Scanning while driving

Status
Not open for further replies.

xpawel15x

Today I took my scanner with me for a drive and I noticed that every frequency was breaking up while driving. The faster I went, the more the signal broke up. I was using a ducky with my scanner. It seemed like the scanner couldnt "hold" the signal because the car was moving. Does everyone experience this? How to get normal reception? Thanks.

RayK

You might try an mag mount antenna,it sounds like your trying to receive in side the car while moving.

Raven95150

Premium Subscriber
It's not the fact that you are moving, It is simply because you are in a vehicle. Radio waves travel at the speed of light, so your vehicle moving at 60 or 70 mph really has no effect on reception. Being surrounded by metal inside a vehicle greatly reduces the signal strength getting to the rubber duck antenna on your handheld. For best results, you should get an antenna that mounts outside the vehicle and run coax to your scanner, or even a better rubber duck antenna might help. Make sure your antenna is designed for the frequency range you are trying to listen to.

Last edited:

Stick0413

Premium Subscriber
There could be a million reasons why it works for some people and not others. The vehicle you are in, what you are listening to, how far away are you, etc, etc, etc. I have no problems with my 96 and the RS 800 rubber duckie.

motomeso

Premium Subscriber
Could be because the system you are listening to was designed with portable coverage in mind and the one he is trying to listen to was not.

You could also be closer to the transmitter on your local system then he is and have less obstructions and / or better elevation.

KC9GLG said:
I wonder why my scanner with a ducky on it, works fine when its laying on the front seat. :confused:

xpawel15x

KC9GLG said:
"The faster I went, the more the signal broke up."

Kinda sounds like Alternator whine to me.

I was running my scanner with batteries, so could it still be the alternator causing this?

Status
Not open for further replies.