Cheap Spectrum Analysis Tool?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave_D

Hi all,

My scanner sometimes 'reacts' to nearby Sheriff's vehicles. The scanner doesn't lock onto a frequency but emanates light static as they drive by. An enthusiastic newb, I'd love to explore this and other such anomalies. Is there a poor-man's spectrum analyzer available such that I could pinpoint the relevant frequency and power? Of course, it'd be difficult to drive and monitor the analyzer for spikes, so there must be provided a method of recording and playback.

This is purely frivolous, so I wouldn't want to spend too much money. Maybe an attachment for a laptop PC?

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Dave

hsdtech

So are you saying your not able to monitor your local law enforcement with your scanner?

Dave_D

Nope. My scanner works great. It's just that when I'm in the immediate vicinity - maybe 50 feet - of a local Sheriff, I hear static from the scanner's speaker. Close Call is enabled for all relevant Sheriff frequencies but does not lock in on anything. The Sheriff is not transmitting on his radio. It's something else. Something constant. Was wondering what it might be.

Last edited:

Dave_D

Last I checked, our Sheriffs had no mobile data terminals, but its been awhile since I peered inside a vehicle. Furthermore, our Sheriffs use our statewide EDACS system. I scan all relevant input frequencies and have not yet heard data coming from a Sheriff's vehicle. FWIW.

The Digital Scout looks nice, if still a little pricey for my modest curiosity. I'll watch eBay....

Thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.