WLO Radio Not Ham Radio but good interview

Status
Not open for further replies.

kingpin

Trailer Park Supervisor
Here's a local story my local news station did on WLO radio. They unfortunately labled it as HAM radio and called the operators Ham Radio Operators. I sent a nice email to the person doing the story explaining that WLO is a Commercial Maritime station and is not ham radio. I went on to explain the differences and our contribution to similar efforts. She wrote back thanking the clarification and said the internet news editor will change it. 4 hours later, no change, no big suprise there.

But anyway, here's a link to the video and story. It talks about WLO radio and what they do. You can see the station and the antenna farm. Well done I'd say.

http://www.myfoxgulfcoast.com/myfox...n=1&locale=EN-US&layoutCode=VSTY&pageId=1.1.1

w0fg

I used to go to sleep listening to WNU in Slidell working ships coming into NOLA. I sure miss those guys....best morse I've ever heard.

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Hi 902 and all,

I think you got your callsigns mixed up, WOO Ocean Gate was the AT&T HF transatlantic telephone link, WSC West Creek still in limited operation is the coastal maritime station. Before automatic SITOR operation it was a manned CW station, great listening for code practice.

BTW, the building and antenna farm at WOO are still standing even if the towers are a bit lopsided and visible south across the bay from the Pelican Island bridge to Seaside Heights. You can't miss the 300' LF WSC tower at the foot of Murphy Road off Rte. 9 that used to guide visitors to my house. Every time I watched the red beacon at night I thought like Wil Smith, I gotta git me one of THESE!

Joseph11 isn't far from WOO and probably dreams the same dreams I did about WSC. (;->)

Status
Not open for further replies.