Morse Code Translator

Status
Not open for further replies.

Harlock

During today's scans I came across a frequency that seems to be broadcasting what sounds like morse code. Rather than beeps for the long/shorts, the static is transmitting the long/shorts with clear space between the long/short static.

There is no way I can translate this without recording it, and spending hours/weeks/months deciphering it. Is there a computer program out there that I can feed the audible code into, and have it translate the message?

Is there someone here who is willing to spend some time listening to a frequency picked up in Western NC? 490.2750

-H-

ampulman

Harlock said:
During today's scans I came across a frequency that seems to be broadcasting what sounds like morse code. Rather than beeps for the long/shorts, the static is transmitting the long/shorts with clear space between the long/short static.

There is no way I can translate this without recording it, and spending hours/weeks/months deciphering it. Is there a computer program out there that I can feed the audible code into, and have it translate the message?

Is there someone here who is willing to spend some time listening to a frequency picked up in Western NC? 490.2750

Sounds like what you're describing is how I used to listen to Morse on an old shortwave radio (many, many years ago) that didn't have a BFO (beat frequency oscillator). I don't know if the pulses would work, but there is a program (free for download) called MultiPSK which will decode and print out on your monitor. All you need is an audio-in line to your sound card. Good luck.

AM

W9NES

Could it be a Trunking channel for a UHF system.It also could be a regular channel and the FCC call sign is being given out by CW or morse code instead of the dispatcher giving out by voice on the hour and half hour.Listen and see if it happens on the hour and half hour like at 8PM and then again at 8:30PM.A lot of Public Safety agenices are doing this insted of having there dispatcher do it by voice.

Harlock

Wow Guys...

Thanks for all the information! I'm beat right now, but I'm going to D/L that program, AMPULMAN. The signal continued non-stop through an hours worth of time when I stopped monitoring it. I just checked now to see if the signal was still being broadcast, and it is. As long as I punch in the original found frequency, I can scan up/down and quickly find the signal being broadcast rather strongly.

-H-

Harlock

Oh, and I will post the recording tomorrow; like I said... right now, I'm beat, man.

Zzzzz....

-H-

Harlock

Recording of Possible Static Morse Code

Ok Gang...

Hopefully this attachment feature works. The file is in .WAV format and runs @ 2.5min.

Lemme know what you think.

-H-

Harlock

Man, this attachment feature is totally not working. I tried it as a .WAV and as a .ZIP, and neither worked. It's only a 40k file, too. <shrug> If anyone wants it, drop your email, and I'll send it to ya! I'm off to scan!

-H-

Harlock

K9rzz...

I tried every which way to send you this file, and all my email addys were giving me attitude. I'll try the address you posted again, but if it doesn't work, do you have another. I found the Static Morse Code (SMC) on THREE channels the other day! Loud and Clear. Check out my north carolina journal page for the updates i posted today.

-h-

Harlock

My bad, everyone...

This file is about 32+ megs. None of my emails seem to want to handle the load. Any suggestions???

MagicMan

Well, if you own your own domain and hosting a website, upload the file on it. I do that with a lot with other files that most mail severs won't handle. I have 5 websites so I can always add it somewhere with it's own page. The question is do you know how to FTP?

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Hi Harlock and all,

Don't bother with the recording or trying to decode it, I already know what you're talking about and here's the lowdown. Like the man said you need a receiver with a beat frequency oscillator (BFO) or product detector to produce an audible tone from the carrier wave. Such a receiver would have CW/SSB capability and apparently yours does not.

While it's possible for the human ear to distinguish Morse characters from receiver quieting vs. noise a computer program that uses a sound card cannot, it requires an audio tone to decode any digital mode.

Don_Burke

Harlock said:
My bad, everyone...

This file is about 32+ megs. None of my emails seem to want to handle the load. Any suggestions???
Convert it to mono and MP3 and make it shorter.

I get 26 minutes into less than 13 meg using 44100Hz 16 bit mono.

We do not need more than a minute or two of audio.

Status
Not open for further replies.