Rebanding: What will Motorola will do to their control channel

Status
Not open for further replies.

My impression is that the repeaters will be reprogrammed or re-crystalled (although most agenicies do not want to retain equipment that goes back to the crystal era because of "mileage"), combiners and filters need to be realigned, tables in the site controllers need to be changed - and much of that equipment in 70's - 90's vintage controllers has obsoleted, with the chip manufacturers no longer making much of the components.

The newer subscriber units got flashed with new firmware that allows 8 control channels and not 4. The four original CCHs and the new 4 CCHs 15 MHz lower. This allows for the system to be cut-over with minimal interruption and no additional reprogramming of subscriber units.

Many legacy subscriber units will not do 12.5 kHz channelspacing on the new NPSPAC range. The manufacturers were going to replace those with 'lite' versions of current equipment that may have masked capabilities - like an XTS-1500 with SP firmware that excludes 700 MHz (after all, you didn't PAY for that value-added feature).

800 rebanding has turned into a quagmire. Imagine if we were re-aligning VHF to 12.5 kHz channelspacing and setting standard inputs and outputs!

N

N_Jay

The 15 MHz drop in Chanel assignments is ONLY for NPSPAC systems. Others can have different channel assignment changes.

MMIC

The control channel will, in fact change. There will be an extra bit transmitted over the control channel once a site is rebanded to indicate to the portable and mobile radios that the site is using the rebanded channel plan. This will cause the radio to use the rebanded channel plan programmed into it when listening for channel assignments, hence allow the end user to have zero intervention when transitioning between rebanded and non-rebanded sites. This is particularily important in SmartZone systems where some sites may be rebanded, while others are not. The radio will be able to automatically adapt between the rebanded and non-rebanded sites because of that bit.

On a related note, there is a feature that Motorola is selling called the "shuffled band plan". This will allow system owners to use a non-standard and/or customized channel plan assignment on their system. So frequency 851.xxxx may have a hex value of 100 on the control channel per the "standard" plan, but they have the option to change that to be another arbitrary number with the shuffled band plan.

The shuffled band plan option is not a standard implementation on systems after rebanding, but Motorola is making a run on selling it to go with rebanding since all subscribers will be touched anyway. If a system is P-25, they will need to have 100% Motorola radios on the system to support the proprietary feature.

Last edited:

car2back

MMIC said:
...If a system is P-25, they will need to have 100% Motorola radios on the system to support the proprietary feature.

Didn't Micro$oft try something along the same lines a few years back? :wink: :lol:

DonS

MMIC said:
On a related note, there is a feature that Motorola is selling called the "shuffled band plan". This will allow system owners to use a non-standard and/or customized channel plan assignment on their system. So frequency 851.xxxx may have a hex value of 100 on the control channel per the "standard" plan, but they have the option to change that to be another arbitrary number with the shuffled band plan.

The shuffled band plan option is not a standard implementation on systems after rebanding, but Motorola is making a run on selling it to go with rebanding since all subscribers will be touched anyway. If a system is P-25, they will need to have 100% Motorola radios on the system to support the proprietary feature.
If it's a P25 control channel, won't the IDEN_UP messages take care of it? Wouldn't deviation from that part of the P25 'spec' make it a non-P25 system?

N

N_Jay

car2back said:
Didn't Micro$oft try something along the same lines a few years back? :wink: :lol:

The specification allows for proprietary extensions.

The buyer needs to make sure he is informed about the advantages and disadvantages of the options they select.

(Just like just about every system procurement):roll:

N

N_Jay

DonS said:
If it's a P25 control channel, won't the IDEN_UP messages take care of it? Wouldn't deviation from that part of the P25 'spec' make it a non-P25 system?

No, because the P25 specification is designed to allow extensions and enhancements.

DonS

N_Jay said:
No, because the P25 specification is designed to allow extensions and enhancements.
Extensions and enhancements, yes, but something that defeats another part of the P25 specification? (Presuming IDEN_UP is actually required by the P25 spec).

N

N_Jay

DonS said:
Extensions and enhancements, yes, but something that defeats another part of the P25 specification? (Presuming IDEN_UP is actually required by the P25 spec).

If you would phrase your question without your poor attempt at humor it might be understandable enough to answer.

DonS

N_Jay said:
DonS said:
If you would phrase your question without your poor attempt at humor it might be understandable enough to answer.
No attempt at humor was made.

