Will This Still Work?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SIMP

Hi,
I have an old Bearcat 855XLT scanner from years ago. Will it still pickup today's frequencies? I live in central Mississippi and would like Police and Fire Dept frequencies for the Clinton, MS area especially. If there is a good site I could visit and get them, please let me know. I sure would appreciate any help as I've been out of the scanner scene for about 12 years now. Thank you.

SIMP

SIMP

DPD1, I appreciate the quick response. So if I enter the "Police Backup to TRS / Special Events" frequencies, I'll be able to listen to the PD? I'm sorry if these questions sound dumb, it's just been a while. I don't remember it being so confusing when I could just go grab a "Police Call' book from Radio Shack. Again, thanks.

Jeff

Viper43

Why go to Radio Shack when everything you need is here under DATABASE?

All the frequencies and talkgroups you'll need..... Instead of spending $$ for out of date info drop a few $$ for the site here to help out.

V

DPD1

You just need the first RX one, not the input one... But yeah, looks like that city is still plain old VHF for PD and fire. Looks like the Jackson and other county stuff is digital though I think.

Dave
www.DPDProductions.com
Antennas & Accessories for the RF Professional & Radio Hobbyist

w0fg

"Backup for the TRS" sounds like they're using the 800 Mhz trunked system as their primary, but you won't know until you program the freqs and and give it a listen. You've already got the radio so you're not out anything but 5 minutes of your time. It looks like there is still a lot of VHF nearby.

cellblock776

SIMP said:
I don't remember it being so confusing when I could just go grab a "Police Call' book from Radio Shack.
Jeff
Didn't Radio Shack stop carrying Police Call a few years ago? I know I havn't used them or seen them locally for some time.

SIMP

I've never dealt with trunking before or talkgroups. Just plain old single frequencies. I did a little research on trunking today but it seemed a bit complicated so I gave up.

I may buy a trunking system just so I can listen. I saw a few choices at Radio Shack online today. Are the trunking scanners hard to use? Thanks for any feedback!

nexus

SIMP, they're not hard to use once you learn the basic operations of the scanner it'll become second nature in time. The same goes for understanding how trunking works. Once you grasp it, you'll soon see how it makes sense.

Here's a basic way of looking at how trunking works...

In a trunked system, it'll have say 5 repeaters (or frequencies) each radio that is on the system will have all 5 of these frequencies programmed in and will be scanning them. One of the 5 repeaters will act as a CONTROL CHANNEL which sends out a constant stream of data. The control channel acts like a traffic light at an intersection. It basically tells all of the radios what frequency to use to talk to another person on.

Now the thing to remember is that every agency that is on the system are using ALL of the 5 frequencies. FIRE, POLICE, AMBULANCE, PUBLIC WORKS, EOC, ROAD CREWS, etc. whoever they want to allow on the system. How they break them down is by something called TALKGROUPS which is a fancy word for CHANNEL.

Think of talkgroups as a virtual channel. It's not a frequency, but an ID CODE stored in each radio on the system. So when radio 1 has their dial set on the talkgroup Clinton PD Dispatch every other radio that happens to be scanning that talkgroup or have their dial set to it will hear radio 1's transmission.

Now if you just scan all 5 frequencies you'll end up hearing EVERYTHING, and the busier the system is, the harder it will be to follow conversations between each agency. One moment you'll be listening to a pd unit call in a tag, and then your scanner would lock in on a public works crew calling for a dump truck, and then maybe the fire department running hydrant tests...

This is why we have trunking scanners. The trunked scanner allows you to program in those talkgroup ID codes for each agency, so you can keep track of each person that is talking and to who they're talking to.

Another way at looking at trunking is like the cash register of a fast food place... Lets say its rush hour. You have a line of 10 people waiting to be served, but only 1 register open. Well all 10 people have to wait their turn at that 1 register, this would be how a conventional radio system works, 1 frequency for every user. Trunking works like this, you have those same 10 people in line, but instead of 1 register, now you have 5 registers open. So 5 customers can be served at once. As soon as a register becomes available the attendant (like a control channel) allows the next customer to step up to the free register to place their order.

So with a 5 channel trunked system, up to 4 agencies or users can talk at the same time, the 5th channel would be the control channel basically routing where each transmission goes.

I don't know if I got too technical or if you totally missed my point here... Hope you got something useful from it though.

Stick0413

Premium Subscriber
Trunking can be quite confusing just looking at it on paper and not really knowing how it works (playing with a trunktracking scanner.) Once you learn it, as previously said, it will become second nature. With most scanners capable of trunking there is software out there to program it (most of the time for a free trial then small fee.) This is the best way to go and makes everything 10x easier. Though once you do learn everything about your scanner its not all that hard to program by hand, just time consuming.

SIMP

Good job Nexus! Not too complicated at all man. If I wanted to get back into the scanner scene again, is there an affordable trunking scanner anyone could recommend? I saw a few on Radio Shack's site for around $150 or so. You all have been very helpful and I appreciate it.

One more thing, do all trunking scanners have the ability for talkgroup programming or whatnot?

