Frequencies not working

Status
Not open for further replies.

4the8

I LIVE IN SANTA CRUZ COUNTY CALIFORNIA AND I TRIED INPUTING THE FREQUENCIES FOR MY LOCAL EMERGENCY DISPATCHER BUT I GET NOTHING. ON THE FREQUENCY LIST THERE IS A COLUMN FOR THE FREQUENCY AND A COLUMN FOR THE INPUT; WHICH ONE DO I USE( ALTHOUGH I USED BOTH AND ITS STILL NOT COMING THROUGH. ALSO I YHOPUGHT MAYBE THE INPUT COLUMN # MIGHT HAVE SOMETHING TO DO WITH IT BUT I DONT KNOW HOW TO INPUT THESE. i COULD USE ANT ADVICE THANK YOU

I HAVE A RADIOSHACK PRO-97 TRIPLE TRUNCKING HANDHELD

captclint

Mentor
You do not need to program the input frequencies. You should hear dispatch and others unless you are in a bad location. With a handheld, being inside a house with aluminum siding will prevent some weaker signals. Try putting scanner near various different windows, preferably the higher ones.

Last edited:

wogggieee

Premium Subscriber
also try adjusting your squelch. You may not have it open wide enough for a weaker signal to get through.

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Maybe he hit the caps lock key by mistake? BTW, the use of caps is for EMPHASIS or you can use an 'apostrophe' bracketing the word or phrase.

4the8

sorry for the caps

it doesn't seem to matter if im inside or out, im not getting anything. That good to know about the input freq.. I've adjusted the squelch according to the manual, do you mean to say that I should continue twisting farther pass the point of silience? thank you for the help.

Last edited:

Don_Burke

4the8 said:
it doesn't seem to matter if im inside or out, im not getting anything. That good to know about the input freq.. I've adjusted the squelch according to the manual, do you mean to say that I should continue twisting farther pass the point of silience? thank you for the help.
To see if you scanner is working at all, try to pick up your local NOAA weather. A large number of the stations are on 162.550 and most of the rest are on 162.400 or 162.475. There are also some on 162.425, 162.450, 162.500, 162.525.

4the8

yes and no

Don_Burke said:
To see if you scanner is working at all, try to pick up your local NOAA weather. A large number of the stations are on 162.550 and most of the rest are on 162.400 or 162.475. There are also some on 162.425, 162.450, 162.500, 162.525.

thank you, i tried to tune to these channels and got nothing, but when I hit the WX button that has some preprogrammed weather channels, I got a perfect signal from 162.55000, so I must be doing something wrong, like in the wrong mode after I tune a freq. or something. I don't get it.
Thank you for your help.

4the8

Don_Burke said:
It sounds like you are missing something in the programming steps.

Try this:

MAN
MAN
PGM
ENT

yes that works great, but I try it with my local fire/EMS freq. thats listed on this site and I get nothing. Could the freq. listed be outdated maybe.

Don_Burke

4the8 said:
yes that works great, but I try it with my local fire/EMS freq. thats listed on this site and I get nothing. Could the freq. listed be outdated maybe.
What is the frequency that you have?

The way I read the database, 154.325 should be pretty busy.

Last edited:

captclint

Mentor
Since one time you programmed all the weather channels and got nothing, but when you entered per Don's method you got them, I'm wondering if by some chance you have the banks where you are putting the dispatch channels locked out. Check that all banks are scanning and not locked out.

If you have an attenuator button, check to see if it is turned off. If it is on it will prevent some signals from coming through.

Charlie
Reading,PA

4the8

Don_Burke said:
What is the frequency that you have?

The way I read the database, 154.325 should be pretty busy.

Thanx for the help. yes , thats how I'm reading the database also and 154.325 is one of the freq. I'm very interested in. I don't get it.

4the8

capt_clint said:
Since one time you programmed all the weather channels and got nothing, but when you entered per Don's method you got them, I'm wondering if by some chance you have the banks where you are putting the dispatch channels locked out. Check that all banks are scanning and not locked out.

Thanx very much for your help Capt Clint. I tried a scan and it seems to be scanning only bank 0 and bank 1 which is good to know, but I have the channels programmed into bank 0 specifically 154.325 in bank 0 channel 2(002) and it doesn't come up in a scan. any idea why.
thanx again

4the8

radiomonitor33 said:
If you have an attenuator button, check to see if it is turned off. If it is on it will prevent some signals from coming through.

Charlie
Reading,PA

Thank you radio monitor33. I played with the attenuator button and it was on( I believe, it was all caps ie. ATT) and now it is off( I believe; it is now all lower case , att) but I still get the same silence. I know there should be traffic on this channel.
Thanx for any help.

captclint

Mentor
4the8 said:
bank 0 specifically 154.325 in bank 0 channel 2(002) and it doesn't come up in a scan. any idea why.
Just put the scanner on manual and listen to channel 2(002). You should hear traffic that way. If you don't then location and/or attenuation could be the problem. Normally, attenuation is done on each channel separately, and it should be OFF as a default. Check your manual to be sure you didn't just put it on for channel 2(002). One other thought...be sure you didn't accidently program a PL/DPL tone for this channel. You COULD use 162.2 PL, but maybe you somehow put in the wrong one. Just make sure CTCSS/DCS on channel 2(002) is off for now.

Last edited:

4the8

capt_clint said:
Just put the scanner on manual and listen to channel 2(002). You should hear traffic that way. If you don't then location and/or attenuation could be the problem. Normally, attenuation is done on each channel separately, and it should be OFF as a default. Check your manual to be sure you didn't just put it on for channel 2(002). One other thought...be sure you didn't accidently program a PL/DPL tone for this channel. You COULD use 162.2 PL, but maybe you somehow put in the wrong one. Just make sure CTCSS/DCS on channel 2(002) is off for now.

Thank you it seems thst location was my problem. I seem to be getting some interferance from the electronics in my room. Thank you very much for your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.