Still Not Sure

Status
Not open for further replies.

moonstar

Allright, I know you see this question 100 times a month but I really cannot decide on what handheld to get. I live in NY, and monitor the counties of Niagara and Erie. I know we have trunked systems, but none that are digital as far as I can tell. But wouldn't a digital scanner just generally sound better? I don't know. I listen to everything: air, police/fire, utilities, Ham, etc. I like to search and catch "wild" frequencies if you will. Currently I'm using an RS Pro-26 as my handheld. Does a fine job. But I have to finally go with Alpha-tagging and I need lots of channel space + good sound too. I also like the storage idea of the 396t (no banks). For that reason alone, I was going to buy that scanner. But I feel that's probably overkill. Right? The Pro-96 looks inviting, but as it's been out awhile already, I wouldn't touch one for anything over $340.00 shipped to my door (so if anyone has one...). Please let me know what you guys think and what I might possibly be missing in making my decision. Thanks alot.

N4JNW

There's nothing wrong at all with wanting a digital scanner. Here's the thing, Although the Pro-96 has been out awhile, it's still a very good scanner! It's been around several years, and to this day, people still buy them new at $500 a pop. What's that tell you about it's quality?

You can find used Pro-96's that are in really good shape, for the price range you mentioned. The one I had, I paid $360 for, and I know a buddy, that's on here that bought one that was in even better shape than mine for $300!

The 396T is also a really good choice! I sold my 96 to fund a 396 actually. The 396 has more features, but does not recieve as well as the 96.

If you can wait a few months, GRE (RadioShack) is coming out with a *NEW* handheld digital scanner, and a new base/mobile. Save your pocket change, because they say they're going to be pretty cool scanners!

John_M

A digital scanner programmed for an anolog trunked system is not going to sound any better than a non-digital one. Same with the anolog conventional frequencies,
(no difference).

Status
Not open for further replies.