148.03425 (?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lyman

Greetings,

Hoping someone can help with this. What on earth is 148.03425, why does it keep rearing it's ugly head, and why can't I lock this out!? If I'm listening for, say, an hour, it'll pop up four or five times. I've yet to hear a Human voice behind it....

I've looked in various databases but to no avail.

Thanks!

Lyman

Jim41

Lyman said:
Greetings,

Hoping someone can help with this. What on earth is 148.03425, why does it keep rearing it's ugly head, and why can't I lock this out!? If I'm listening for, say, an hour, it'll pop up four or five times. I've yet to hear a Human voice behind it....

Thanks!

Lyman

If you post this question in your State Forum and list you county/city, you will probably get a faster and better response.

Might just be some interference or some unruly ham ;). What type of scanner do you have? Does it come up when you 'scan' (saved channels), or 'search' (searching for frequencies)? If the former, and you don't know why it's in there, clear the channel (or program 0 as the frequency on some scanners).

fineshot1

Lyman said:
Greetings,

Thanks!

Lyman

1. Its in one of the military sections of the vhf-hi band so there will not be a listing.

2. The frequency you listed is not on a valid channel boundary so your search would not turn up anything anyway. I'm guessing you are in search mode when this pops up as you say, or perhaps you are using a scanner with close call or similar.

3. You did not mention where you are and what scanner you are using.

4. More details would help us to help you.

Lyman

wannabescannist said:
Might just be some interference or some unruly ham ;). What type of scanner do you have? Does it come up when you 'scan' (saved channels), or 'search' (searching for frequencies)? If the former, and you don't know why it's in there, clear the channel (or program 0 as the frequency on some scanners).
Thank you for the prompt reply. The Scanner is a RS Pro-96. As for where this frequency came from, it was apparently contained within the database for Massachusetts as found within Win-96, and it appears when scanning. :(

I'll go in and delete it using the software...was just curious why it cannot be locked out.

Thanks again!

Lyman

KF4ZTO

What kind of Pro-96 do you have? Mine only does 5 kHz steps in that range. So the radio would read 148.035. Which, if I remember correctly, is a MARS repeater output.

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014
Lyman said:
Thank you for the prompt reply. The Scanner is a RS Pro-96. As for where this frequency came from, it was apparently contained within the database for Massachusetts as found within Win-96, and it appears when scanning. :(

I'll go in and delete it using the software...was just curious why it cannot be locked out.

Thanks again!

Lyman
Um, Win96 does not come with any frequencies and has no database. If you mean one of the original V-Folders, I can't find that frequency and as KF4ZTO points out it would round to 148.035 if entered either directly into the scanner or in the Win96 software. Given that, where are you seeing this?

Lyman

fineshot1 said:
1. Its in one of the military sections of the vhf-hi band so there will not be a listing.

2. The frequency you listed is not on a valid channel boundary so your search would not turn up anything anyway. I'm guessing you are in search mode when this pops up as you say, or perhaps you are using a scanner with close call or similar.

3. You did not mention where you are and what scanner you are using.

4. More details would help us to help you.

Thanks. The Scanner is a RS Pro-96. I am approximately twentyfive miles North of Boston. This frequency will pop-up while sanning a given Bank. Again, I can only assume it is part of the file that I obtained and is in there for whatever reasons. I can delete it, and will, but it does beg the question why it cannot be locked out....

>The frequency you listed is not on a valid channel boundary

New to Scanning, I want to learn all I can. What constitutes a 'valid channel boundary'?

Lyman

Lyman

KF4ZTO said:
What kind of Pro-96 do you have? Mine only does 5 kHz steps in that range. So the radio would read 148.035. Which, if I remember correctly, is a MARS repeater output.
Thanks, KF4ZTO. Checking again, it is 148.03425.

>What kind of Pro-96 do you have?

The Pro-96 I have is a portable Unit, purchased a fdw weeks ago. Are there varying Models of this?

Thanks,

Lyman

Lyman

loumaag said:
Um, Win96 does not come with any frequencies and has no database. If you mean one of the original V-Folders, I can't find that frequency and as KF4ZTO points out it would round to 148.035 if entered either directly into the scanner or in the Win96 software. Given that, where are you seeing this?
You're absolutely right, these frequencies did not come from Win-96. These came from a file (State of MA) from another Forum which was then loaded into the Scanner. This is not from the V-Folders.

I'm going to see if I can get a screen capture of this and then post same. Looking at it right this moment, it is in fact saying 148.03425, and as a Priority Channel no less!

Thanks,

Lyman

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014
Lyman said:
You're absolutely right, these frequencies did not come from Win-96. These came from a file (State of MA) from another Forum which was then loaded into the Scanner. This is not from the V-Folders.

I'm going to see if I can get a screen capture of this and then post same. Looking at it right this moment, it is in fact saying 148.03425, and as a Priority Channel no less!

Thanks,

Lyman
Better idea, upload the Win96 file here (either zip it or rename the extension) and we can look at it.

Lyman

I appreciate that as now I am pulling my hair out. I could not file 148.03425 anywhere in the .p96 file. It has to be there, but in all honesty I made three passes and was unable to locate same.

Attached please find a .Zip file containing 082707.p96 (just downloaded), IMG_0315.JPG (image of the scanner display with that blasted frequency), and for the heck of it the Win96.ini file.

I should add that whether I set this for PRIORITY or not, that frequency will appear and will appear as 'Pri Channel'.

MANY thanks for your help with this...much appreciated!

Lyman

Attachments

• Scanner.zip
    141.5 KB · Views: 67
  • img_0315.jpg
    img_0315.jpg
    151.4 KB · Views: 433

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014
Lyman said:
Globally, or just for that Channel? If the latter, I've done that via the Keypad but to no avail.

- Lyman
No, turn off priority, you have nothing in the Priority Channel, so what you have showing up is garbage. You can't turn priority off for a channel, thats not the way the Pro-96 works, only globally. And the file you uploaded has it turned on and nothing set as a priority channel, see the picture.

Last edited:

fineshot1

Lyman said:
Thanks. The Scanner is a RS Pro-96. I am approximately twentyfive miles North of Boston. This frequency will pop-up while sanning a given Bank. Again, I can only assume it is part of the file that I obtained and is in there for whatever reasons. I can delete it, and will, but it does beg the question why it cannot be locked out....

>The frequency you listed is not on a valid channel boundary

New to Scanning, I want to learn all I can. What constitutes a 'valid channel boundary'?

Lyman

Lyman - pm me with your email address and I will email you a pdf file with alot of info regarding channel boundaries or if you have a recent copy of the police call cd it is on
that cd rom disk. It is called " ConsolCD1x.pdf ".

Lyman

fineshot1 said:
Lyman - pm me with your email address and I will email you a pdf file with alot of info regarding channel boundaries or if you have a recent copy of the police call cd it is on
that cd rom disk. It is called " ConsolCD1x.pdf ".

I just sent you a PM, and many thanks!

Lyman

Status
Not open for further replies.