Frequency counter question

Status
Not open for further replies.

zguy1243

I am looking at buying a frequency counter and would like to know what you guys have good luck with. I have had a old Radio shack model for a long time but I understand that it just doesnt perform like the higher end models. I have been looking at the optoelectronics CUB and the Scout models. I have no need for the memories and the reaction tune that the scout offers. I am wondering if the Cub will have the same RF performance as the scout? Or maybe some that have had more experience with freq counters can suggest a model for me that has good performance.

Thanks
Jody

zz0468

QRT
Banned
What is it that you need to measure? How high in frequency? What sort of accuracy do you need? What sort of resolution? You mention "high end"... In my book, that means better than 24 GHz upper frequency range, better than 1x10-10 accuracy, and better than 1 hz resolution. Maybe you could narrow it down some... None of the ones you mention are very good. What do you consider "good rf performance"?

zguy1243

K, i suppose somthing better than the rat shack model, and I will be using it to just to play around with when out and about, say riding behind a police car, near a security truck, at a airshow, etc. I would never need 24Ghz coverage, now up to 2.4Ghz would be nice. So really I would like to know if the scout and the cub have similar RF performance.

k9rzz

So you need more of a signal 'sniffer' than a bench counter?

Picky picky ... I know.
1452.gif

Shortwavewave

Close call actually scans through the Freqs dosnt it? Correct me if im wrong...

BUt I myself would like to have a freq counter for the same reason, close call and sigstalker never cut it for me..

Id like to know what a good freq counter is too, only up too about 1.3ghz Are MFJ's any good?

zz0468

QRT
Banned
Ok. A frequency counter is not what you need. Have you tried looking for the specifications for the Cub vs the Scout? The Optoelectronics website shows what the performance should be - of course, it all depends on how you define "performance".

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
Close Call does not scan through the frequencies. It operates like a frequency counter in that detects and count a strong signal within about 100 ms of activation. The only "scanning" it does is to switch among the bands (which you can individually enable or disable). A negative band check, IOW a check on a band that has no strong signal, takes 20 mS or less.

A "strong signal" is defined as a signal that is at least 18 dB or so above any other signal in that band.

For all intents and purposes, detection is near immediate (worst case, about 1/2 second with all bands enabled; typical would be less than 150 mS).

Gilligan

Database Admin
I used a Scout 40 as well and it was awesome. I sold it when I got my 246T w/ Close Call and then later got a Pro-97 for Signal Stalker II. The Signal Stalker II would be idea for what you are wanting to do. Anything w/ Close Call is okay but Signal Stalker II is much better. And with Uniden's Close Call options of autostore it pretty much does away with a need for the Scout. I've still considered trying to get a Scout again just for a dedicated frequency hunter in the car but I can't justify the $200+ it would run. And do realize that the old Scout does not provide audio so you cannot confirm what it just picked up.

So here's what I'd do: If you want a dedicated frequency hunter that you can pay attention to as it's hunting, get a Pro-97 (on sale) with Signal Stalker II (or wait for GRE's new scanners). If you want to be able to keep the hunter concealed on your belt or in a jacket and don't want to mess with it until after it has hunted freqs for a while, get a scanner w/ Close Call and make sure it has the autostore option.

One more thing: you will catch stuff with either one. Regardless of my success w/ Signal Stalker II, both will pick up stuff around you. I scouted out my local PD's hidden chatter channel by accidently having one of them turned on and I didn't believe it at the time. But I recommend Signal Stalker II any day.

k4njk

If you insist on purchasing a frequency counter the Scout 40 is your best bet. However, I agree with the comments above by Gilligan that the BEST solution for you is the PRO-97. I have personally owned the Scout 40, Xplorer, BC246, BC396 and PRO-97. I have had the best success with the PRO-97. It has found VHF, UHF, 800mhz and airband signals. In the exact same setting and with the same antennas the Uniden found only the UHF and VHF signals. It is very helpful to be able to listen to audio while displaying a newly found frequency.

After purchasing the Uniden's and trying close call I considered getting another Scout for frequency hunting. People on this board recommended the PRO-97 so I decided to try that first. I no longer have any desire to purchase a Scout. In my collection I still have the 246, 396 and 97 but no longer have either of the Optoelectronics products. In my opinion the PRO-97 is worth the price for just frequency hunting.

fineshot1

I dont have any scanners with close call or signal stalker but I do have the Scout 40 and its been an excellent signal detector especially at or near tower sites. However, if I were to make another purchase right now ( for a freq counter ) I would opt to spend more and get the Opto CD100. It has the same functionality as the Scout 40 and also reads and stores the ctcss/dcs/dtmf/ltr tones.

Gilligan

Database Admin
Just for the record, I remember getting a TON of paging and FM transmitter interference on my Scout 40 when I had it. Of course, that was in the metro, but still it was pretty bad.

hsdtech

The Pro-97 also displays any tones during sig stalker. You would be paying a lot less and get a lot more with the Pro. Unless you just have money to burn.
For what you are wanting a counter for, it has been shown here that the Pro-97 will definitely satisfy your needs.

W4KRR

Premium Subscriber
I have used frequency counters, and I personally have found products like Signal Stalker and Close Call are much better for my purposes. I mean, most hobbiest users want to know (for an example) what frequency is being used by the hand held radio over there, and it's much more useful to see the display read "464.925" from Close Call or Signal Stalker than what you would get from a frequency counter, which might be something like "464.9246875" or something similar. And I have found Close Call and Signal Stalker to be more stable in their readings too. JMO.

Gilligan

Database Admin
hsdtech said:
The Pro-97 also displays any tones during sig stalker....
For the record, the Pro-97 DOES NOT display tones during Signal Stalker II. Just during searches. Unless there is something completely obvious that I'm missing or there is updated firmware that I need to get. Cause I've been wishing it would display tones since I got it!

fineshot1

frankh said:
If you're trying for digital , you need a 996 , a 396 or a digital scout. As the low end counters don't work/detect pulsed (digital) signals.

Digital Scout is not necessary. We are talking about Digtal audio on an Analog Carrier.

Status
Not open for further replies.