trunking vs. digital trunking?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeff120

I'm looking for another scanner. Possibly a base scanner. I now have the PRO-67 and the PRO-96. I see scanners that say digital trunking and some just say triple trunking or something like that. What is the main difference between digital trunking and trunking.

Thanks

sjcscanner

Premium Subscriber
standard/dual trunking moniters: edacs and motorola systems
triple trunking moniters: edacs, motorola, and LTR systems
digital trunking moniters: edacs, motorola, and project-25 system

where do you live? if your area has digital then you want a digital scanner.

i dont belive your pro-67 can pickup any trunking
your pro-96 on the other hand, can pick up just about anything out there today.

Last edited:

w0fg

Jeff120 said:
I'm looking for another scanner. Possibly a base scanner. I now have the PRO-67 and the PRO-96. I see scanners that say digital trunking and some just say triple trunking or something like that. What is the main difference between digital trunking and trunking.

Thanks

Trunking is a method of sharing frequencies to accomodate greater traffic. Digital (trunking or conventional) is a form of modulation, i.e. the way the signal is made to carry voice or other intelligence. One does not necessarily imply the other. Many scanners are capable of receiving trunked signals; only a few models are capable of receiving digital signals, trunked or otherwise. As you might expect, they are also the most expensive. Which you need depends on the systems in use in your area.

Jeff120

Thanks for your information both of you. I am definitely in a P25 area. I live in Philadelphia and they switched over a few years ago. So I guess I need either the Pro-96 or the Pro-2096. Are there any other brands that offer Digital Trunking besides RadioShack? ANy brands and models off the top of your head?

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Uniden, and shortly, GRE (not marketed by RS this time) are both in the digital game. The GRE models are expected out this fall - check out the extensive forum threads on the subject. The following Wiki article indexes all the digital models;

http://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/Category:Digital_Scanners

In addition to the Pa.forum. If you live in Philadelphia, you really need to belong to the Phillyscanner Yahoo group. It's a tremendous resource for that area, and there's an EBook to which you can subscribe which is, in some ways, even a better resource than the RRDB. Of course you can't download data from an EBook :.>>

73s Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.