Scanner Frequencys and Agency Request

Status
Not open for further replies.

*not trying to stir up anything* no names ;)

Can you program Rx freqs in your portable or scanner legally? I was told that a agency can tell you to take out the freq.

I was told not to have a ems freq in my portable?????? But I contacted the fcc they told me that I can RX ems/fire and police when not in a car and RX ems/fire while in a car and that I can not TX on a freq without authorization.

That like saying you cant have a scanner

Thanks

DickH

7586 said:
*not trying to stir up anything* no names ;)

Can you program Rx freqs in your portable or scanner legally? I was told that a agency can tell you to take out the freq.

I was told not to have a ems freq in my portable?????? But I contacted the fcc they told me that I can RX ems/fire and police when not in a car and RX ems/fire while in a car and that I can not TX on a freq without authorization. Thanks

The FCC is a federal agency. The only federal rules about that are cell phone freqs. Otherwise you can put whatever freqs. you want in your scanner.
There are some state restrictions on mobile scanner use, but they vary from state to state.
If an agency tells you to take a freq. out of your scanner, YOU should tell them to --- well, you know what to tell them, I hope. :)

;)

DickH said:
The FCC is a federal agency. The only federal rules about that are cell phone freqs. Otherwise you can put whatever freqs. you want in your scanner.
There are some state restrictions on mobile scanner use, but they vary from state to state.
If an agency tells you to take a freq. out of your scanner, YOU should tell them to --- well, you know what to tell them, I hope. :)

ha ha ha ;) I would.................but this agency is my ems agency ;)

Raven95150

Premium Subscriber
7586 said:
ha ha ha ;) I would.................but this agency is my ems agency ;)
As in you work for them?

Does this portable radio/scanner belong to you or them?

If it is their radio, then they can definitely tell you what frequencies you can/can't have programmed in it.

If it is your personal radio, they can't tell you what you can/can't listen to, even if they are the licensed user of the frequency. They can however tell you that you can't use this radio while you are on duty, on their property, or in their vehicles. If you are off duty and at home or in your personal vehicle, they have no say in what you can/can't listen to on you personal radio/scanner.

;)

Its was my personal HT1250.

And they said not to have it on Rx or Tx or they would call the police and have my radio tooken away. (WHICH THEY WOULD OF CAUSE.............) :)

SAR923

AH, now the truth comes out, it's not a scanner, it's a personal transceiver. I'm sure the agency took one look and thought you had it so you could transmit on their frequency using an unauthorized radio. Whether true or not, most agencies are going to react the same way when they see a Moto portable in the hands of someone that wasn't issued a radio. If you're on duty, you already have a way to listen to the traffic. If you're off duty, get a SCANNER and I doubt that you'd have any problems.

scanfan03

Premium Subscriber
I can't believe your own EMS agency won't let you listen to them. That's bs. Have it programmed for recieve only and show them you can't key up on it. They can't say a thing unless you are in a state where mobile radios on a person (or in a car) are illegal. Is it a trunked system?

RolnCode3

scanfan03 said:
I can't believe your own EMS agency won't let you listen to them. That's bs. Have it programmed for recieve only and show them you can't key up on it. They can't say a thing unless you are in a state where mobile radios on a person (or in a car) are illegal. Is it a trunked system?
Gee. Get fired, or give up your radio. Tick, tock. Tick, tock. Which is it gonna' be?

If it's a public agency, they just might have some enforcement powers. They can't say anything? He *works* for them. Unless you're pulling an Office Space and you just don't care anymore, I'd suggest playing by the rules.

Instead of doing it, getting caught, and trying to justify it, another possibility was to ask for permission. Sometimes you get it, sometimes not. Then you find out what's acceptable - and don't get in trouble.

:)

Yea, Its not trunking.

But I programmed RX on thier freq anyways. ;) and now they know cause I showed them.

W4KRR

Premium Subscriber
7586 said:
But I programmed RX on thier freq anyways. ;) and now they know cause I showed them.

You knew they didn't like it and you showed them anyway? :roll:

What did they do?

;)

Well PROB FF and EMT-B (IT) so im a general member. But I still have some pull. ;)

I been a member for about 5 years now.

***We had an issue about me and the radio ;) and I yelled at my LT and ADV ;) ;) Thats why

END OF THIS DISCUSSION ABOUT THIS ISSUE ;) They may me watching ;)

N9JIG

Sheriff
During your duty hours or when responding on calls they can tell you that you may not use radios or other equipment that does not belong to them if they so choose. Off duty if you want to have a radio programmed for receive only on the agency frequencies you may do so without any permission from them. This applies to a scanner or a 2-way that is set for RX only.

While some agencies, especially one that relies on POC or volunteers, allow personal radios to be used, many agencies do not. This is to reduce the liability and to reduce the chance of incorrectly programmed or maintained equipment. It also may be due to misinformation, but it is really up to the discretion of the Command Staff.

Of course some states have restrictions on mobile use so comply with that during off-duty time.

The best thing to do is that when working do what the Chief says.

SAR923

If you thought they might be watching you, why did you even start this post? Do you have a ham license? If not, why do you need the HT1250? I sense that you've had more problems with radios with your agency than you're telling us. I suggest you follow orders from the Chief before your job title goes to "Unemployed".

dwilson48625

this is for a personal scanner? or company radio?? if its in your personal scanner, than no, u cant be arrested for havin ems in it. btw, this looks suspiciouslly like another thread on the site that the person was worried about usin a scanner.. wont name names though, but i had a good laugh about the whole convo.. later

SkipSanders

Silent Key
Don't count on 'at home is none of their business', in these days when companies will fire someone from smoking at home, anywhere, at any time.

If they say 'no', and fire you, can you afford a nice long and expensive court battle to hash it out whether they can or not? If not, think hard about 'challenging the boss'.

'Being arrested' isn't the threat. 'Being fired', is.

Last edited:

Stick0413

Premium Subscriber
n4voxgill said:
five years and still a proby, ???????

I was kinda thinking the same thing. I don't know if you are volunteering or paid but 5 years either way is a long time. With the volunteer stuff I am starting I will be a proby for about 3 months (from about the 3 month period to the end of the academy.)

Back to the original topic. They truely don't have a say if you have their frequency in your radio or not. As long as you don't transmit on it they can't really do anything. In either case I would keep it on the hush as not to pi$$ them off. I don't see why you showed them when you know they didn't approve in the first place.

com501

7586 said:
Yea, Its not trunking.

Probably explains the five year proby thing. 'Bad decision making.':roll:

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014
Okay, given it has been two weeks since the OP has posted in this thread and his last post indicated he was not going to continue the discussion, I see no reason to keep "picking" at this subject.

Thread closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.