When you go into a store do you hide your scanner

Status
Not open for further replies.
N

nec208

When you go into a store do you hide your scanner under the seat of the car? I was at walmart and this tow truck gon into stor for some thing and about 10 antennas or more and I'm thinking what if some one brakes in and takes every thing.

Or some scanner guy in car gets robbed or some one steals it.

What do you do so you don't advertise like I have money.

dustin486

I normally hide expensive things under the seat so that someone walking by doesn't look in and see something that they want to steal. If I have my laptop with me for some odd reason ill normally bring it inside with me.

rcvmo

Have a camera mounted inside the vehicle connected to a wireless server along with trip switch from alarm. If someone breaks in, alarm sends signal to dial me on my phone, connects me to my van and I sit back and watch. Of course need another phone to notify the authorities, or find the nearest store loss prevention. Delay time from actual incident to viewing time can vary.
rcvmo

sjcscanner

Premium Subscriber
rcvmo said:
Have a camera mounted inside the vehicle connected to a wireless server along with trip switch from alarm. If someone breaks in, alarm sends signal to dial me on my phone, connects me to my van and I sit back and watch. Of course need another phone to notify the authorities, or find the nearest store loss prevention. Delay time from actual incident to viewing time can vary.
rcvmo

i gotta admit, thats one of the coolest security setups ive ever heard of.

when i go in to the store i hide my scanner in the cb radio slot in the car. i have a ford f150, and since i dont have a cb radio, its ideal for hiding things in. also if you have a handheld in your car, put it in the door slot.

DiGiTaLD

Depends where I'm at. Sometimes I stick the PRO-96 under the seat if I happen to have it with me. But, I've got a Yaesu FT-7800R mounted in a console between the seats, which isn't so easy to hide. So far I've been lucky. Even when I was in college, when I had radio gear in the car, it wasn't broken in to and stolen, which was a pretty common occurrance where I went to school. Guess luck has been on my side for a while.

scanrrman

500$ for a scanner....it won't ever leave my sight!!!! Unscrew the antenna and drop it in my pocket. Some car security systems aren't as expensive as a 396. I also wouldn't like it when it's hot outside and leaving it the car with windows rolled up. Is it worth 2 seconds...You bet!!!!

N4JNW

I always bring in my scanner. I either bring it in, or leave it at home all together.

Yeah, I might miss out on something if I'm out, but I'd rather miss an EMS call than to be missing my scanner!

stevecubfan

Premium Subscriber
I take my Pro 96 everywhere I go . I use a pair of earbuds for privacy. at Walmart it doesn't matter because 99% that are there wouldn't understand a word being said.

bdub5

That one guy...
Premium Subscriber
I have been lucky. I only ever had radio equipment stolen once. The lady parked beside me had all kinds of presents sitting in her back seat and then they looked over in my car and seen my radio. They only too my FT-8100 and a bag of tools in the trunk. The only life saver was my insurance company paid me for the radio because it was bolted to the hump.

wogggieee

Premium Subscriber
I usually just stick the scanner under my seat. My Ft-8800 is remote mounted in the trunk. That is out of site. All that is seen is the control head. I don't usually do anything with that, unless I'm in a particularly bad area and if i know ill be there before had I'll take the antennas off and put the rain caps on and remove the control head and not even bring the scanner. But i rarely go into areas like that.

ampulman

scanrrman said:
500$ for a scanner....it won't ever leave my sight!!!! Unscrew the antenna and drop it in my pocket. Some car security systems aren't as expensive as a 396. I also wouldn't like it when it's hot outside and leaving it the car with windows rolled up. Is it worth 2 seconds...You bet!!!!

Ditto. When my 396 is out with me, it travels in a neat little shoulder bag I picked up at Totes. The radio, belt clip and the antenna fit into the main compartment. I attached a small bag (picked up at WalMart) which carries extra batteries and an earphone.

While packing up today, I discoverd a previously unfound pocket, in which I plan to put cheat sheets. During cold weather, the bag resides under my jacket; in mild weather, the radio sits under my armpit. I do get stabbed every so often by that RS 800 antenna.

AM

AM

scannerrail

I bring my scanner with me in the store.. I have the headphone hooked up however..

I however local in town gone into the bank up to the ATM with out the headphone jack in I did not get any odd looks.

K9GTJ

I don't hide my radio (BCD996T) since it is mounted along with a ham rig (Yaesu FT8900). I do garage park at home and when someplace where I need to leave the truck all day I remove the antennas.

The only thing I have ever had stolen (besides my entire 1985 Camero) was an audivox FM add on which added FM to an car AM radio. This was in 1979 and some dude stole a $15 piece of junk. :roll:

Status
Not open for further replies.