Can an OpenSky system be mistaken for an LTR?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedPenguin

I was searching with my BCT15 radio scanner. I came up with two frequencies, 866.65 and 866.925, which looks like the might be part of the OpenSky system in PA, since i am in Johnstown and it's registered in Johnstown, Cambria County, PA to Harrisburg, yet my BCT15 is tripping on both channels saying it's and LT system and once in a while gets some IDs but I don't really hear anything.

Can a BCT15 actually mistake an OpenSky for LT and actually obtain IDs every now and then?

EDIT: Can my BCT15 just be going crazy? Now it's getting LT systems in the 341MHZ range, and there are no known LT systems in my area.

EDIT #2: Well I ruled out my BCT15 being messed up, my BR330T identifies them as LTR also.

Odd thing is I never seem to hear anything but once in a while I get IDs, but this is at 2AM.

Last edited:

N4JNW

An OpenSky system is encrypted I'm thinking... If this is the case, then the BCT 15 shouldn't even be recieving a talkgroup. It wouldn't understand anyting that even comes across the air.

Possibly some more light can be shed on this. I'm not experienced with OpenSky or LTR..

DiGiTaLD

I don't believe OpenSky is encrypted per se. Its TDMA digital voice, IIRC. I'm sure there is encryption available on top of the TDMA, but would probably only be used for certain groups. Its just that there isn't a commercially available scanner that will decode TDMA or an OpenSky control channel, which is proprietary to M/A Com.

I would say a BCT15 cannot "mistake" OpenSky for LTR. Its probably just erroneous data you're seeing.

zz0468

QRT
Banned
Frequencies get reused - A LOT. It's quite possible that you're hearing an LTR system on frequencies assigned to an Opensky system elsewhere. If you're outside the designed service area of a system, the bet's off as to what you'll actually hear.

N

N_Jay

OS can not be "detected" or "decoded" by a LTR receiver.

It is possible that the receiver could be falsed into spitting out some garbage messages that look like they are valid IDs.

RedPenguin

Hmmm

Yeah, it's weird because 866.65 and 855.925 both say my city of Johnstown, PA and are registered to Harrisburg,PA, but on both my BCT15 and BR330T, even though I am in the city of Johnstown, they both immediately after a little while eventually trip on each frequency and say it's an LTR and it eventually receives LTR looking IDs.

SCPD

QRT
LTR's protection scheme is weak. Feed it enough random noise and it will occasionally spit out a few IDs.

RedPenguin

Hmmm

Speaking of trunk systems, what system would make a channel that just sounds like someone playing with the PTT button of a walkie-talkie the whole time?

There are two channels listed at FB6 in my area, and on these two channels, it just tee, tee, tee, or whatever sound the entire time, no other sounds.

I can't spell the sound but it's like a noise you can make yourself, but the noise like someone like I said, is just sitting someone pressing and unpressing the talk button over and over again.

DiGiTaLD

RedPenguin said:
Speaking of trunk systems, what system would make a channel that just sounds like someone playing with the PTT button of a walkie-talkie the whole time?
Sounds like LTR to me.

RedPenguin

Hmmm

But it's like ever second and it never trips either Uniden to say it's LT nor does it ever get an ID or anything.

EDIT: nvm it looks like some of it may just be a close by Realistik 45-channel scanner messing with the BCT15.

But the original two channels for Johnstown, Cambria County, PA, the 461.8625 and 461.5375 assigned to Hilltop Leasing Inc, still make both the BR330T and BCT15 go like a clock or something, but with the sound of someone pressing and unpressing the PTTY button extremely fast.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.