Pro-96 or Bcdd396t

Status
Not open for further replies.

pcgamer87

Now, Ive been wanting to get into back into scanning for sometime now, but, I am split in between the 96 and the 396t, Ive heard good things about them both, I'm not a guy of all the features and what not, I just value good reception, good audio, i.e. I don't need all the whistles and sirens on the radio. But, Ive researched by State\County they went to a digital system about 5 or 6 years ago I believe so I'm doomed to getting a digital radio.
So can you guys help me out here please? I know this question has probably been asked 100's of times and I apologize.

Thanks, Josh

rdale

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Premium Subscriber
It's personal preference between those two, so we really can't answer it for you. Look at the features each has, and decide which ones are more important for your listening needs.

Nitsud

I prefer the 396t, because then you can use the ARC396t software. I will say that the PRO-96 sounds better than the 396, but I still prefer the 396....again, its personal preference

N4JNW

I have owned both of these scanners.

Both are very good peformers, but you need to think about what's more important to you. Features, or Performance?

While the 396T is a pretty sweet scanner, it does have loads of features the Pro-96 could only dream of. It is smaller, lighter, and more compact than the Pro-96. The 396T also has in my opinion a better type of belt clip than the Pro-96.

But, the 396T just dosen't perform like the Pro-96 does. The 396T sometimes has a little hurdle decoding digital in my area. "LNK" flashes and it just acts like it dosen't want to decode the P25. My Pro-96 picked it right up as soon as the frequency keyed up.

So, it is my belief that the Pro-96 has a "hotter" recieve than the 396T does. Now don't get me wrong, the 396T is not deaf. It just isn't as hot as the 96.

Think of the two scanners as a Bentley and a Corvette. There's nothing like heated seats, and a nice ride, but, for some people, going 140 is more important. :D

Eng74

I have both and both are good raadios. I would wait tell the new GRE PSR-500. It almost sounds like you get the best of both worlds with the GRE-500.

rdale

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Premium Subscriber
There are still features that the PSR500 has, that the 396 doesn't, so it's still not "both worlds"

unitcharlie

a Kentucky DB Admin...
Premium Subscriber
pcgamer87 said:
. . . Ive heard good things about them both, I'm not a guy of all the features and what not, I just value good reception, good audio, i.e. I don't need all the whistles and sirens on the radio.

It depends upon how much you want to be involved in monitoring... I use both scanners and they have outstanding individual traits. The 96 is awesome when it comes to decoding the digital systems I monitor, the audio kicks; it is a very easy "one-handed" radio (Meaning: I can use the thing while doing a dozen other things and not skip a beat; press the proper button to hold or scan or do what I need to do.) The 96 hears things the 396 misses and vice versa--they complement one-another!

The 396 has an awesome "Close Call" feature, has I-Call capability but it is a pain to do some functions that require the pushing of the "Function" Button while twisting the Multi-function "Volume"/"Select"/"Squelch" knob... It is small and light--which, for me is detrimental--I am in the field and on the go... it lives in a pocket with a lanyard clipped to a vest so I don't drop it... I am on battery power for my entire shift, the 396 gets eight or nine hours at best with fully charged 2650 mAh NiMH rechargeables, the 96 is still going after ten hours on the same batteries... in all fairness I have about 70% of my memory full and frequently use the light because I work at night.

There is no "best of both worlds" kind of scanner unfortunately.... each model has things that make it best for a segment of the scanning public... but then a "one-size-fits-all" scanner would probably be worthless because so much would have to be sacrificed to make it work--for example I monitor only one agency with low band VHF so I don't care a whit about low band reception but need solid 150's, 450's and 850's in order to do my job....

Good luck, let us know what you finally buy!

Last edited:

Taloniilm

Be sure to double check the frequency steps on both radios. I had a 96 on the way when I discovered the freq steps wouldn't go where I needed to pull Military digital. Went with the 396 been very happy so far. Less than 6 months ownership time

jimyleg

Speaking in support of the bcd396t after this latest update.. I find the bcd396t is amazingly what it should be.. All the issues i had prior which were small have been eliminated. The sound is perfect the scanning seems to have been solved and i have nothing more to complain about. The ratshack's pro96 does not update off the internet iether.. So.. get the 396

hsdtech

Well there is one BIG difference between the two that hasn't been mentioned. The Pro-96 won't do 700MHz and the 396t will.
Don't know if this matters to you or not but its something I need. I bought my 396t brand new for $469 compared to a new Pro-96 at $399, I'd definitely say the 396t is the way to go.
By the way, I think the 396t audio is great. It sounds 100 times better than my Pro-97.

stevecubfan

Premium Subscriber
timmer said:
Man, maybe I better try some different batteries. My Pro 96 eats batteries. About 3 or 4 hours is all
what kind of batterys are you using ? I use 2500 rechargeable NIMH batterys and charger from walmart, plus I keep an extra set of batteries charged and ready. they last for hours. just remember to use the yellow battery holder for the pro 96.

N4JNW

When I had a Pro-96, it got better battery life than my 396T does. I could squeeze 10 hours out of my Pro-96, depending on how heavy I used the backlight.

The Pro-96's audio is way better than the 396T in my opinion. The 396T's audio sounds "tinny" and the Pro-96's seems to have more "depth" to it.

madnachos

I have a Pro96 and its a good scanner...but I would trade it for a 396t. The Pro96 lacks a lot of features that the 396t has and its 50 chan per bank just sucks....50 is not enough. Hell, I would take the 396t over the Pro96 just for the dynamic memory. The v-scanner feature of the Pro96 is nice but its no substitute for the dynamic memory feature of the newer Unidens. Why did I get the Pro96? Simple: Price. I got the newest version of the Pro96 for $380 delivered. For that amount of money its not too bad of a deal, but I would not be really happy if I paid retail for it, its just not that good.

madnachos

timmer said:
Man, maybe I better try some different batteries. My Pro 96 eats batteries. About 3 or 4 hours is all

Lots of crap NiMH batts out there these days. You should be able to run at least twice that long. Try some of the higher capacity Sanyo's, they seem to be consistently good. If that does not help check into a better charger. Some of the cheaper ones cant peak individual cells and cut off charging once one of the cells peaks so the other three wont have a full charge. Also avoid chargers with ridiculously quick charge times, they get the batts too hot and will slowly ruin them (or quickly).

Status
Not open for further replies.