What kind of scanner to buy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monoxide16

Hi I am pretty new to scanners and I am just beginning to understand how they work. (sort of) I definitely want to purchase a scanner primarily to listen to the police in my town and my are and some of the other emergency stuff. I am thinking about getting either the radioshack pro96 or the uniden Bearcat BCD396T. These are the newest digital handheld scanners out and are very expensive. Now I have a few questions.

1. Would I really be "future-proofing" my purchase by getting a digital scanner?
2. If I do go with the digital scanner as a novice to scanners, would the radioshack or uniden model be best and why?
3. If it would not seem practical for me to get a digital scanner what would be the best alternative?

I will greatly appreciate any help thank you!

EDIT:

Ok now that I know I actually need a digital scanner, my choice is definitely between the pro96 and bcd396t. This is gonna be a pretty hard decision... so I am going to ask everyone for their opinion. As a newb to radio scanners, which one should I get?

Last edited:

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Where you are will play a major role in your decision. First thing to know is where you are; city/county/state will do nicely. Not everywhere is going digital, so it may not be necessary to go that route.

73s Mike

car2back

Looks like Burling County Police is all P25. (I'd go digital if you can afford it)

Uniden Vs. GRE (Radioshack) is up to you, I personally prefer Uniden.

Status
Not open for further replies.