Help with modifying motorola speaker for Pro97

Status
Not open for further replies.

xpawel15x

I need a good quality audio speaker so I'm going with motorola. It is Amplified to be loud enough for my Pro-97 which has the headphone jack limitation. I'm interested in this particular one which is currenty on Ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Motorola-Amplif...ryZ48709QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

My Questions:

It says that and looks like it has the 1/8 (3.5mm) plug to go into my Pro-97 headphone jack. So that's done. But what with the other 3 cables? I'm so confused. How do I use AC power adapter with that speaker? What Adaptaplug? I have a 12v 300mA AC Adapter with a size C Adaptaplug. Now how do I use it with this speaker? Could someone explain to me. Thank You.

Last edited:

JnglMassiv

It says that and looks like it has the 1/8 (3.5mm) plug to go into my Pro-97 headphone jack. So that's done. But what with the other 3 cables? I'm so confused. How do I use AC power adapter with that speaker? What Adaptaplug? I have a 12v 300mA AC Adapter with a size C Adaptaplug. Now how do I use it with this speaker? Could someone explain to me. Thank You.
The two battery wires (Batt +/Batt-) are to supply power to the speaker amplifier. You'll need some way to splice or connect those wires to the appropriate terminals on your AC adapter. In a pinch, you could remove the Adaptaplug and insert the wires from the speaker into the receptacle for the Adaptaplug pins. Once you get it going, you'll probably want to find a more secure long-term solution.
The mute wire should be connected directly to the positive connector on the power supply. In other words, the green, yellow and red wires should all be wired in parallel and connected to the poitive supply terminal.

You may find that your adapter is a bit under powered for high volumes. I think that style speaker comes in 6 or 12 watt versions while your power supply is at best only good to 4 watts.

Finally, I'm not certain how sensitive the speaker's amplifier is but you will doubtlessly want to make very, very certain you have the polarity correct. If you have doubts, ask here or find someone locally to help you. It could break the speaker if wired backwards.

scanrrman

Or......you could spent that $20 and find a good new one in a box with a receipt that you could pick up THAT DAY. Not knockin /\/\ at all. Just the ones that look burnt and dirty and need a little surgery. Maybe, the same thing at a garage sale and a 1/4 the price.....

Status
Not open for further replies.