I am totally confused on how to use this site...

Status
Not open for further replies.

heyjoojoo

I have a BC780 xlt and I would like to program it using software. I have Proscan but I'm clueless on what to do next.... do I import frequencies into it or must I program them in one-by-one? Where do I get those database freq files to import into the software thus programming the 780xlt?

- Kareem
Richmond, Ca
USA

ryangassxx

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
hoser147 said:
click on database at the top of the page it should take you there...........hoser147

I think he knows where the database is, just not sure how exactly to get the freqs directly into his scanner...

heyjoojoo,

I'm not entirely sure how your software works as I'm only really familiar with the radio shack scanner software, but try copy and pasting the entire table of freqs that you want and pasting in into the first channel cell on the software.. If it's anything like mine, it'll autofill the other channel cells...

Can you elaborate on exactly WHAT freqs you're trying to obtain? Are they conventional, trunking, or what?

Also I don't know that this site "officially" supports compatibility with scanner software. It does tend to be very scanner software friendly at times, but I don't know that it's actually designed for direct scanner software entry... Just a database.. Search a freq, note the freq..

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Ryan and others - well maybe not 'officially', but there are numerous software packages that will allow you to connect to the database and download data directly into your software when you become a paid subscriber. However, there is nothing I know of that would work this way for the 780. There is one possibility - ARC780 from BuTel (available from Scanner Master) advertises a WebCatcher that supposedly would download freqs from web pages. Perhaps other ARC780 owners can comment on whether that works here or not.

Oh and by the way - this site does not just have a database and a set of forums - we also have an extensive wiki with loads of information. 73s Mike

heyjoojoo

Thanks people,

ryangasxx, you hit the nail on the head. I'm really targeting any freq type (trunking or conventional). I got the impression that the Proscan wants to import some sort of database file. So I was looking for that. I also have the ARC780 which looks like it has more features but not sure how to add trunk/conventional freqs to that one as well..

gcgrotz

Sometimes you have to copy and paste to something like excel, and then save that file as .csv (comma separated values) that your scanner program may be able to import. I can't begin to count how many times I did that in the past. Being a paid member of RR helps with that.

You may have to experiment and learn by doing, there is little risk of "breaking" anything. The end result may not work in your scanner so you try something else. That's how most people on here learned to do it.

fmon

Silent Key Jan. 14, 2012
ProScan will import ProScan xml or frequencies from clipboard. It will export to ProScan xml, html, comma delimited or tab delimited.

If all you need is frequencies,
1 in ProScan click the Database tab and select a bank
2. select and highlight a list of frequencies from any source in any format then right click and select copy
3. in ProScan, click Database Menu (top left) and select Import >Clipboard.
4. click ok in the import dialog.

fmon

Silent Key Jan. 14, 2012
heyjoojoo said:
Thanks people,

ryangasxx, you hit the nail on the head. I'm really targeting any freq type (trunking or conventional). I got the impression that the Proscan wants to import some sort of database file. So I was looking for that. I also have the ARC780 which looks like it has more features but not sure how to add trunk/conventional freqs to that one as well..
Don't think ARC780 has Internet import feature.

You can hlight, rightclick>copy from a database page in RR and paste into excel using the steps in this Excel from HTML pdf. http://webpages.charter.net/fmon/

Last edited:

heyjoojoo

Is there a special technique required to program the trunking frequencies? I believe I just press the 'trunk' key on the 780xlt... There's a series of beeps that occur on the trunking freqs - is this normal?

fmon

Silent Key Jan. 14, 2012
heyjoojoo said:
Is there a special technique required to program the trunking frequencies? I believe I just press the 'trunk' key on the 780xlt... There's a series of beeps that occur on the trunking freqs - is this normal?
Indeed there is a required technique. The Menu button on the scanner is the start point. In the owners manual you will find a section called Programming and Receiving Trunked Systems.

The beeps indicate you may have programmed the BART frequencies but have them in conventional mode rather then trunking. However, software is the easier method for programming trunking systems.

In ProScan, click the Trunk Bank Settings tab to set up trunking.
In ARC780, use the Trunk menu and select System Settings to get the Trunk Configuration dialog.

a29zuk

If you are programming the 780 without the software you have to program both the bank AND each frequency what type of system it is. You'll probably have to do the same thing if you are using software.

heyjoojoo

I think the problem is that I dont think I understand how to enter the frequencies via the software. I have both Proscan and ARC780 installed and I keep bouncing back and forth thinking that perhaps I'll understand how to program them. It's not happening. I found a source of trunking frequencies which allows you to download the file in txt format. I assumed that there was a way to import this file into the either of the apps thus preventing me from having to do the extensive programming. When I've gone into both of the places suggested, I dont know what to do from there. I thought the software was supposed to make it easier but I'm struggling with it (sigh).

fmon

Silent Key Jan. 14, 2012
These pics will illistrate how to set ARC780.
1. is the main freq setup
2. is the Trunk Menu
3. is bank settings
4. is talkgroup and tags
The zip is an excel file with the frequency page ready to copy and paste and the talkgroup and tags ready to copy and paste.

Last edited:

heyjoojoo

Fmon:

Thank you for the captures. I've programmed one system thus far. And all is working well. Yeah, this is much easier than doing it directly on the 780.(thanks to your screen captures)

2 questions: (I think these might be easier to reply to though)
1. In the 'Trunk ID' capture above, I see there's a way to edit the list tags but is there a way to edit the 'tags'?

2. Other question, can you program more than one trunking system into the same bank of the 780xlt?

captclint

Mentor
heyjoojoo said:
1. In the 'Trunk ID' capture above, I see there's a way to edit the list tags but is there a way to edit the 'tags'?
Yes, You just edit in the tag cell.
heyjoojoo said:
2. Other question, can you program more than one trunking system into the same bank of the 780xlt?
Only under rare circumstances. It is best to have each system in separate banks. However, I believe the 780 can have both trunk and conventional freq's in the same bank.

Last edited:

fmon

Silent Key Jan. 14, 2012
The Capt's answer are correct. And great you got er working.

Regarding two or more trunking systems use the following stipulations:
1. They must be Motorola 800 or 900 systems. No Mot VHF/UHF, EDACS or LTR.
2. The scanner will only track the first system CC acquired or until it is out of range.
3. If traveling and your have say...12 different Mot systems (each with 4 rotating CC's) and (each using the same band plan) one could set the bank to CC only with that plan and program 4 rotating CC freqs for one system followed by the next 4...etc. If two plans are required, use a second bank for that group of CC's. This would fill one bank with 48 freqs. However, programming Scan List will indeed be a challenge.

fmon

Silent Key Jan. 14, 2012
One more point on filling in Tags.

If they are the same, you can left click and hold in a cell with a tag then drag down highlighting cells below which will have the same data. Then release left button and right click and select Fill Down. You can also do this with several cells in a line by dragging across and down.

Status
Not open for further replies.