I'll rephrase, though:
Presumption 1: IDEN_UP with accurate information is required by the "P25 specification"
Presumption 2: Motorola plans on adding an "extension" or "enhancment" to their implementation of a P25 system, as permitted by the P25 specification.
Presumption 3: Motorola's extension/enhancment conflicts with the [presumed] required information in the IDEN_UP messages, based on the earlier post that said "If a system is P-25, they will need to have 100% Motorola radios on the system to support the proprietary feature" in regard to a "shuffled band plan".

Question: If all three presumptions are true, is a system with Motorola's extension/enhancement still a "P25 system", given that it no longer includes accurate information in the required IDEN_UP message?

Last edited:

DonS

It does appear that the IDEN_UP message, with accurate channel -> frequency mapping, is required. TIA/EIA-102.AABC-2000 Annex F.

N

N_Jay

DonS said:
No attempt at humor was made.

I'll rephrase, though:
Presumption 1: IDEN_UP with accurate information is required by the "P25 specification"
Presumption 2: Motorola plans on adding an "extension" or "enhancment" to their implementation of a P25 system, as permitted by the P25 specification.
Presumption 3: Motorola's extension/enhancment conflicts with the [presumed] required information in the IDEN_UP messages, based on the earlier post that said "If a system is P-25, they will need to have 100% Motorola radios on the system to support the proprietary feature" in regard to a "shuffled band plan".

Question: If all three presumptions are true, is a system with Motorola's extension/enhancement still a "P25 system", given that it no longer includes accurate information in the required IDEN_UP message?

I am fairly sure that "shuffled band plan" is only on Motorola (3600) control channels.

I misread your reference to the IDEN_UP command as an "iDENed Up" (as in F-cked Up) command. Sorry

Since it is 3600 bps only it has no impact on P25 systems or standards.

DonS

N_Jay said:
I am fairly sure that "shuffled band plan" is only on Motorola (3600) control channels.

I misread your reference to the IDEN_UP command as an "iDENed Up" (as in F-cked Up) command. Sorry

Since it is 3600 bps only it has no impact on P25 systems or standards.
I attempted to clarify that in my initial post (#7) on this thread, where I qualified my question with "If it's a P25 control channel". I was trying to determine what was meant by "P-25 system" in the statement "If a system is P-25, they will need to have 100% Motorola radios on the system to support the proprietary feature".

MMIC said:
(snip) If a system is P-25, they will need to have 100% M... radios on the system to support the proprietary feature.
This seems to be a common thread with them, coming up with nice, proprietary "enhancements" that rob the standardization and competitive procurement element of P25 - like their "wide pulse" mode or ADP encryption.

N

N_Jay

902 said:
This seems to be a common thread with them, coming up with nice, proprietary "enhancements" that rob the standardization and competitive procurement element of P25 - like their "wide pulse" mode or ADP encryption.

Or offer products to market to meet the needs.

Glass 1/2 full or 1/2 empty?

EDIT: Just to be clear, this entire branch of the thread is based on a mistaken statement about the shuffled band plan feature.

WayneH

Forums Veteran
Super Moderator
The only control channel changes are to occur on 3600 control channels. And there's more than just a bit to signify rebanding/retuning in the changes or additions. The channel plan for a partial range will be changed.

N_Jay said:
Or offer products to market to meet the needs.

Glass 1/2 full or 1/2 empty?

EDIT: Just to be clear, this entire branch of the thread is based on a mistaken statement about the shuffled band plan feature.
I understand the discussion predicated on a misconstrued statement. My comment is about meeting needs, which probably deserves its own thread, but I don't really intend on going further with it once I get this out -

Those features marketed are merely hooks that are intended to deviate from a standards-based system (indicated by a consensus of public safety constituents). True, public safety in general has failed to completely embrace standards-based digital systems and there could be a strong argument that these so-called "standards" were a fabrication of industry, themselves, and not really public safety. It seems that this failure to take root has dragged into the period of time the Commission was looking to implementing 6.25 kHz solutions and the technology for this 12.5 kHz solution has already been obsoleted even though many noisy-environment vocoding issues (i.e., wind noise and fireground ambient noise levels) and implementation training issues (i.e., doubling is destructive) haven't been worked through.

Still... if we don't commit to supporting the standards even if it's simply for the sake of being able to buy through competitive bidding, then the only thing we're doing is going off in separate directions. If that's the case, I don't need all this P25 stuff (phase 1 or 2), I can just put in an MPT1327 system, since it's APCO-16 compliant and open source, for significantly less money and we're done. I see it as pretty much the same thing doing that as implementing ADP or wide pulse.

Status
Not open for further replies.