Scanner on Plane Y/N?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kdarmy

Will be flying out of Tampa this weekend for a trip to Cincinnati. Is there any problem with bringing my scanner with me in my carry-on bag?

I checked on the TSA site and could not find anything which told me I couldn't, but I am trying to avoid any surprises before I try.

Thanks for the help,
Keith

KC2GVX

Premium Subscriber
I have brought mine in my carry on bag every time I fly. Never a question or issue. Just keep it turned off once you are on the plane. It makes for good listening at the airport as you are waiting though. I just kept it turned off along with my cell and laptop in the carry on bag, and TSA didn't look twice at it.

N4JNW

Technically, the RULES say NO... But, in the rules, "No electronic devices in use" also refer to cell phones, MP3 players, laptops, etc.., which are quite commonly used on an airline flight.

I would ASK the flight attendant to ASK the PILOT if your scanner would be ok on the flight. Worst they can do is say "no", in which case you would have to keep it off in your carry on luggage.

If you have no plans to actually listen to the scanner in flight, it should be no problem, and as mentioned, it will pass the time while waiting in the terminal. Once you board the aircraft, it would be my advice to switch it off however.

Last edited:

N1GTL

Database Admin
The last time I flew was pre 9/11 but I brought a GPS on the plane. While boarding, I stopped at the cockpit door, told the pilot I had a GPS and asked if it was OK to use one we were at cruising altitude. He told me sure and thanked me for asking. It was interesting seeing a GPS read 33K altitude and 500+ MPH.

Bring it and ask permission. He may tell you no or he may tell you which frequencies to listen to.

GrayJeep

Premium Subscriber
Scanner in carryon

I just took my Pro-96 from Denver to Seattle and back again. Not even a second glance thru screening.

Don't use it on the plane. Even if the pilot says ok he doesn't actually have the authority to allow it. Best to not look abnormal to anyone when onboard.

NW0U

ibagli

NW0U said:
Don't use it on the plane. Even if the pilot says ok he doesn't actually have the authority to allow it. Best to not look abnormal to anyone when onboard.

NW0U

That's the pilot's problem then.

garys

Premium Subscriber
KC2GVX said:
I have brought mine in my carry on bag every time I fly. Never a question or issue. Just keep it turned off once you are on the plane. It makes for good listening at the airport as you are waiting though. I just kept it turned off along with my cell and laptop in the carry on bag, and TSA didn't look twice at it.

I've also carried mine in my carry on many times without a problem. The problem occurs when you want to USE it, which I don't think the OP was asking about. I've never had anyone from TSA ask about anything in my bag except my laptop. I usually have a camera, scanner, laptop, GPS antenna, and assorted other accessories in my carry on.

The only thing I ever had confiscated was as set of screw driver bits. I didn't even have a handle, because it was in my checked luggage. Weird.

Gary

elk2370bruce

I have carried my radios as carry on baggage all over the world. Once on the plane, leave them in the bag. Airline rules are set by the airline and the pilot cannot go against them. To avoid the never-ending war of words about this subject. Please refer to previous threads here on RR.com. All of the arguments are already stated and defended ad nauseum and nothing new will be gleaned by another episode.

troymail

Silent Key
I've taken mine on many times - the only problem I had once was that the antenna got picked up on the xray and they thought it was a knife (wire running through the plastic/rubber coating).

Once on board, I believe there is a generic rule that says no radios can be turned on and because of that, I've never even considered/attempted to turn it on... but like someone else said, it's interesting to listen while you're waiting to board...

(three edits to get the word "wire" to come out -- err - I must be tired).

n2mdk

Long before 9-11 I used to fly with my Amateur hand held. At that time it was a Yaesu FT-470, I would bring it on board and have them ask the pilot if it was OK to use. I never once had one say no. They didn't want me using it until after takeoff but I made some great contacts that way.

ryangassxx

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
n2mdk said:
Long before 9-11 I used to fly with my Amateur hand held. At that time it was a Yaesu FT-470, I would bring it on board and have them ask the pilot if it was OK to use. I never once had one say no. They didn't want me using it until after takeoff but I made some great contacts that way.

I cannot believe they would allow that,.... Of all things that may be in the gray area, a reasonably powered hand held HAM radio would CERTAINLY not be allowed.. They don't even want gameboys and other misc electronic devices on because they may emit very minute amounts of radio signals, let alone a handheld MADE for transmitting over long distances...

