Ham article in Scanning USA Magazine!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCPD

QRT
I just picked up a copy of Scanning USA Magazine for the first time (October 2007 issue) and noticed theres an article about a guy's expierences with ham radio. I thought it was dedicated to scanning only. Do they usually have articles about ham? I was thinking of subscribing but since I'm not interested in ham maybe I won't.

WA1CRZ

Im sure you arent interested in becoming a cop, fireman, taxi driver, pilot, school bus driver etc etc but you listen to them on scanners just like you can listen to hams.

N4JNW

I think it's fitting. Considering monitoring is largely a part of ham radio. There are propagation beacons for many ham bands, which hams do monitor to gain insight on worldwide propagation conditions. I.E., if a ham can hear a 20 meter beacon in Germany, there's a decent chance that he/she can talk to that part of the world.

I don't have a subscription myself, but I would assume from time to time they'l have articles in there about ham radio related stuff.

I think that's a pretty weak reason not to want to subscribe, not being interested in ham radio. Who said you HAD to read the article? I've got lots of old QST ham radio magazines laying around, and there are some articles in those that have nothing to do with ham radio.

Not trying to "sell" ham radio to you, but have you ever thought about becoming a ham? Loads of ham radio principles can be put to use in the scanning/monitoring world, such as antenna design, RF characteristics, and electronics theory.

SCPD

QRT
ya i did think about becoming a ham once. i bought the arrl study book and everything but never took the test. i have limited income though so i wouldnt be able to buy the equipment. i search the ham bands sometimes and their conversations are so boring.

wogggieee

Premium Subscriber
Flintstone4680 said:
ya i did think about becoming a ham once. i bought the arrl study book and everything but never took the test. i have limited income though so i wouldnt be able to buy the equipment. i search the ham bands sometimes and their conversations are so boring.

Well i'm sure you can find someone to start up a conversation with about something that you deem to be not boring.

N4JNW

Flintstone4680 said:

You can afford scanners can't you? Who said you had to buy new ham gear? I see good looking 2 meter HT's everywhere for $100 or less!

You must have never searched the ham bands during a big contest.. Picture it like.. a flock of 50 or 60 chickens trying to eat grain out of a bottlecap. You get the picture?

When there is a band opening to a small portion of the world that is only open once every now and then, hams FLOCK to it. The loudest and strongest ham station makes the contact. It's pretty much a dragrace. Whoever is louder and stronger wins. :)

Loads of power also dosen't need to be used to be the loudest either! 1KW of power, with poor conditions might not get you a contact, but with the right conditions, you can talk several THOUSAND miles, with only a few milliwatts! No joke!

SCPD

QRT
actually i got my Pro 96 as a Christmas present. and I'd rather listen to public safety than a bunch of guys demonstrating how much power they have.

N4JNW

Flintstone4680 said:
actually i got my Pro 96 as a Christmas present. and I'd rather listen to public safety than a bunch of guys demonstrating how much power they have.

Nice gift!

Well, to each his own I guess... But, getting back on track, as I mentioned, I feel not wanting to subscribe to a publication you like just because there's a "Ham article" in it, is weak dude..

That'd be like me not buying a diesel truck performance magazine because my truck isn't featured in it..

SCPD

QRT
well their website says
"The only monthly magazine devoted 100% to scanning and the scanning hobbyist.
NO Shortwave, Broadcast, DXing, or CB. Scanning is our life!"

hams have several magazines already. why does every radio related magazine have to have ham coverage?

JoeyC

Flintstone4680 said:
hams have several magazines already. why does every radio related magazine have to have ham coverage?

BFD. A years subscription (thats 12 issues in 12 months) is less than $30. Thats plenty of time to evaluate if the magazine meets your needs. Why don't you buy a subscription for a year (aint gonna break the bank) and sue them at the end of the year if you find any more ham articles claiming false advertising. :lol:

DickH

Flintstone4680 said:

You don't need to study, just dream up a call sign like some apparently do, and become an instant pseudo-ham. :)

hsdtech

Flintstone4680 said:

Well hobbies cost. HAM Radio will always be a part of the scanning hobby. Doesn't your scanner have a HAM band?
I would say most Hams also own scanners. All of us Hams don't sit around and talk about how much power we are running. We use the local VHF/UHF repeaters to talk about things that you and your friends sit around and talk about. We build friendships and learn from and help each other and shoot the bull. Some like to chase DX on HF, and others like myself think its amazing just to talk to someone in another country on low power and a homemade dipole.
I became a Ham after being a scanner buff for about 15 years. Hurricane Katrina made me a believer in Ham radio so I became one shortly after and love the hobby. I made new friends that I have a lot in common with including scanning.
So just because you heard a few boring ragchews doesn't mean thats all there is to Ham Radio. Believe me, you will learn more about the scanning hobby by becoming a Ham.

By the way, I dislike CB radio but won't throw away my scanner because it has THAT band.

kc4jgc

There are plenty of non-ham scannists that have at least one local ham repeater programmed in for monitoring weather (SKYWARN comes to mind here) or other emergency/disaster comms. I would bet those channels are locked out UNTIL the stuff hits the fan. Besides, listening to amateur stations is but one small part of the scanning hobby. Not every scannist listens to ham comms. If listening to us is not your cup of tea, so be it; skip to the next article. I can say with near 100% certainty there's is not a ham related article in each issue. Get the 1 yr sub; you may miss something!

eorange

♦Insane Asylum Premium Member♦
Don't buy Scamming USA. That magazine is the worst piece of drivel related to scanning.

I bought one issue a few years ago - the writing was amateurish, the photo captions didn't even match up to the photos, and the content was very lightweight.

Invest your money wisely and go with Pop Comm and/or MT. Pop Comm has a nice mix of scanning and ham articles, which IMO cross over quite a bit.

w0fg

Scanners receive ham radio signals. Why should it be unusual for a magazine devoted to scanners to feature one of the most easily received signals? Do you suppose the readers who get off listening to fast-food drive-ins complain about articles about public safety comms?

WA1CRZ

DickH said:
You don't need to study, just dream up a call sign like some apparently do, and become an instant pseudo-ham. :)
Yeah, I hate these people that make up call letters.

trunker0205

I subscribe to Scanning USA and it is primarily a scanning magazine.Ham repeaters in th 2 meter range 144-149Mhz and that is what a scanners range is just like rail,air, ect..

I like the mag..

trace1

Hmm...

Flintstone4680 said:
well their website says
"The only monthly magazine devoted 100% to scanning and the scanning hobbyist.
NO Shortwave, Broadcast, DXing, or CB. Scanning is our life!"

Is this gonna to turn into a HAM bashing post???

Heterodyne

Premium Subscriber
Flintstone guy:

Are you the type of guy who calls TV news polls and gives an 'Undecided' answer?

What a brilliantly redundant message!! You must be a troll, because I'm not sure someone can seriously be this obtuse by accident.

If you don't want to subscribe, then don't. Why not tell us what you're not thinking of having for dinner tonight while you're at it?

Status
Not open for further replies.