Trunking and Digital Scanners ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

FrankJunior2

I am sure this has been asked before and I apologize in advance. In my area, Cola. SC there are only about 25 channels that I would listen to. Last week I purchased a Pro-433 scanner from Radio Shack. What a disappointment. Once the scanner was programmed, the Sheriffs department (800Mhz) channels, there was this horrible loud noise that would stop the scanner from scanning a lot. I deleted those channels and wound up not hearing the sheriffs dept. anymore. I returned the scanner realizing I need a scanner that has a toned squelch. Because I would listen to only about 25 channels is trunking necessary. Also the only digital channels in my area are only a few and are used only at special events and remain dormant most of the time. Are the two still needed and worth the extra money? Thanks in advance for your help.

fmon

Silent Key Jan. 14, 2012
Welcome to the forum.

You may get better assistance if this were in the South Carolina forum.

Where is Cola.? Is this a short for Columbia? If so, the 800 MHz freqs used by Public Safety is through Palmetto 800 trunking system and it appears you may have programmed the frequencies in conventional mode which will give you a "there was this horrible loud noise that would stop the scanner from scanning a lot". This would be the control frequency or (CC for Control Channel). Incorrectly programmed will assure this situation. Correctly programmed will be bliss.

Study this Radio Reference Wiki page (Motorola) under Trunked Radio System Types.

The Pri-433 manual has specific instructions to properly set the scanner to track this system. If this Palmetto page is the correct system, site 030 (RICHCO) should be your frequencies. Scroll down the page to Richland County/Columbia Talkgroups, starting with DEC ID# 3728 (USC MAINTENANCE) through 64848 (Forest Acres PD Dispatch). Notice also the D or E under the MODE column starting with ID# 59008. These talkgroups are digital (D) or encrypted digital (E) - nether can be heard by this scanner and E can't be heard by any scanner. All other ID's are analog according to the data and can be heard by the 433. A Pro-96 or 2096 can hear all but the (E), but Sheriff's ID's are all listed without D or E MODE, so correctly programmed will work very well with the 433.

FrankJunior2

Thanks guys for your help. The last time I had a scanner there was no 800Mhz. It was hi/lo VHF and 400 meg UHF FM in this area. You purchased crystals for your scanning needs. My how things have changed. As I am at work and don't have the time to get familiar with this site I will be after I get home tonight. Look forward to talking to you all. Thanks again.

DickH

FrankJunior2 said:
Thanks guys for your help. The last time I had a scanner there was no 800Mhz. It was hi/lo VHF and 400 meg UHF FM in this area. You purchased crystals for your scanning needs. My how things have changed. As I am at work and don't have the time to get familiar with this site I will be after I get home tonight. Look forward to talking to you all. Thanks again.

There is a Yahoo group for the PRO-433.
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/PRO-433_scanners

There is a simple explanation of Motorola trunking and step by step programming help specifically for the PRO-433. The group is free to join. Info. is in the FILES section.

Status
Not open for further replies.