Looking For Help Purchasing A New Scanner

Status
Not open for further replies.

69_rs_ss

First thing I'd like to say is I'm sorry for posting a question that is asked many times. I'm pretty new to the scanning hobby and was looking for some help with figuring out what scanner to purchase. I'll be listening in mainly 4 different areas that are running different systems it seems. Below are the areas/systems I am would like to listen to:

NYC Metro Area - Motorola Type I & II, OpenSky Standard, Motorola Type II Smartnet & EDACS Standard
Barnstable County, MA - Motorola Type II SmartZone & LTR
York, ME - Motorola Type II Smartnet
Johnson County, KS - Motorola Type II Smartnet & EDACS Standard

I'm looking for a handheld so I can retire the BC80XLT I am using since I know I won't be able to use it on most of those systems. Any help would bre greatly appreciated. Also, should I look at new antenna's while I'm at it and if so any opinions?

hoser147

Lots of Luck Study the RR database and you can check out many of the different scanners on WiKi and narrow down the field as to what you want in features and what you want to spend. If your going to go digital you might want to check out GRE later this month. Your in the right place to figure it out. Good Luck and Good Scannin.........Hoser147

madnachos

69_rs_ss said:
First thing I'd like to say is I'm sorry for posting a question that is asked many times. I'm pretty new to the scanning hobby and was looking for some help with figuring out what scanner to purchase. I'll be listening in mainly 4 different areas that are running different systems it seems. Below are the areas/systems I am would like to listen to:

NYC Metro Area - Motorola Type I & II, OpenSky Standard, Motorola Type II Smartnet & EDACS Standard
Barnstable County, MA - Motorola Type II SmartZone & LTR
York, ME - Motorola Type II Smartnet
Johnson County, KS - Motorola Type II Smartnet & EDACS Standard

I'm looking for a handheld so I can retire the BC80XLT I am using since I know I won't be able to use it on most of those systems. Any help would bre greatly appreciated. Also, should I look at new antenna's while I'm at it and if so any opinions?

At first glance I would say that a Pro97 would work well for you. Your outta luck on the OpenSky system...no scanner will monitor that...but the Pro97 will monitor EDACS, LTR, and Motorola trunked systems. Not sure what they are selling for now but often you can get them new (on sale) from RatShack for $150. Great radio for $150.

N4JNW

Something else you might want to consider is, the Pro-97 is NOT rebanding friendly. Meaning, when/if rebanding hits your area, the Pro-97 will pretty much be useless for the Motorola Systems, as it won't be able to track them.

hsdtech

Then again, for right now if your on a budget I also think the Pro-97 is a great choice especially for what they are going for on ebay. I've seen them go from between $50-$150(new). But all posts have given you great advice.
GL.

69_rs_ss

Thanks for the help so far. A rebanding friendly scanner will probably be the best since my area will no doubt be rebanding some time in the future. Would something like the BC246T be a better scanner?

mykel

the pro- 528 is rebanding friendly. I got one off of ebay for $80

N4JNW

If you can at all, grab a 246T. It's a scanner in a smaller package, with dynamic memory, and rebanding compliance. It can easily fit in your shirt pocket.

The Pro-528 is an awesome scanner for the money.. But, as I said, if I could find a 246T that's in good shape, I'd jump on it.

69_rs_ss

I found a place that has the 246T for $209 plus s/h. Before I purchase, should I look into any software or a better antenna to go with it?

N4JNW

You'll want both. I think there's a guy who has a 246T on here for sale for $175. If it's in good shape, that's a good deal, but then, pay $30 more hand have a brand new one.. :)

ARC246 is the software I reccomend for the 246T. It can be obtained on Butel's website, but I'm unsure of the cost. The new scanner will also come with a programming cable for your computer, which will be needed. ARC246 makes programming super easy, and failry quick. Much quicker than hand programming.

As far as choosing an antenna, that will really depend on what you want to hear. For local stuff, the stock dickie will work fine. But, if you're anything like me, you want to jerk in anything you can. For anything in the 800 mhz range, I reccomend the RadioShack 800 mhz duckie. Now I will warn you, for aircraft and UHF, this antenna isn't really much punkin', but for 800 mhz, it's unbeaten in performance for a duckie. It also performs on VHF reasonably well.

If UHF and VHF is important to you, I will reccomend the Diamond RH77CA. It's a bit long, around 16" I think, but dude, let me tell you, it ROCKS for UHF and VHF. It will also recieve 800 mhz decent, but not nearly as well as the RadioShack 800.

If the 800 mhz systems you're interested in are pretty local, within your county, or in a neighboring county, and UHF/VHF is important, go with the RH77CA. If you want to jerk in a 800 mhz system a little further away, the RS800 is your best bet.

You don't NEED an antenna upgrade right now, so for a few weeks, I'd stick with the stock duckie and see if it performs to your liking. If it dosen't, THEN upgrade. No sense in spending money when you don't have to. I would reccomend investing in softwares though as it will save you many headaches and sore fingers in the long run. :lol:

69_rs_ss

KG4LJF said:
ARC246 is the software I reccomend for the 246T. It can be obtained on Butel's website, but I'm unsure of the cost. The new scanner will also come with a programming cable for your computer, which will be needed. ARC246 makes programming super easy, and failry quick. Much quicker than hand programming.
I found the software and it is the usually $40 range so I'll be grabbing a copy.
As far as choosing an antenna, that will really depend on what you want to hear. For local stuff, the stock dickie will work fine. But, if you're anything like me, you want to jerk in anything you can. For anything in the 800 mhz range, I reccomend the RadioShack 800 mhz duckie. Now I will warn you, for aircraft and UHF, this antenna isn't really much punkin', but for 800 mhz, it's unbeaten in performance for a duckie. It also performs on VHF reasonably well.
I did pick up a Radio Shack 800 MHz Antenna a while back for the scanner I am using. It is model # 20-283 so I might be in luck there. Right now I'll most likely be sticking to the 800 MHz range until I find out more about UHF & VHF.

Thank you for all the help everyone has given.

69_rs_ss

KG4LJF said:
I found the software and it is the usually $40 range so I'll be grabbing a copy.
I did pick up a Radio Shack 800 MHz Antenna a while back for the scanner I am using. It is model # 20-283 so I might be in luck there. Right now I'll most likely be sticking to the 800 MHz range until I find out more about UHF & VHF.

Thank you for all the help everyone has given.

Status
Not open for further replies.