Simp

nexus

DPD1 you are correct, It looks like that system for Hinds County, MS is going to be Motorola mixed which is analog and APCO25. So yeah, a digital scanner will be needed to hear some of the agencies.

SIMP, if you want to be able to hear any law enforcement in Hinds County you're going to need to purchase a digital scanner. Radio Shack offers the PRO-96. The other model that has digital ability is the Uniden BCD396. My preference is the Uniden model. You can order one from www.usascan.com or www.scannermaster.com.

And the other part of your question is YES. The whole idea behind having a 'trunktracking' scanner is that you can program talkgroups into it. So every trunktracking scanner made will have the ability to program, search, and scan talkgroup id's.

Looking at Hinds County from the link that DPD1 provided, they have a fairly large system. The primary site has 12 repeaters (frequencies) alone. You could program all of those into your current non-trunking scanner but you won't be able to really follow the conversations because part of a conversation will start on one frequency and end up on any of the other 11, as someone unkeys their microphone the radio goes back to standby mode, and then when someone keys up again the control channel assigns the first available frequency to the talkgroup in use. So say I key my radio and the control channel assigns 866.6250, and when I'm done talking it'll free up that freq for someone else. Then the person I'm talking to keys up to respond to me, the control channel just picks the next available frequency which could be 867.2125. Also you'd hear nothing but a bunch of noise because they're using DIGITAL and it'll require a digital scanner (pro-96 or bcd396) to receive it. Be prepared to spend at least 500 dollars.

Last edited:

SIMP

Wow! You all are so very helpful. I really do appreciate the input. I now have a direction to go in on my new scanner purchase. This forum group is top notch. Thanks again for your support everyone.

Simp

SIMP

I think I may be catching on now. Please tell me if I'm correct.

While viewing this page: http://www.radioreference.com/modules.php?name=RR&sid=823

I see the System Freq. listed at the top. However, underneath the freq. listing, I see what departments use those freq. Then it breaks it down into talkgroups. For example, Clinton PD has their own talkgroup and Jackson PD has theirs. Is that right?

But what exactly is the DEC, HEX, A and Display? Guys, I know these questions are probably ridiculous to you all, but thanks for taking the time to explain to an idiot.

Simp

nexus

SIMP... Yes that's correct, what you would do with your scanner is in program mode enter in ALL of the frequencies listed for which site you want to listen to. Hinds Co has several sites. Lets just use the one labeled primary for example. So you'll put your scanner in program mode and set it to MOTOROLA 800mhz for the type of trunked system you want to scan, and then enter in all of the frequencies for the primary site (13 in all) Then you can simply go back to the normal scan mode and press search and it will lock onto the control channel automatically and sit there (you won't hear anything) The control channel now also controls your scanner. So when Clinton PD's talkgroup becomes active, the control channel (that your scanner is monitoring) will instantly put your scanner on the frequency (out of those 13 you programmed in) and you'll be hearing their radio traffic.

If you want to just listen to ONLY them, push the hold button and the scanner will sit on that specific talkgroup and wait until something comes over it.

Ok now for the DEC HEX stuff... when you're scanning a motorola trunked system like hinds county, you'll enter the DEC as the talkgroup ID. the HEX isn't used so you can just ignore the HEX ok...

So lets say you've got your scanner set up, and it's monitoring the primary site, and you have the scanner in search mode, meaning it'll just receive any and all talkgroups that are active on the system... And when Clinton PD key's up your radio will display 16400

16400 is the talkgroup ID for Clinton PD Dispatch
16432 is the talkgroup ID for Clinton PD Cars

So when someone on Clinton PD cars keys up you'll see 16432 pop up on your scanner's display.

Now I know you're going to ask this so I'll just tell you now. You'll be able to program text (alphanumeric) tags for each talkgroup id. So you won't have to memorize those talkgroup id (DEC) codes. When you store or program 16432 in your scanner you can label it Clinton PD cars or anything you want. Each scanner is going to be a bit different, but most of the modern newer trunk-tracking scanners allow you to tag a memory channel or talkgroup id with text.

the letter A in the column is just telling you that that talkgroup is ANALOG (meaning its not digital and a basic trunktracking scanner will be able to receive it) if it was digital that spot in the list would have a D next to it...

Display is simply what that talkgroup id's designation is. on that system 16432 is designated as Clinton PD Cars and that would be what you'd want to have displayed on your scanner when it receives traffic on 16432. I mean you'd want to know who 16432 is when it comes up on your scanner right? It could be Cotton Pickers Squad or something like County Fire Hose rollers. lol.... But no, the person who posted all of that information put down that 16432 is clinton pd cars and that's what you would want to display on your scanner when it stops on it. Maybe if they would of labeled that column as Designation it might of made more sense to you? Another thing about display is that not all radios can have a bunch of letters to make complete words, so they abbreviate it.. like CPDDSP is Clinton PD Dispatch.

The most important information you'll need in the database for talkgroup id's is simply the DEC code. The description will tell you what that talkgroup is, and simply program your scanner with what label you like. Here is a little tip, to find out what each of those columns are, take your mouse cursor and hover it over light blue section of the information, like where it says HEX or DEC or MODE place your mouse over those and it will pop up with a bubble explaining to you what each of those columns are for.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.