Receiver Question?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shortwavewave

My question is a Communication Receiver better or worse than a Transciver (for Receive)

In further detail , basically i want to know if the yaesu FT-817ND is any better or worse than the icom R75 for recive

I want a new receiver that is smaller than the R75 but still want the same or better Receive Capabilitys
I do a lot of Dxpeditons of my own and I try to go places that the R75 just cant go with me
i cant see myself carrying a 12volt batt, the R75 and a huge antenna dragging behind me, lol But I mainly monitor 0-30mhz
Any suggestions, and i would like to keep it at $600 unless there is somthing out there that is just outstanding for the buck
Thank you in advanced

k9rzz

I guess it depends upon how many bells and whistles you can live without.

The R75 I believe has pass band tuning, notch filters, selectable band widths, etc which are VERY nice to have when digging out of the noise and interference.

That being said, if you go portable, and put up a nice antenna, you'll hear plenty with the small portable 817 if you're not trying to pull weak sigs out of the slop on some band.

For what it's worth, for a portable, bare bones general coverage receiver, the Palstar R-30 is hard to beat as well. It has memories and that's about it, but hooked up to a nice long wire, it's a smoking shortwave receiver. Perhaps some external audio filtering would suffice for lack of radio filters. Once I stuffed my R-30 in a back pack along with a battery, phones, paper, tape recorder, and 700 feet of wire (yup, it all fit), rode my bike over the a local park after dark, and with 700 ft of wire layed out on the ground, heard 1620 WDHP Virgin Islands all alone at S9+ !

If you need all the passband tuning, notches, memories, etc and still want smaller than the R-75 ... I really don't think there is such a pearl.

John K9RZZ

Last edited:

k9rzz

Edit: When I layed out that 700 ft of wire with the R30, I was 1 mile away from a 5 kw directional AM station, and had NO slop anywhere on the AM BC band. That's a tough little rig!

w0fg

The FT-817 is a fantastic QRP transceiver, but if you're strictly looking for receive performance I'd suspect that you'd be much happier with the Palstar R-30. The 817 is not what you'd call really convenient to use as a general search receiver. If you're using it strictly for memorized channels it might be OK, but it's really designed as a ham transceiver and is optimized for that use.

Status
Not open for further replies.