GRE Pre Amp

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fast1eddie

Hello, just received my GRE pre amp from GRE today. Although this product has been on the market for several years now, I finally got around to getting one. Very nice build quality. I'm interested in reading of other's experiences with this product.

I am using a 9v lithium battery, have not had much of a chance to experiment with it.

Thanks,

Ed

jmp883

The GRE amp usually brings up a lot of very polarized responses.

The proper answer is that it depends on your circumstances.

Here's my experience:

I live in northern NJ, about 30 miles northwest of NYC. I live in a valley and have a discone scanner antenna mounted about 15 feet or so above the roofline of my house. Before I bought my GRE amp I was lucky to hear my local PD and FD. After I bought and installed the amp the whole world opened up to me. Now I can hear everything in the upper third of NJ, basically everything north of Interstate 80. I can now also hear several southern NY counties, FDNY, and NYPD.

I also have a negative story regarding the amp. My parents live in Omaha, NE and I usually take one of my BC-780's with me when I go out to visit. I also take both the back-of-set antenna and a mag-mount antenna that I can put on the awning over the back deck. The first time I took the amp with me it overloaded the radio, and that was with either antenna. Once I shut off the amp and just went with the antenna plugged into just the radio I heard everything just fine. A great example of not needing the amp was when I was monitoring aircraft from Omaha. I was able to hear not only the aircraft in the air but also the controllers in both Kansas City Center and Chicago Center. Turn the amp on and that all disappeared. Gotta love flat geography for line-of-sight propagation!

Simply stated it all comes down to your specific circumstances. For me, at least while I still live in northern NJ, the amp works, and it works quite well.

Hopefully you've been able to benefit from it :D !

Dubbin

Feed Provider
I got about the same results as Joe. After getting some good coax I no longer have a need for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.