse and keyboard as little as possible. You know, the next time this happens, if it happens again (I haven't noticed it lately so thats good), I should turn the squelch up a few bars and see if it helps. I usually keep the squelch down to the lowest possible (level 2) on my 396.

pappy1

Some lights can cause interferance as well, up the sq. at least one bar and see if it works better and you still hear all frequencies. TV's are also problem makers to radio. If it continues take it outside for awhile, if it ok then, your rfi is inside the house.

Viper43

I have a bunch of different computers running, some without covers, plus a bunch of WiFi stuff, cordless phone, cell phone and 6 scanners, two TV's and three monitors and no intereference issues. My antennas are either on a tower or in the attic just above all this stuff.

V

policefreak

Premium Subscriber
Yes, an external antenna is something to consider in the near future. Just in the mean time, I would like to know if turning on the scanner while the computer is on is safe, or if it could harm the scanner.

madnachos

policefreak said:
Yes, an external antenna is something to consider in the near future. Just in the mean time, I would like to know if turning on the scanner while the computer is on is safe, or if it could harm the scanner.

Your computer will not harm your scanner. It may cause interference....but that goes away once the PC is off ;-)

Viper43

I doubt you'll have a computer that actually is causing that much intereference. What frequency is the mouse and keyboard on? If they are cheap versions made in China they probably are not shielded well. Other than inconveience it shouldn't be an issue, relocate the scanner is your best bet.
V

ibagli

I used to have a monitor that would cause an annoying buzz on almost anything in the 150MHz range.

Status
Not open for further replies.