GMRS Radios

Status
Not open for further replies.

Astro25

A GMRS License. I think it's $75 for 5 years is it?

Unfortunately, it's not that "regulated" anymore, and has become more of a "UHF CB" just as FRS has. But, that doesn't mean you shouldn't get the license.

shaft

Astro25 said:

Unfortunately, it's not that "regulated" anymore, and has become more of a "UHF CB" just as FRS has. But, that doesn't mean you shouldn't get the license.

Your close, its $85 and yes its good for 5 years.

ryangassxx

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Astro25 said:

I think these days with GMRS and FRS being one in the same really, and the GMRS band being included with many inexpensive "bubble pack" radio's, it really seems like the FCC is sort of implying that people can really just go ahead and use GMRS radios without a license.. They MUST know that 90% of all people who buy a $30 set of FRS GMRS radio's are just going to load them with batteries and start using them.. On most of those cheapo radio's there's really no way of knowing that you've crossed from the FRS to GMRS band either.. The channels just go from 1-whatever and at some point the channels become GMRS channels.. Realistically, "ordinary" non radio savvy people, are not going to know the difference, and in most cases not even know they're doing anything wrong... Which is why it seems like these radio's are being marketed like this on purpose,.. The license is more of a fee more than anything anyways.. You don't gain any more "authority" because you've paid $85 for a slip of paper.. Sort of like a fishing license.. Just a small way the FCC devised to create a small revenue stream. They probably had big ambitions for it at one point, that it would become immensely popular and so many people would use it and they could install repeaters everywhere, it would be big business. But it never did so they probably have abandoned the entire model. If the FCC doesn't care, honestly it's a dead law... No license required,... go ahead and use your GMRS radios freely..

Last edited:

w0fg

SAR2401 said:
The Infinity line of radios is very impressive and you can get models that are both FCC Part 15 and 90 compliant. The price is very reasonable and they will work just fine with GMRS. If you're a ham, you can have the best of both worlds with this radio. More information at http://www.nevesuniforms.com/productdetail.asp?groupnumber=1143 .
They may be Part 15 and Part 90 compliant, but I wonder if they're type accepted. They look suspiciously identical to the Chinese radios you can buy on eBay..like this:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Pair-UHF-walkie-talkie-5W-FM-400-480MHz-TWO-WAY-RADIO_W0QQitemZ250159179476QQihZ015QQcategoryZ1502QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

cellblock776

Try the vendors over at Popular wireless. RK Leef and NSI just to name a couple advertise quality repeater capable radios and have good reputations there on the forums.

trooperdude

Database Admin

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
Motorola UHF HT1000's make great GMRS radios. They're easily found on eBay, along with various accessories.

WayneH

Forums Veteran
Super Moderator
prcguy, be nice! You could have presented your opinion in a different way before I deleted it. Try it again, but without the threats.

n8emr

w0fg said:
They may be Part 15 and Part 90 compliant, but I wonder if they're type accepted.
Part 15 is for the receiver, part 90 is the transmitter. COmpliant and type accepted are the same.

I didnt see where either of the radio's had any FCC compliance.

prcguy

Ok.
I would like to express my opinion regarding certain people advising others to put themselves at legal and monetary risk by operating GMRS radios without the proper license. Many of us have invested time and money in very nice GMRS repeater systems and it really makes us frustrated to see the blatant disregard for FCC rules and increase in interference from the unlicensed users. If necessary, we have the means to locate and politely persuade the unlicensed interfering users in So. Cal to migrate to a more appropriate FRS channel to communicate freely amongst themselves. I urge other readers to follow the FCC rules pertaining to GMRS use or any other service requiring a license to operate. Sometimes it costs a few bucks to do the right thing and in this case, it is the right thing to do.
Respectfully,
prcguy
wayne_h said:
prcguy, be nice! You could have presented your opinion in a different way before I deleted it. Try it again, but without the threats.

RayAir

I wish someone would make a better GMRS radio than the bubble pack ones at the store. I guess you could buy a HT1000 or something and have it programmed to GMRS. Speaking of citizens bands, why hasn't anyone made a MURS radio yet. I have never seen a MURS radio for sale at any store.

rescue161

KE4FHH
Database Admin
Ray_Air said:
I wish someone would make a better GMRS radio than the bubble pack ones at the store. I guess you could buy a HT1000 or something and have it programmed to GMRS. Speaking of citizens bands, why hasn't anyone made a MURS radio yet. I have never seen a MURS radio for sale at any store.

Radio Shack used to sell MURS radios. They were around $100.00 each. I never bought one.

prcguy said:
Ok.
I would like to express my opinion regarding certain people advising others to put themselves at legal and monetary risk by operating GMRS radios without the proper license. Many of us have invested time and money in very nice GMRS repeater systems and it really makes us frustrated to see the blatant disregard for FCC rules and increase in interference from the unlicensed users. If necessary, we have the means to locate and politely persuade the unlicensed interfering users in So. Cal to migrate to a more appropriate FRS channel to communicate freely amongst themselves. I urge other readers to follow the FCC rules pertaining to GMRS use or any other service requiring a license to operate. Sometimes it costs a few bucks to do the right thing and in this case, it is the right thing to do.
Respectfully,
prcguy

I could not have said it better myself!

bezking

I use a group of HT750s on GMRS with (hopefully) an HT1250. This way if some one is in trouble I can see the MDC ID on the 1250 and know who's talking.

I agree w\ PCRGuy - I could literally spend a whole day chasing people off of GMRS by saying "WHERES YOUR CALLSIGN"!
And if they don't get off, the guy who owns the local GMRS repeater system, Ray WPUF920 will actually get in his car and GPS the illegal transmission and threaten to call the cops!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.