MI Scanner Legalities (Split Posts)

Status
Not open for further replies.

muledoe

from what i have been reading it is illegal. And from other forums people that have been caught saying that MI will not stand for it and judges dont care pretty much what the law states. u will be fined and your stuff will be taken away.

Dubbin

Feed Provider
muledoe said:
from what i have been reading it is illegal. And from other forums people that have been caught saying that MI will not stand for it and judges dont care pretty much what the law states. u will be fined and your stuff will be taken away.

Did you not read the post above yours?

muledoe

Yes, i did read it. But what i was trying to say is, even though it did change. IF you get stop and the police see it, they dont care they will hassel you as much as they can. Just because the law says its ok to, the police will ticket u for it and make some **** up.

Dubbin

Feed Provider
muledoe said:
Yes, i did read it. But what i was trying to say is, even though it did change. IF you get stop and the police see it, they dont care they will hassel you as much as they can. Just because the law says its ok to, the police will ticket u for it and make some **** up.

Let them make up what they want to make up, if the law says I can have it then I CAN have it. I'll tell him and the judge both what they can do with the ticket.

BTW I see that you just asked in this thread and the Mich forum about the law. If you didn't know the law behind it less then an hour ago then how can you say what you did about getting a ticket and such?

Now back on topic...

Chirs, are you planning on an in dash install?

muledoe

i asked in both threads around the same time. I heard from someoen before even asking that the law has changed but that person did not know certain what has changed. I think he said that it was legal only if scanning and not using for illegal purposes. But how would they know that. ans i said the thing about the ticket, just ebecause the law changes does nto mean all cops will follow it, or know about it. Thats why i said they will hassel u as much as they want/can.

thanks for the help though. i dont id tell the judge off though. He is an ******** and i know him personally and he gave me a ticket himself. I would ask him about this, but he would just tell me that he would send me to jail

Last edited:

dwilson48625

scanning is legal in mi, but, not in a car unless you have a permit (must be a cop,ff or ems type of person to get one) you CAN NOT however, have a scanner, or radar detecter in a commercial vehicle, this includes semi's (in any state). and no, you cant use scanners to commit a crime or use the info for financial gain, or, for that matter, divulge what you hear unless you have permission from both parties of the convo. cell's are still illegal ofcourse. but then again, why would ya wanna listen to a phone convo??
i believe im correct on all this info. if im not, plz correct me. thx

N8DV

Is scanning in Michigan legal from a car?

Basically no. If you are an amateur radio operator, you are exempted from the law. By now, most law enforcement knows the law. If you are a ham, make sure you carry you FCC license as proof that you are amateur radio operator. Better yet, have call sign license plates. I have been a ham for over 25 years and had scanners since then (crystal controlled ones!) If you have any questions, let me know.

N8DV, Fred

n2mdk

The Federal law says nothing about a scanner it's about having Amateur equipment that is capable of receiving public service frequencies.

bigbluemsp

The law states it is legal as long as you are not committing a criminal act with it in your presence. If you committ such an act then the act itself becomes a felony assuming it was a misdameanor.

This issue was clearifiyed by one of our leglislatures and a judge to be true.

mikey60

The law regarding the use of scanners in a motor vehicle in Michigan changed effective May 31, 2006. The complete law may be found at http://www.legislature.mi.gov/(S(ck...eg.aspx?page=getObject&objectName=mcl-750-508

I suggest you print out that page and you and your attorney bring it to the judge. He should have no choice but to dismiss the ticket UNLESS you are a convicted felon within the last 5 years.

The previous law had exemptions in it for Licensed Amateur Radio operators, and for those that applied for and had recieved a permit from the state police. You can no longer get these permits since the law has been changed.

Mike

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
dwilson48625 said:
scanning is legal in mi, but, not in a car unless you have a permit (must be a cop,ff or ems type of person to get one) you CAN NOT however, have a scanner, or radar detecter in a commercial vehicle, this includes semi's (in any state). and no, you cant use scanners to commit a crime or use the info for financial gain, or, for that matter, divulge what you hear unless you have permission from both parties of the convo. cell's are still illegal ofcourse. but then again, why would ya wanna listen to a phone convo??
i believe im correct on all this info. if im not, plz correct me. thx

That is not correct. The scanner permit is no longer required. When it was required you did not have to be a cop, firefighter, or EMS to obtain one. Anyone Michigan citizen with no serious criminal background could obtain a scanner permit from the State Police, for free, simply by filing out a simple one page form and request it.

Having a scanner in you vehicle in Michigan is legal unless you are in the process of committing a crime while in possession of the scanner. Normal driving infractions are not considered "committing a crime".

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014
mikey60 said:
...The previous law had exemptions in it for Licensed Amateur Radio operators, and for those that applied for and had recieved a permit from the state police. You can no longer get these permits since the law has been changed.
Mike, the link you provided also clearly states, "This subsection does not apply to a person who is licensed as an amateur radio operator ..." Did you mean to leave the impression that was no longer the case?

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
Fregan said:
Basically no. If you are an amateur radio operator, you are exempted from the law. By now, most law enforcement knows the law. If you are a ham, make sure you carry you FCC license as proof that you are amateur radio operator. Better yet, have call sign license plates. I have been a ham for over 25 years and had scanners since then (crystal controlled ones!) If you have any questions, let me know.

N8DV, Fred

It makes no difference if you are an amateur radio operator, or not. Everyone is treated the same.

mikey60

loumaag said:
Mike, the link you provided also clearly states, "This subsection does not apply to a person who is licensed as an amateur radio operator ..." Did you mean to leave the impression that was no longer the case?

Nope, not the intended impression. Under the current law, the only thing having an Amateur radio license gives you is the ability to carry a scanner if you have been convicted of a felony in the last 5 years. If you don't fall into that group, then having an amateur radio license means nothing under this law.

Mike

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014
mikey60 said:
Nope, not the intended impression. Under the current law, the only thing having an Amateur radio license gives you is the ability to carry a scanner if you have been convicted of a felony in the last 5 years. If you don't fall into that group, then having an amateur radio license means nothing under this law.

Mike
Hmm, based on that logic, and re-reading the statue, there is nothing in the statue against having a scanner in a vehicle unless you are committing a crime or are a past felon. Indeed, when reading the section, nowhere in the section (not counting the title) is the word "vehicle" mentioned, so in fact, a felon cannot have a scanner at all (unless he is a Ham). What is the question now?

Status
Not open for further replies.