Scanner feature to L/O station with a specific PL

Status
Not open for further replies.
[I posted this thought in the NM Forum - I think it might do better here]

For what it's worth, I just got an idea for scanner manufacturers -- for scanner users like me.

I like to see a feature in the scanner which allows a transmission with a PL tone on to NOT be heard. That is, the station with the PL tone will deliberately mute the audio of the receiver, even though the station's carrier is detected by the receiver. --- just the opposite of what the PL should do.

For instance: I want to listen to the CSQ transmissions on 460.15 (from NMSP), and I do not want to listen to the Juarez station that transmits on 460.15 with a CTCSS of 107.3 Hz. I would put in a CTCSS of 107.3 Hz for the 460.15 channel, and choose the "L/O PL station" option when programming in the PL tone. The choice of this option allows me to listen to ALL 460.15 transmissions that do not have the PL of 107.3, -- meaning I can hear all transmissions with any other PL, and all stations without a PL (CSQ), but not the station with the PL of 107.3

Of course, I would still hear the intermods and crosstalks on 460.15 since I am essentially in the CSQ mode for the example above.

The default option when programming in the PL would be the way PL is currently used.

Can be done for DCS and CTCSS

What do you all think? Added flexibility worth having in a scanner? Call it "L/O PL", "Block PL", "xPL", or whatever,...... anything to distinguish from Channel L/O.

Peter

Last edited:

N9JIG

Sheriff
ILikeHatchChili said:
[I posted this thought in the NM Forum - I think it might do better here]

For what it's worth, I just got an idea for scanner manufacturers -- for scanner users like me.

I like to see a feature in the scanner which allows a transmission with a PL tone on to NOT be heard. That is, the station with the PL tone will deliberately mute the audio of the receiver, even though the station's carrier is detected by the receiver. --- just the opposite of what the PL should do.

For instance: I want to listen to the CSQ transmissions on 460.15 (from NMSP), and I do not want to listen to the Juarez station that transmits on 460.15 with a CTCSS of 107.3 Hz. I would put in a CTCSS of 107.3 Hz for the 460.15 channel, and choose the "L/O PL station" option when programming in the PL tone. The choice of this option allows me to listen to ALL 460.15 transmissions that do not have the PL of 107.3, -- meaning I can hear all transmissions with any other PL, and all stations without a PL (CSQ), but not the station with the PL of 107.3

Of course, I would still hear the intermods and crosstalks on 460.15 since I am essentially in the CSQ mode for the example above.

The default option when programming in the PL would be the way PL is currently used.

Can be done for DCS and CTCSS

What do you all think? Added flexibility worth having in a scanner? Call it "L/O PL", "Block PL", "xPL", or whatever,...... anything to distinguish from Channel L/O.

Peter

This feature already exists in the BC780, 785, 796, 250, 296 scanners, where you set the channel up as PL or DPL and press the L/O button instead of the Enter button during channel programming.

The current generation Unidens such as the 396, 996 330 and BC15's also have this feature.

AFAIK there are no RS scanners with this, and I don't know if the upcomeing GRE line will have it.

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
CT/DC options

There are several variations of this I would like. Can the Unidens do them all?

1. Ignore a specific CT/DC. (the answer seems to be yes)

2. Ignore ANY CT/DC, only allow CSQ.

3. Allow ANY CT/DC, but ignore CSQ.

4. Allow a LIST of specific CT/DC frequencies.

Thanks.

N9JIG said:
This feature already exists in the BC780, 785, 796, 250, 296 scanners, where you set the channel up as PL or DPL and press the L/O button instead of the Enter button during channel programming.

The current generation Unidens such as the 396, 996 330 and BC15's also have this feature.

AFAIK there are no RS scanners with this, and I don't know if the upcomeing GRE line will have it.
====
Thanks, folks. I have both the 780 and the 396. Never looked for it I've seen the "Set Lockout" option in the 396 when entering a PL.. I thought it was kind of stupid to ask you if you want to LO the channel just as you are setting a PL. I tried it, and the 396 alternates C107.2 and xxxxxxx which makes a lot of sense when seeing this.

Probably because I have been using the PRO-97 too much and neglecting the 396 mostly because of the audio quality of the 97 (i hate the squelch knob on the 97 - love the volume and squelch control on the 396)

Peter

N9JIG

Sheriff
gmclam said:
There are several variations of this I would like. Can the Unidens do them all?

1. Ignore a specific CT/DC. (the answer seems to be yes)
Yes,, they can ignore a single PL or DPL.

gmclam said:
2. Ignore ANY CT/DC, only allow CSQ.
No, by definition CSQ is going to hear all activity on the channel, regardless of whether there is a PL or not.

gmclam said:
3. Allow ANY CT/DC, but ignore CSQ.
Again, no. While I suppose if they were to program it so they could do it but there hasn't been any radio so far to do so. If you really wanted to you could program multiple channels, each with a different PL. (This was what we used to do in order to find PL's in the old days when the BC760 was the only radio with PL decoding...)

gmclam said:
4. Allow a LIST of specific CT/DC frequencies.
The best way for this would be to program the same freq in multiple times with the different PL/DPL codes.

Thanks.[/quote]

Status
Not open for further replies.