US scanner in Canada

Status
Not open for further replies.

brian-a

I am wondering if I buy a scanner in the US will it work in Canada. I live in Pickering, Ontario Canada and want to listen to the Durham Region Transit frequency.

Thanks for your help!

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
I'm not familiar with the Durham Transit system/frequency(ies), but the likelihood is that a US scanner will work in Canada. There is very very little difference in the US and Canadian scanner/radio market, small enough that there's no company that I know of that makes a specifically Canadian scanner. The last 3 or 4 (or more) scanners that I have purchased have all come to me from the States and do everything fine - with very few problems.

The only things I've noticed are we have a different spacing/step rate in our VHF High bandsplit than the US does (I forget what they use, but it's 12.5, 7.5, or 6.25; one of those - and we use generally 5 khz splits). This is easily handled by any scanner, but it may default to the US spacing - not a problem to fix.

The other problem is pretty much on every scanner built, to my knowledge, and you may not even have a system near you that suffers the same fate. There's a system here in Alberta with a bizarro channel structure, which is 0.125 (IIRC) mhz off the American standard. This system cannot be scanned with a trunktracker because when the system tells a radio to go to channel xyz, the radio actually goes to xyz+0.125.

Sorry for the rambling response... the short of it is, you should have no problems getting a US scanner to work in Canada. :)

ibagli

There's no reason why a scanner that works in the US wouldn't work in Canada. I take mine across frequently and have noticed no difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.