I can't imagine any such scenario taking place post 1950... Even before 9/11 they would never let you use a ham radio aboard an aircraft.. Was this some eastern European or soviet airline or something?

ibagli

ryangassxx said:
They don't even want gameboys and other misc electronic devices on because they may emit very minute amounts of radio signals

They are (as of last week) allowed during flight. They aren't allowed during takeoff and landing, but that's because they're missiles of death in the event of some kind of sudden corrective action. Nothing that receives or transmits is currently allowed though.

According to my Delta Sky magazine from this month, the following are allowed at the gate and above 10,000 feet:

Laptops
Handheld games (pic is of a gameboy)
Audio Player
DVD/CD Player
Video Camera
PDA
Noise Canceling Headphones (power on)
Wireless Mouse

The following are always allowed:

Pacemaker (good to know)
Hearing aid (also good to know)
Noise canceling headphones (power off)

The following are never allowed to be used:

Radio
TV
External Drive
Satellite Radio

But yes, scanners (turned off) can be taken on board. Some overzealous TSA agents may question it, but they can't actually do anything.

n2mdk

ryangassxx said:
I cannot believe they would allow that,.... Of all things that may be in the gray area, a reasonably powered hand held HAM radio would CERTAINLY not be allowed.. They don't even want gameboys and other misc electronic devices on because they may emit very minute amounts of radio signals, let alone a handheld MADE for transmitting over long distances...

I can't imagine any such scenario taking place post 1950... Even before 9/11 they would never let you use a ham radio aboard an aircraft.. Was this some eastern European or soviet airline or something?

Not asking you to believe it just making a statement of fact. No used it on American Airlines flights between NY and CA. and Air Canada between NY and Montreal and Halifax.

rcvmo

I had a BC 760 and HT 1000 in my carry on a short flight one week prior to 9-11-01. The security agent noticed it on the radar screen, pulled me off to the side and asked to empty my contents while summoning an LEO. LEO asked if both radios could be activated in which the HT1000 yes, the scanner no. After reveiwing my license and other ID, I was allowed to board the plane with the equipment in my carry-on. Although I knew the LEO, the proper protocol was to inspect the carryon.
rcvmo

Steveradio

I just got back 2 weeks ago from Orlando to Trenton and had no problems. The voice at the TSA check point overhead announcement said to place all electronic equipment, laptops, cell phones in the bin turned off and I just placed my 97 in the bin with no questions asked.

I guess it depends on what airport/ agent and threat level we are at.

Steve

james07731

Premium Subscriber
I fly at least 6 flights a year and never had a problem. I fly either Continental or Spirit.

When Continental makes there announcement to turn off all unapproved electronics they refer you to a list in the back of their magazine and scanners are specifically listed.

I have turned it on and scanned the police bands and heard loud & clear transmissions, even at 30,000 feet. I have listened in the airport, but I use my walkman headphones & keep the radio in my bag, only because in this day and age, you have to worry about someone reporting "suspeciious behavior". Just be discreet about it.

Don't listen to the ground crews - only because when you hear how unprofessional they sound on the radio, you may worry about your safety on the plane.

Scan the 460-470 band for their business band & don't forget about Family radios that passengers may be using. Look ahead for airport PD & security freqs. Enjoy

N9JIG

Sheriff
Kdarmy said:
Will be flying out of Tampa this weekend for a trip to Cincinnati. Is there any problem with bringing my scanner with me in my carry-on bag?

I checked on the TSA site and could not find anything which told me I couldn't, but I am trying to avoid any surprises before I try.

Thanks for the help,
Keith

There are no rules against bringing on board with your carry-on or even on your belt. TSA may ask what it is or to turn it on and make sure it works. Have a local weather channel programmed in it.

Operating it on the aircraft depends on the rules of the airline and the flight crew. Some airlines prohibit the use of a radio receiver at all on board their aircraft, some allow it after the seat belt signs are turned off. Regardless of the company rules the flight crew may tell you that you can not use it, and you must comply.

If you are allowed to use it be sure to wear earphones, iPod ear buds work great and nobody will notice what they are connected to most of the time. In addition these usually work with the in-flight entertainment systems on most airlines.

As for what you will hear...

CloseCall works well, I have followed our flights by just using CloseCall on my 396. The most interesting tidbit I got was when our flight was being diverted due to a sick passenger the pilot was talking to his Arinc base, I had more details than I needed about the poor girl.

On another flight we were over Colorado and I was able to log several dozen control channels for their statewide 800 system in the 30 or 40 minutes I played with my Pro96 then.

N

N_Jay

N9JIG said:
. . . . .Some airlines prohibit the use of a radio receiver at all on board their aircraft, some allow it after the seat belt signs are turned off. . .. .

I have yet to find a US carrier that allows radios to be used in flight.

If anyone knows of one please post a link.

Status
Not open for further replies.